What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2013 Ratings Watch

Raiderdave

First Grade
I predicted Ch 9 would reap in about an extra 1 million veiwers ova the first 4 weeks by splitting the 2 Friday games & putting one on the Thursday

looks like I won't be wrong ;-)

Billythekid

First Grade
I predicted Ch 9 would reap in about an extra 1 million veiwers ova the first 4 weeks by splitting the 2 Friday games & putting one on the Thursday

looks like I won't be wrong ;-)

I wonder how long it will be before they decide to scrap the second Friday night game. The ratings when they just show the same game in both states works out about the same really. Having 2 games so they can choose the best for each state doesn't have much impact i think. It does cause the delayed game to rate probably half as good as it would if it was on at a decent hour.

I wonder the same about super Saturday. Surely eventually we will see a situation where 2 games overlap. Even if it meant having a 3.30 game. Sure it won't rate as well as a game at 5.30 or 7.30 but i feel like it would rate better than a game at 9.30.

Canard

Immortal
I think those ratings show that Thu night might become something of a fixture from next season onwards (its finishing in the next two weeks isnt it?)

Also a sharp drop in Melb ratings, I assume due to the pre-season GF in the other code. It shows that Melbourne people will watch League if there is no clash, so its probably worth trying to schedule Storm games accordingly.

docbrown

Coach
With a 9th game up for grabs in future maybe we'll see Monday dumped in exchange for regular Thursday games and maybe a permanent Sunday twilight match.

I'd still suggest though that the Friday double header would be kept because Saturday & Sunday would already be filled up and there's probably more value in the Friday slot then a Sat or Sun noon game (except for NZ).

Something like -

Thursday Night - FTA game of the week
Friday Night
Friday Night
Saturday Arvo
Saturday Twilight
Saturday Night
Sunday Arvo
Sunday Arvo
Sunday Twilight - STV game of the week

applesauce

Bench
Well I guess we have found what will fund the competitions expansion when 9 say they want Thursday every week.

bobmar28

Bench
Channel nine should continue with the Thursday night game. Much better than staying up late for the second Friday game.

Billythekid

First Grade
Not bad. I think we will struggle to get a huge amount more than that whilst the game is being hidden on GEM.

Dogs Of War

Coach
With a 9th game up for grabs in future maybe we'll see Monday dumped in exchange for regular Thursday games and maybe a permanent Sunday twilight match.

Can't see the Monday night game going. But I do agree that Thursday night games will become a regular fixture, only have to look at the history of it in the nfl, we are following there lead, just need channel 9 to ensure its shared around better.

If we got a 9th game, and one of the teams was Perth, I think that the warriors and perth should always play on a Sunday given that those time slot work so well in Australia. Not to mention the benefits of exposure in those markets with times that will give the best possible crowds and ratings.

Billythekid

First Grade
Erm did my post get deleted or did i just forget to submit (don't think there was anything inflammatory in there).

Broncos ratings are not comparing all that favorably compared to games not even involving a QLD side. Channel 9 must be regretting having so many broncos games this year.

undertaker

Coach
Erm did my post get deleted or did i just forget to submit (don't think there was anything inflammatory in there).

Broncos ratings are not comparing all that favorably compared to games not even involving a QLD side. Channel 9 must be regretting having so many broncos games this year.

I know this will sound unfair on those few genuine Broncos supporters on this forum, but I would love to see them have a very bad season just to see that ugly, smirky frown on Gyngell et al. I know there's many on this forum (even Broncos supporters) who are sick and tired of seeing their team on most Friday nights (and believes that the Cowboys and Titans should get more QLD Friday night matches) and a terrible season to the Broncos will not only probably mean the end of Anthony Griffin:lol:, but more importantly will make Ch9 reluctant to stack their FTA distribution predominantly in one or two clubs. I know the situation where every team gets the exact number of FTA games will never happen, but there does need to be a MORE even distribution amongst the 16 teams. NZ Warriors however are least affected by the FTA distribution, since Warriors fans in NZ can watch all of their matches on Sky Sports in NZ (and furthermore, LIVE, including the Ch9 Sunday match which is only delayed in Australia). So, it doesn't surprise me much if only less than a handful of their matches are covered by Ch9. For the other 15 Australian teams though it's a different story

Last edited: