What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2013 Memberships

BunniesMan

Immortal
To continue on that tact completely ignores his main point - that South Sydney have a higher membership base than crowd average. That means, particularly when away fans are accounted for, that there are A LOT of members who actually DO NOT go to games.
This is a load of rubbish. We are #2 in Sydney in crowds. That is excellent. We are #1 in memberships. That is outstanding.

There is nothing there to bitch about.

My mistake, I looked across to the H&A column. Still not as big a difference as the memberships would suggest. And in 2011 Manly had a higher average than Souffs despite substantially lower membership.
FFS. In 2011 you had made the finals 6 years in a row. We had made the finals once in the previous 22 years.

Even now. With 2 decent seasons in a generation we have considerably more members and bigger crowds than Manly who are unparalleled in their on field success.

Our crowds were #2 in Sydney last seaon. I wonder where they'll be if we manage 8 years in a row of finals footy.

Manly on the other hand, the good times won't last forever. You will miss the finals at some point. You will have bottom 4 years. Where will your crowds be then?
Can't believe people are knocking Souths for having non-ticketed members... It's just silly, I wish every club had their 'problem'.
Precisely. Having a non ticketed membership is a good thing. EVERY club should be doing it. We shouldn't be bagged for it.

Von

Juniors
Mate, I never gloat about Souths numbers.

And I don't bag anyone's numbers.

And the comment I made about Manly was to highlight the "silliness" of his comment.

All clubs should be encouraged by the NRL to boost membership numbers AND the clubs should encourage fans to do it. Souths have been very active in this dept (over the past 4-5 years [esp in the existing member referring new members to SSFC]). I don't know about other clubs but I'd imagine they'd be doing the same now.

I also got tired of begging my SS workmates who could afford it to sign up and become a member. Just a member. They say they'd die for the club but aren't a member...BS! And there's plenty of reasons why people aren't members / ticket holders, and that is cool too.

And at the end of the day, I want all clubs to have more members so every game I go to, Souths involved or not, there's a big crowd with plenty of atmosphere.

Well said Hatter!

Lambretta

First Grade
That doesn't make sense because your crowds average last season was roughly similar to your membership figure. If a lot of Easts fans are SCGT members then the crowd average would be greater.

I'm not saying they go, rather it's a disincentive to buy a membership in the first place.

Trust members go if it's a big game or if the team is going well - but they tend not to turn up in big numbers if the team is playing like..... well they have for the past two years.

The "members" area of the SFS (the area above the tunnel where members of the SFS rather than the Roosters sit) generally has between 1,000 (small games) and 2,000 (big games) in it on match day.

Remember that out of approx 10,000 members a certain number are non ticketed or have the cheap bronze membership and probably don't come to every game. After all, it's not a massive incentive to rock up if you've paid $9 per game.

Our average gate was about 10,000 for the past few years - so assuming 65% of our members come to every game, that still allows for 1,500 trust members and 3,000 pay on the day people.

I would imagine those figures aren't far from the truth.

If there weren't any SFS members then I would imagine the Roosters would have a couple of thousand additional members each season. That was the point I was trying to get across originally.

PS - I am not saying other clubs don't have the same issues (Broncos for example) - I'm merely saying that it does hurt our membership numbers.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
You're a battler. Firstly, our average crowds are much higher than our TICKETED membership count.

Secondly, if thousands of people want to become non-ticketed members (essentially a $90 donation to the club), then that's brilliant. Something the Bulldogs could do much better.

And again, you've ignored the thrust of my argument.

The non-ticketed element is all well and good (more clubs should promote that they have the option more widely), but if your ticketed memberships are actually that low that they're below your average crowd then there's work to be done, and in terms of membership revenue you're probably not *that* far in front of everyone. The 22k is deceiving in that sense IMO, as most other clubs have generally 80-90% ticketed.

But I digress. My point is that the club needs to be looking at converting NT to T and get more bums on seats at games. Generally, more bums on seats means more people buying stuff like merchandise at games etc, which makes the club more money again. Win win for all and a positive story to boot. Probably also helps Souths Cares charities when those game day opportunities take place. Bigger crowd = more donations.

This is a load of rubbish. We are #2 in Sydney in crowds. That is excellent. We are #1 in memberships. That is outstanding.

There is nothing there to bitch about.

Your ability to skew statistics to make things look better than they really are is astounding.

Can you not understand how deceptive it appears to be trumpeting y amount of members, then have only x crowd turn up? It looks even worse when you put it alongside co-tenants Canterbury, who have only x members, but a massive y crowd turning up.

As I said to yobbo above, there are things that Souths does well, and areas they could improve on. The club won't survive if non-ticketed becomes the dominant purchase, especially if the footy team regresses into the bottom half of the comp.

RWB

Bench
I'm surprised the Bulldogs membership hasn't increased more, given arguably their biggest season since '04 and still plenty of optimism for the future.

It's amazing the week I've had speaking to people who are RL people and are "FMD - it's footy season again. Already?!? Where did summer go?! The cricket's just finished'.

I bet there's a stack of members bundled in there who haven't renewed yet because it's still 'summer'.

Silly argument I know, as footy always starts in Feb with All-Stars...but summer did seem to go awfully quickly this year. The 1st Test vs Sth Africa only seems a couple of weeks ago, but it's been three months!!!

Anyway...footy's back. Encourage people you know to sign up. Me, I've been signing up everyone's dog, cat, goldfish and nanna out the back as a 'pet member'.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
The pace is definitley picking up as season approaches. Have seen and heard a lot of membership ads the past 2 weeks good to see

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'm surprised the Bulldogs membership hasn't increased more, given arguably their biggest season since '04 and still plenty of optimism for the future.

Quite surprising actually, I'm slightly disappointed.

Although in saying that, I still haven't renewed mine. Will be doing so next week.

juro

Bench
Wow, we're moving quickly now. Should easily be at 10k by season kick off at this rate.

Add 5 more...just signed up my brother and I and our kids.
Gees, you're a close knit family! :shock:

Latest posts