What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2013 QLD Origin Side

BranVan3000

Coach
It has to be said... GI to Fullback? I know that invariably we will ask, "Where does Slater play?". Well, I dunno. But, is GI, or is GI not, playing better football, and by a country mile, at Fullback than Slater is?

I'd honestly consider him at wing in a revolving role with Billy.

big hit!

Bench
We do have a bit of a crisis in our pack this year; Civo retired, Hannant out, McG battling with injury. Scott and Shillo are great players but I dunno if they can cope with any extra workload.

Hala for 18th man? Maybe a bit too early for the kid.

nah, you blokes won't make the same stupid selection and game time errors as NSW. Meninga and the selectors will pick blokes who are actual props and Meninga/Henry will give them no more than 45-50 mins in the middle.

NSW are hell bent on playing guys like Gallen there to fit in more backrowers in the squad and then play him there for 80 mins. That's how NSW lose the battle in the middle, and ultimately, the game.

I can see the QLD forwards unit going along the lines of:

PF - Scott
PF - Shillington
MF - Myles
LF - Harrison
RF - Thaiday
IP - Kennedy
IP - McGuire
IF - Parker
IF - Gillett

or even shifting Myles into the prop. he's much more of a prop than Thaiday is.

PF - Scott
PF - Shillo
MF - Parker
RF - Thaiday
LF - Harrision
IP - McGuire/Kennedy
IP - Myles
IF - Teo
IF - Gillett

watatank

Coach
Inglis won't be fullback until Slater is injured or QLD loses a series. No incentive to change otherwise. Could be a "mistake" that NSW capitalise on, probably not though.

chigurh

Kennedy is starting and up against Scott and Tamou tonight, a big test for him.

I'm hoping he forces his way onto the bench. I think we need four front rowers and would prefer to keep Myles and Thaiday in the backrow.

Hopefully Mal has had a quiet word with him and we see some big performances.

kickback

Juniors
I QLD has to pick a utility player this year that can cover halfs and dummy half! We have to blood some new players like we did with copper Cronk! I wonder if DCE is up for it ? I think he can handle origin he is playing some good tough footy at Manly!

clipser

Juniors
So because Lawrence doesn't appear in an eligibility list for QLD or NSW, does this rule him out as a bolter?

lockyno1

Post Whore
I QLD has to pick a utility player this year that can cover halfs and dummy half! We have to blood some new players like we did with copper Cronk! I wonder if DCE is up for it ? I think he can handle origin he is playing some good tough footy at Manly!

Where will he play? He is a halfback! We have a better one in Cooper Cronk, like Cronk DCE can bide his time playing for Manly.

AceAv

Juniors
DCE can play any role from 3,4,5,6,7,9 -He's incredibly talented. I think Slater should be on the wing and Inglis to FB. But I doubt we will change things up for game one.

My QLD wish list:

1. GI
2. Slater
3. Tate
4. Hodges
5. Boyd
6. JT
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Shillington
11. Thaiday
12. Myles
13. Harrison
14. Parker
15. McGuire
16. DCE
17. Gillett

lockyno1

Post Whore
You would be more sensible picking Barba and I am not sure I would- at least Barba can play in more than 2 positions (halves, flullback- although there will be 3 fullbacks in the starting 13 anyway). I struggle to see the need to pick a halfback on the bench- Inglis covers 5/8, JT covers halfback. DCE should be 18th man and come in ONLY if there is an injury to JT/Cronk.

chigurh

This year I think we will need size on the bench, even moreso than the last few series.

I'll pass on DCE, as good a player as he is.

Dazzat

First Grade
NSW will be going for size this year in the pack with a choice between Tamou, Grant, Fifita, Mason and Woods.

I hope and pray that the selectors blood Kennedy before they default back to Jacob Lilyman who is surely coming to the end of his career.

As for breaking up the Melbourne spine by putting Slater on the wing ... that's just insane.

Cronk was an ideal bench player for a couple of seasons because he had played wing and centre for Melbourne. As opposed to DCE who is a pure halfback. If we do have a back on the bench, I'd go for Barba, but otherwise, stick with Gillett, Teo or McQueen, all of whom can in the centres and push Inglis to 5/8 if needed.

The only injury that would provide a challenge would be Cameron Smith, but these days you don't pick a bench to cover injuries, but to ensure you have six fresh forwards on the field at all times.

ranga68

Juniors
Papalii is injured as well.....

Not sure about McGuire's fitness......

Maybe Taylor has the door opened for him?

McGuire fitness is fine played 51 mins outplayed taylor , bird , myles. was only rested so that Hala and Wallace got more game time.

big hit!

Bench
NSW will be going for size this year in the pack with a choice between Tamou, Grant, Fifita, Mason and Woods.

I hope and pray that the selectors blood Kennedy before they default back to Jacob Lilyman who is surely coming to the end of his career.

you'd think so, but apparently not.

