What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2013 trials :: F7 All Stars vs F7 Marauders

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Forum 7s - Trials - 2013

F7s All Stars VERSUS F7s Marauders

badge_allstars_200x200.jpg
VERSUS
badge_marauders_0.gif

Game Thread:
* This is a game thread only. Only game posts can be made here - team lists, substitutions, and articles.
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.

Naming Teams:
* 5 -V- 5 (+ Unlimited reserves for both teams)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named

Rules: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.php
Official Word Counter: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/wordcount.php

Kick Off: Sunday 10th February 2013 (6:00pm AEDT)
Full Time: SUNDAY 24th February 2012 (11:59pm AEDT)
Referee: TBA
Venue: The Front Row Stadium
ground_tfr_1.jpg

Last edited:
badge_marauders_0.gif

The 2013 Marauders

CobyDelaney
(Ninjas)
gUt (Ninjas)
Marshall_Magic (Rabbitohs)
Misanthrope (Titans)
Titanic (Titans, vice captain)

edabomb (Ninjas)
Non Terminator (Referees Boss, captain)

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
First in, best dressed...

Willow (c)
Bubbles
(vc)
Everlovin' Antichrist
Monk
Drew-sta

LeagueNut
Tanner Ave

Good luck one and all :thumn

________
F7s2012-IMPROVEDTEAM.jpg

F7s2012-MINORPREMIERS.jpg

F7s2012-PREMIERS.jpg

gUt

Coach
badge_marauders_0.gif

Cutting Corners

Kevin Hughes had made the grade. His head was spinning with the speed he’d been swept up in the glamorous lifestyle of the professional footballer. As a rookie recruited straight from school his profile had risen in his local community. His parents beamed, old school teachers were calling to congratulate him and everywhere he went pats rained down upon his broad back.

So why had he been brusquely summoned to the coach’s office, in the middle of a weights session? His agent was glaring at him with a disappointed scowl as he entered and closed the door.

The atmosphere in the room was cold and unfriendly. Kevin seated himself beside his agent and he glanced at the pile of papers on coach Chandler’s desk. He spotted the Australian coat-of-arms in silhouette directly above the words 'Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority'.

He cursed himself inwardly and recalled the battery of tests he’d been subjected to some months ago. An unbidden series of images flashed in his mind: a new career snuffed out, humiliation, shame, disgrace and worst of all, the prospect of having to get a real job.

As Kevin started to panic a voice in his head reminded him he’d never knowingly taken anything that could possibly be construed as a performance-enhancer.

“We’ve been looking over these test results young fella”, began Coach Chandler. “We’re concerned with some of the findings in this report.” He said this with the air of a disappointed father close to the end of his patience and gestured at Kevin’s agent to continue.

Danny Tranz was usually a slick, smooth operator. Today he seemed slightly ruffled and off-balance. He was a man confronted with the wholly sickening and alien feeling of not being in complete control of a developing situation.

“Hughesy, when I first signed you and brought you to the club do you remember the conversation we had with your parents?” Kevin swallowed and nodded. “At that meeting we all promised to do one thing to allow your career to launch in the best possible way. Remind me, what’d we all promise?

“To do our best”, Kevin mumbled with eyes downcast. There was a frosty, awkward pause before Tranz continued in a low voice brimming with suppressed fury.

“That’s right Hughesy. So, let’s talk about gestrinone and bolasterone. Stanozolol, mibolerone, clenbuterol…” he trailed off as he picked up the sheaf of papers from ASADA. He continued in an exasperated tone of voice.

“How about exemestane? Know anything about anastrozole? Clomiphene, 19-norandrostenedione, buried under some desmopressin or furosemide?” He stopped and looked up pointedly. “I could go on.”

Kevin squirmed in his seat, unable to summon a single word of protest. He had absolutely no idea what that list of words meant but it sounded bad.

“Kev, this is an ASADA report based on the samples you gave some time back. This is serious, mate-“

Coach Chandler crashed both of his fists down hard on his desk with a sound like a cannon shot.

“Not a f**king trace of a single stimulant, steroid, masking agent, hormone or metabolic modulator. NOT! A! ONE!” the coach raged. “I thought you told me this kid wanted to play in my team, Danny!”

“Calm down Brian, I told you we’d work this out.” Tranz turned to his young client. “Kev, you promised me you’d do your best, but you’ve clearly been cutting corners. You somehow expected to play in the big league without assistance. What were you gonna do to make the side? Pray? Use magic? You young bloody fool!” he spluttered.

Kevin couldn’t answer; couldn’t believe what he was hearing.

Coach Chandler pressed an intercom button and the club doctor accompanied by two huge men came into the office and placed themselves behind Hughes. His agent pulled out a copy of Kevin’s contract.

“It’s too late to begin chemical enhancement for this season Hughesy, so the club is activating clause 345.3(a) of your contract: Forced Enhancement Surgery. If you aren’t prepared to do the work you need, the club will do it for you. You are to have gorilla muscles installed, bull testicles attached, a buffalo skull-plate and hawk’s eyes. Get going!”

Kevin was dragged out of the room in terror. Coach Chandler sighed. “It’s a shame these kids don’t take their careers seriously, Danny. Try to find me players with more integrity in future.”

Tranz nodded, stood and followed his screaming client down the corridor and into the club surgery.

747 words

Last edited:

Bubbles

Juniors
Bubbles takes first hit up for the All Stars!

WTF

Air, tepid breath against the nape of my neck, nostrils flaring as waft of barbecue bliss infiltrates my nasal passages, spitting sizzling dead animal and the chirping chorus of cicadas providing the soothing score for this peaceful February evening.

“Footy’s on” the low booming baritone of my husband’s voice breaks through my peaceful reverie and I am at once alert, launched upwards from my seat as if someone has lit a stick of dynamite beneath my derriere.

Moments later we are perched on the couch, happy grins spreading across our faces from cheek to glowing cheek. “Love this time of year, babe; sitting in footy shorts and a singlet watching the footy. You know I love it.” And I do. “Any chance you’re wearing underwear?” I ask, voice betraying the rhetorical nature of the question, unsurprised when the response comes in the form of guttural grunts, which I take as man-speak for “You for real?” OK, mental note; prepare yourself for random scrotum sightings – check!

Pre-match entertainment over, the whistle is blown and we are in nirvana, less the grungy angst and death by firearm. By quarter time our tongues are wagging, reeling from Ben Barba’s hat-trick feast of tries, sublime ball playing by Thurston, the influence Cameron Smith has on any game he competes in and the fact they’re all bloody Queenslanders!

Quick dash off for a bathroom break and re-emergence into the living room to catch the words, in auspicious looking capital letters “MARCH 7” stretched across the television screen, followed closely by the sound of a text message rumbling onto my phone. It’s my ex-husband and I can all but feel the sadistic glee emanate from the touch screen. It reads: “SBW OMG MARCH 7! Would have to be your favourite ad at the moment?”

Wave of nausea, quickening heartbeat and I know that I have just missed, by the hair on my chinny-chin-chin, the moment I have most been dreading since it was confirmed that my Roosters had signed Sonny Bill. The circus is in town. Roll up, roll up! Gather around and hold your collective breaths as you witness the amazing spectacle that is... is it a Boxer? Is it a Union player? Is it a League Player? No, ladies and gents, it’s the amazing three-in-one athlete! Now, stand... nay, bow in awe!

The mood changes, brooding bile-soaked expectation hunching shroud-like above my shoulders. Two nervous, strained ad breaks later and I am in horror. The shirtless torso, head down, wankiest of all the promo styles utilised by the NRL, slow lifting of the head and the words...SBW...OMG...MARCH 7.

Apoplectic red-eyed outrage! Hair-pulling, neck bulging hysterics! Aneurism-inducing, bowel clenching anger!

When I look back at the year that was, 2012, a season where disappointment tipped the scales over football happiness and where selective memory is the key, there are but a couple of games that stand out for me, for my beloved Chooks. Unfortunately, one of the greatest for our fans has now become indeligibly linked with the rematch game when the tables were cruelly reversed, being of course the game against our bitter rivals, the Rabbitohs, pinging them at the post, only to be delegated to the unenviable role of pingee the next time we met.

This is what this game is all about, the first game of the NRL 2013 season, Roosters v Rabbitohs. This is the oldest, and arguably the most bitter of rivalries in the game. This is two clubs, two teams, two sets of fans set against each other like Montagues and Capulets; give no quarter, expect no quarter.

What this is not is, this is not the SBW Roosters against... who cares? OMG... oh my f**king god is right! I understand all the arguments for promotions and pandering to Gen Y, however, my blood curdles at the circle-jerking, media salivating, text-talking carnival that’s arrived in the place of my club, my team, my footy.

To me, this sickening promotion of a single player, a player who hasn’t been a part of this sport of ours for years, who’s integrity and honour are at the least questionable, who has deigned to grace Rugby League with his presence for a year, is at the least disrespectful. It is disrespectful to two foundation clubs who take part in a clash that, thanks to recent exploits, promotes itself.

I have only one thing left to say in this ragged rant of mine - NRL... WTF... TODAY!

Monk

Referee
Monk kicks early in the tackle count. Hoping to catch the defenders off guard.

749 Words.

League 101

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to my early morning League 101 lecture. In this course I shall teach you the basics of supporter knowledge; so as to hopefully prepare you for any situation in the future where league knowledge may become necessary. If you were looking for League 199, Referees’ Interpretation of the Rulebook, I suggest a frontal lobotomy, as it would be a far quicker and more cost effective way to understand the course material.

Back when I was a young boy, times were a little different. Scrums meant a little bit more, while the ratio of bare skin to tattoo was a little bit less but alas, times, as they say, are a-changin'. This should be at the forefront of any League supporter’s mind after a big win, or during a losing streak. This leads us to our first module, which is the vast series of laws which govern our great game. We may not have the time to cover them all but we shall do what we can.

“Thou shalt always remember Bowraville is located in the great state of Queensland”

If you ever find yourself at a loss for words in heated State of Origin discussion, you would do well to remember the string of players who have questionably pledged their allegiance to Queensland over the years. The complete list can be found on page 37 of your Prescribed Textbook which can be purchased at the Bookshop for the small price of $153.99.

Also on page 37 you will notice that we have the Brian Smith expression, which you should all remember is a constant. For those of you who have forgotten, we must recall that the product of Minor Premierships, Regular Season Victories, Finals Wins and Premierships will always be zero when Brian Smith is part of the equation. Unfortunately there will be no formula sheet for your final examination so I’m hoping you are all writing this down.

Does anyone have a question? Fire away son!

“Sir, you told us to remember that times are always changing. So how can we assume that these equations will continue to prove true?”

That is a very good question! Tell me this though, what is the probability that the sun will rise tomorrow morning?

“Pretty much 100%”

Correct you are, and should it not, the world would plunge into undoubted chaos and we could see the very end of humanity itself. Now, I cannot see the future, but sometimes there are things we need to not happen just so the world continues to spin. This is why many were afraid that 2012 was truly the end of life as we know it. The crime of arson was prolific, as were apocalyptic survival-style suburban bunkers, all because South Sydney made it to the Prelims. They were dark times, but Rugby League pulled out the other side. Some will tell you that having Cronulla or Souths win a Grand Final is akin to the sun failing to rise in the mornings and should the odds be defied, chaos will surely ensue.

My final lesson for today focuses on the Commentators Curse. You have seen many a player miss the unmissable conversion, or magically get tripped up just before scoring a treasured try. If you thought this sheer coincidence, then you would be sadly mistaken. It has long been found that a commentator’s knock will reduce the chance of success by 50%. Now you’d think that the same thing would happen at the other end of the spectrum. That is, should a commentator say a player is going to miss a shot, then their chances would increase by 50%, however countless studies have found the resulting probability rise is closer to the 15% mark.

Now that covers pretty much everything I wanted to take care of today. In next week’s lecture we will be discussing Pub Protocol and we will answer the much argued question “When is it okay to drink Light Beer?” I’ll leave you all with this question which was taken from the Prescribed Textbook. It should be easy enough to answer.

Q2.2.8 – Commentators Curse.

If Jamie Soward (kicking at 82% for the season) lines up in front of goal to kick a conversion and Rabs says “He will knock this one over and extend the lead to six”. What is the probability he will miss the conversion attempt?

A: 82%
B: 41%
C: 59%
D: 50%

Easy as piss right? Class dismissed.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Drew-Sta fires up for the first game of the year. He pulls his All-Stars gear on and runs straight into Monk.

---

LOOKING IN THE MIRROR

mirror.gif

The drug scandal hovers above rugby league like a storm about to break. A lot has been said about the affair but one question remains inadequately answered: why? Why did this happen? Or, more importantly, why does this keep happening? Why do teams, players and clubs look to cheat by breaching the salary cap, exploiting the rules or using performance enhancing drugs? I think I can provide some insight.

Within sociologists circles there is a train of thought being investigated which believes sport reflects society; a mirror, of sorts. Matthew J. Mitten suggests in a journal article that:

'Although sports has a special place in our culture, it mirrors society's values. There is a reciprocal relationship between sports and societal values. Sports incorporates society's existing values and reinforces these values on the playing field, in its rules, and through its established institutions. Sports also exports its principles and the lessons learned from participating in athletics and its governance to society in general.'

These are confronting words. They suggest how we compete and play sport is a mirror of how we live and behave in society. If I were to suggest that the current NRL crisis reflects the moral decay of the general public, I’m sure you would disagree with me immediately. But I would suggest you open your eyes for a moment.

Eddie Obeid used political influence and power for his own financial gain. Rodney Adler and Ray Williams both lied on financial statements; again, both for their own financial gain. Geoffrey Edelston hired a hit man to murder a former patient in an attempt to pervert the course of justice. Marcus Einfield lied to a court in a bid to avoid a $77 ticket. These are not petty criminals; these are successful men who, somewhere along the line, dropped their moral compass for the purpose of self gain.

So why are we surprised when our sporting teams – being driven by fan expectations, club balance sheets and sponsor dollars dependent upon on field performance – buckle under the pressure to win and sacrifice their morals at the altar of success?

I think, and I move now to conjecture, that the issue is we have lost sight of what success within a sporting team really is. I will take my own club as a case study. St George Illawarra, after three years of exceptional performance, ended the year at ninth on the table in 2012. This, many considered, was unacceptable. The factors of player churn, off field ‘issues’**, the aging of key players and the inexperience of a new coach were not considered acceptable reasons by fans for the teams performance. Instead, the call for coach Steve Price’s head was almost universal.

Instead of looking to the shifting currents that were being felt within the team, and how positive growth never comes without periods of pain, we looked to the failings. We addressed the issue like businesspeople looking at the bottom line – clinically and with success-at-all-costs as the goal. We looked for results without looking at what results cost.

Such an attitude reaps what it sows. When we look for success at all costs, then we get it. Case in point is Melbourne, who determined to cheat in order to win. We all ‘tut tut’ when they were caught, and were heartless in our condemnation. But no one turned back to consider if we, as members of our society and fans of the game, had created a climate so fixated on success that the club was forced to turn to these measures in order to meet expectations.

Our demand for success, and the financial gain dangled as the carrot, has created an expectation amongst players and clubs that unless you are ‘first’, you are ‘last’. And if you are last, then you’re nothing and don’t deserve remuneration.

This is a dangerous expectation. It’s an expectation that corners people into believing that if you’re competing, you have to be the best – and you can stop at nothing to be the best.

Here we are. We are both master and slave to a cycle that perpetuates itself in all avenues of our sport and society; a drive for success at all costs and an expectation for success at all costs. It is easy for us to sit and point the finger at the NRL clubs mentioned in the ASADA report. But can we bear to stand before the mirror and examine our own behaviour?

---

Words - 747

* - http://scholarship.law.marquette.edu...context=facpub.

** This refers mainly to the Tim Moltzen saga.

Last edited:

Titanic

First Grade
badge_marauders_0.gif

Titanic for the Marauders
(750 OWC)

hospital-room-71194-98897.jpg

Where do you go to?

The title echoes a question made famous by ‘60’s singer-poet Peter Sarstedt in his single of the same name where he mused:

Where do you go to my lovely, when you’re alone in your bed?
Tell me the thoughts that surround you. I want to look inside your head.

I preferred his jauntier rendition of Frozen Orange Juice but that’s just me and I’m getting way off topic. Hospital beds are no place for the faint hearted. By the very fact that so few of us opt to lay claim to one, unless we have something drastically wrong with ourselves, indicates that an albeit comfy place surrounded by omnipresent staff does not always equate to the Sydney Hilton ……

It is the first trial game of the season. He is fighting to retain his place in the first seventeen of an NRL club. The club boasts a quality pack and although off-loading some under-achievers during the off-season, it has recruited a representative forward and has two young guns champing at the bit for their chance. His position is the toughest on the planet in any code of football; prop forward.

The kick-off floats into his zone and the new halfback catches it, off-loading it to him as he attacks the defensive line straight and hard. He plays the ball, content that he has weathered his first touch. He makes two tackles in the next set of six, one more hit-up and then it’s defense again. On tackle one, he latches limpet-like on to a side-stepping opponent and feels the strain on his left knee as he rolls with the ball-carrier. On tackle two, he chases from being the marker and is second man in to an innocuous play. His knee buckles, he tries to recover, the pain is intense, he hobbles from the field and his season is over.

…… waking in that bright, white, gleaming room is akin to looking-up into the sunlight from the bottom of the swimming pool at the aforementioned Hilton, although of course it is not. The confusion, the pain of the injury, the memories of the grueling preseason training, the tears of frustration, the endless commiserations and the inevitable loneliness all come flooding back ……

This can’t be happening; not this year, not this time, not now! I prepared so well. My manager has already started talks for a contract extension. I saw the look on my wife’s face and I could see her mentally stacking the windowed envelopes that I’d promised would become a thing of the past. My decision to relocate and not take that secure job back home is back to bite me. What will I do?

The doctor says the pain will go away in a few weeks. He says I will feel a little tightness and perhaps some perceived weakness. Recovery should be one hundred percent and I may even be back for the finals. “The pain is mostly in your head,” he said, “when you get past that you’ll be right.” He may say that but I have a terrible throbbing, burning, tearing pain right in my left knee and that’s not in my head.

I did everything asked of me. I waited patiently on the bench for two seasons while others got their chances. When I had opportunities I made the most of them. I never gave in, never lost hope and never whinged about my lot. This off-season I ran faster, lifted heavier and turned up to every club event. This is my year. I have earned it. I have deserved it. Oh crumbs, I have lost it.

Everybody saw me cry, everybody. Mister tough guy, the iron man is now the blubber-er. The fans saw the tears. My mates saw my tears. My son saw his dad’s tears. My wife saw my madness.

“Don’t worry mate, you’ll be fine” said the coach looking to the doctor for support. “We’ve all been through it at one time or another,” said the co-captain seeking agreement from the players. “Bad luck”, “you’ll be back”, “just like falling from a horse, get straight back on again”, said every Tom, Dick or Harry. Shut up, shut up, please just shut up!

…… the true beauty of a hospital room is you can shut the door, however, the irony is you cannot shut-out your own thoughts.

Where do you go to Matt White, when you’re alone in your bed?
Will the demons consume you or will you be stronger instead?

Last edited:

LeagueNut

First Grade
LeagueNut for the All Stars

After the magic has gone

Here’s a question – would you forgive your significant other if they cheated on you?

I know some couples that have managed to work it out, mainly with some very liberal interpretations of the word “cheating”. We could probably debate all day on whether a BJ qualifies as cheating but this may not be the right time or place.

Anyway, my point is – once the trust is gone I reckon it must be damn near impossible to get it back to what it was. If my girl was tempted by another’s love truncheon, and if I found a way to forgive her indiscretion, I’d still be almost constantly wondering what (or who) else is next. Either that, or I’d have to be completely brainwashed to forget the whole thing ever happened.

“Hey, who’s that? I haven’t seen him around here before.”

“Oh that’s Darren, he’s just moved in a few houses down the road.”

“We should welcome him to the neighbourhood.”

In most cases – “Sounds good, I’ll invite him over for a beer and we can fire up the barbeque.”

But once that cloud of suspicion has been cast – “Good idea, you go give him your customary happy ending and I’ll just sit here sobbing in the corner.”