Word is, and from the way Daley is talking about it, he's going to persist with Stuart's strategy and go small and mobile again. Gallen at prop with Tamou, and only one other fully fledged prop on the bench.

He probably thinks that they can finally expose the QLD forwards this time considering the maroons are down both Petero and Hannant in the middle rotation from last season.

If QLD go 4 props as usual, only way NSW can expose them with a smaller mobile middle unit is by completing more sets.

I wouldn't be surprised if QLD are hesitant on debuting two props in the one game and might only opt for one and shift Myles (who plays prop anyway) there instead. That way, Parker comes onto the starting side in the middle with Scott, Myles, Parker & Smith. Thaiday & Harrison will stick to the right and left edges of this.

McGuire/Kennedy (one of) & Shillo are the bench rotation for the props, with perhaps T'eo and Gillett the small forwards. It might make interchange rotations a bit difficult in that neither of T'eo or Gillett are really middle forwards. Perhaps Thaiday could shift into the middle when Parker has a spell as he has been playing here for Brisbane all year anyway, and Gillett comes onto Thaiday's right edge. Then Parker can replace Thaiday after his stint.

I'm sure the composition of the forwards when Hannant went down has caused Meninga/Henry a bit of a headache. It was logical to blood a new prop to replace Petero and basically carry on as normal. But now potentially two fresh faces in the middle could severely impact the way QLD have recently dominated it here.

Big Pete

Referee
Revised

1. Billy Slater
2. Brent Tate
3. Justin Hodges
4. Greg Inglis
5. Darius Boyd
6. Jonathan Thurston
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Mat Scott
9. Cam Smith
10. David Shillington
11. Nate Myles
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Ashley Harrison

14. Ben Te'o
15. Brenton Lawrence
16. Corey Parker
17. Josh Papalii

18. Daly Cherry-Evans

Been calling for Hodges to retire as I don't believe he offers the Maroons enough to skip out on this entire period of club footy but he's going to be there.

If it was up to me, Tate would be at right centre with Gagai on the wing.

Last edited:

Dazzat

First Grade
McGuire/Kennedy (one of) & Shillo are the bench rotation for the props, with perhaps T'eo and Gillett the small forwards. It might make interchange rotations a bit difficult in that neither of T'eo or Gillett are really middle forwards. Perhaps Thaiday could shift into the middle when Parker has a spell as he has been playing here for Brisbane all year anyway, and Gillett comes onto Thaiday's right edge. Then Parker can replace Thaiday after his stint.

Good post mate. Such a shame that Taylor hasn't come on and realised his potential because he could fill both front rower and back rower roles.

If Stuart goes for the mobile back option, I think Queensland should match him as in reality we will have four props in the starting side in Myles, Thaiday, Scott and Shillington.

Maguire on the bench with Teo, Gillet and possibly McQueen should cover provide enough go forward.

Is Brenton Lawrence really eligible. I heard he was born and raised in in Adelaide and therefore not eligible for either team.

some11

Referee
Is Brenton Lawrence really eligible. I heard he was born and raised in in Adelaide and therefore not eligible for either team.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...brenton-lawrence/story-e6frep5x-1226649545389

"There are a number of criteria that have to be worked through in a case like this one but, essentially, it got back to the fact that Brenton Lawrence was born in Queensland," a league spokesman said yesterday.

Both Orr and a Manly spokesman said last night they had not been officially told of the decision while Lawrence's eligibility was also argued at length recently by the 2GB Continuous Call team.

Son of Minto

Bench

f**king hell Walshaw is a mug. How are Qld being sneaky? Thinking about selecting a born and (till he was 8) raised Qlder. Those sneaky Qlders!!! Walshaw is a hack.

Lawrence, in Adelaide as part of a military family, technically a South Australian product and the scorer of an eye-catching Titans try yesterday, wants to play for Queensland. “I go for Queensland,” he said, by way of explanation.

“Because I was born in Mackay, I’ve always supported Queensland.

http://www.nrl.com/a-new-origin-debate-emerges/tabid/11019/newsid/68108/default.aspx

Last edited:

isaiah

Bench
Revised

1. Billy Slater
2. Brent Tate
3. Justin Hodges
4. Greg Inglis
5. Darius Boyd
6. Jonathan Thurston
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Mat Scott
9. Cam Smith
10. David Shillington
11. Nate Myles
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Ashley Harrison

14. Ben Te'o
15. Brenton Lawrence
16. Corey Parker
17. Josh Papalii

18. Daly Cherry-Evans

Been calling for Hodges to retire as I don't believe he offers the Maroons enough to skip out on this entire period of club footy but he's going to be there.

If it was up to me, Tate would be at right centre with Gagai on the wing.

lawrence and papalli will not BOTH be selected, maybe one.