It really doesn’t matter which of those responses is technically correct – the fact remains that once the suspicion is there, short of having your cerebral cortex chemically scrubbed, it’s there forever.

It would take a special kind of person to overlook such a betrayal – and by special, I mean delusional to the point of fantasy. You can try to kid yourself that it was only a one-off thing, it was just bad timing, it was a momentary lapse of judgement – but the truth is that it would have happened many more times than either of you care to admit.

Once the layers of the onion start to get peeled there’s no going back. Remember that time she was late home from work on your birthday and brought you a gift basket of porn to make up for it? Was she working or was she “working”? It doesn’t matter - and perhaps either answer won’t make you feel any better.

And sadly, that’s where Rugby League comes in. The suspicion is now there, bigger than ever, and it may never go away.

Regardless of what happens now with this ASADA mess, the drugs issue is going to become a giant piece of ammunition for anyone looking to shoot down some credibility – quite simply because it makes sense.

It makes sense that Rugby League, with such a focus on physical size and strength, would have the most to gain from experimental performance enhancing methods.

It makes sense that Kzfo Tzoovm (name encoded to protect the “innocent”) couldn’t have achieved such a remarkable transformation from solid backup to complete powerhouse without somehow cheating the system.

It makes sense that Qznvh Gznlf would be let go as a fringe first-grader by one club only to suddenly start making rep teams from his new club – if he was on the juice.

Would you feel betrayed if either of those scenarios turned out to be true?

Conspiracy theorists like to churn out all sorts of crackpot stories – so while the dark cloud of suspicion reigns over the Rugby League world, how can we disprove any of them? How far back could we go?

Could it make sense that Yivgg Urmxs (or indeed any player who has gone to the ESL for a couple of seasons before coming back) only made the move to help with sweeping a positive drugs test under the carpet?

Could it make sense that Tliwvm Gzoorh could have sat out a season as a drug punishment instead of a contract dispute?

Could it make sense that the Hg Tvlitv Wiztlmh only managed such a remarkably successful record because of illegal assistance from the underground?

Now some would try to argue that I’m just being negative and unfairly throwing around accusations with no basis for proof. Maybe I’m just as bad as the clowns at ASADA, creating negativity with no regard for the truth.

If ASADA is conclusively proven to have made the whole thing up, and if the head honchos are held fully and legally accountable for lying to us, then I might take back what I’ve said.

But would that be enough for the suspicion to be completely removed?

Would it make you trust your partner again?

747 words in the counter thing.

Marshall Magic for the Marauders
badge_marauders_0.gif

----------
Six Degrees of Separation
WestsTigers2012WesternSuburbsHeritageNo6PIBack.jpg
Benji Marshall is known for a lot of things, fancy flicks, dazzling sidesteps, blistering pace, dislocated shoulders and most of all, the off field bromance. As one of the biggest stars in the game it no mystery why his life off the field is such a big talking point, and the man has been involved in some of the biggest bromances in Australian sporting history, despite the fact that the guy is a kiwi. A lot of his ex-bros have gone on to have a lot of success in the music industry to write about their relationships over a variety of different genres of music. With the man now happily married, lets have a look back at six of the best songs by Benji’s ex-bros.

“We are never ever getting back together”
This recent mega hit by Taylor Sheens shows just how close the bromance was between the two. Sheens was Benji’s coach and almost a father figure to him for 10 seasons dating back to when Benji was still at Keebra Park High School tearing teams to shreads. Sheens was eventually sacked from his post after a string of issues culminating in some of Benji’s friends being released from the club. The act just reeks of jealousy.

“I’ll be there till the sun don’t shine, till the heavens burst and the words don’t rhyme”
This Bon Beauvi song implies that Beauvi (or Beau for short) will forever want to be with Benji, even if it is not possible. Despite only being recently separated it is clear that Beau still has very strong feelings for Benji, and he is struggling to come to terms with his loss. The two shared a fairly long term relationship, and although it didn’t yield a premiership, Benji was able to win a golden boot award with Beau around him, and play arguably his best football.

“We won’t fade into darkness! Fade into darkness!”
This smash hit was actually written by one of Benji’s lesser known, short term bros, Jamahl Avicii. Jamahl came to the Tigers after their premiership success in 2005, and quickly formed a tight bond with Benji. Although he only lasted one year at the club before heading abroad to the Huddersfield Giants, Jamahl was keen to make sure that him and Benji would still remain tight forever. Several years down the line it is safe to say that Benji did not fade into darkness, unfortunately for the NRL fans, Jamahl certainly seems to have.

“Nobody said it was easy. Oh, it’s just a shame for us to part.”
This hit was written after the curtain came down on one of Rugby League’s most high profile bromances ever. Coldprince performed this song when front man Scott left the Tigers to go to the Titans with his woman. Although both men were heartbroken seemingly beyond repair, this was probably the right decision for Scott acting in the best interests of his family. However it certainly was one of the hardest decision he will ever have to make in his lifetime. Benji took a few years to fully recover from this one, and it is questionable if Scott has ever been the same man since the incident.

“And I’m here to remind you, of the mess you left when you went away”
Alanis Morris wrote this song in regards to the ending of Benji’s rebound relationship with Morris after Scott left for the Titans. Morris was the victim of constant criticism for his inability to play halfback for the Tigers, and when Benji was absent through injury the Tigers were an absolute mess. Morris eventually left the club, breaking it off with Benji, because this mess was just not cleaning itself up, and a tight 3 year bromantic relationship was broken, although rumours are doing the rounds that Benji had been seeing another bro in the last few months of his relationship with Morris.

“And I will always love you”
This smash hit by Whitney Moltzen is one of the greatest songs ever. Benji acted as Moltzen’s bodyguard during a saga when it looked like Moltzen would leave Benji and join the Dragons. Like a true bro Benji put a lot on the line to bring Moltzen back. The bromance is rumoured to have started during Benji’s time with Morris, and it ended when Benji left Moltzen to get married. Moltzen was heartbroken and looked to join the Dragons. He subsequently backflipped and declared Benji his bro forever.
------------

Sources
Always - Bon Jovi
Fade into Darkness - Avicii
We are Never Ever Getting Back Together - Taylor Swift
I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston
The Scientist - Coldplay
You Oughta Know - Alanis Morissette

Words 748 (not including sources)

Last edited:

Misanthrope

Staff member
Fresh off the plane from Phnom Penh, Misanthrope rushes the ball up for the Marauders.

Coming Home

For the better part of the past five years, I've been on the road. Between living in South Korea and China and my many travels in between, it's visits to Australia that feel like a holiday these days. And while I'm often lucky enough to catch an NRL game while I'm home, it's safe to say that it isn't always easy being a footy fan so far away from home.

But my love affair with the great game isn't on life support in the absence of live games every weekend, daily coverage in the papers, and the prospect of getting out to a game on the weekend. While it's fair to say I've drifted from the fanatical days where I'd keep track of every score and ran a 32 team fantasy football league – I'm still very much enamoured of the great game.

When you're eating strange foods, conversing in an unfamiliar tongue, and seeing the sun set over unusual vistas – it's the little things that keep you sane. Thousands of miles away from my family and my friends, I find comfort in smaller things from home: a jar of Vegemite in the fridge, talking cricket in the office, and – most importantly – catching the NRL on TV wherever possible.

I've talked 2008 World Cup with a pair of drunken Kiwis in the neon lit streets of Gwangju in South Korea; woken up at an ungodly hour in suburban Portland, USA to watch the 2009 NRL Grand Final; walked into countless smoky bars in places like China or Thailand to find the game on the telly; and felt a small pang of homesickness at the sight of a NSW jersey hanging on the wall in a hole in the wall bar in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.

More so than any other Aussie sport, watching the NRL takes me away from whatever corner of the world I am in and puts me back home. They may not be the faces of the friends I've left back in Australia, but the ugly mugs of Paul Gallen or Sam Thaiday make a bar feel welcoming just as surely as the shout of 'Get over here, you dickhead' would from an old mate.

In a lot of ways, the footy is a powerful part of an expat's social life. When you're in a sea of people from different backgrounds and struggling to adapt to a culture that may confuse or even frustrate, finding a few kindred spirits huddled underneath the warm glow of a flat screen is a big deal. Watching this year's All Stars game with a bunch of leathery skinned expats in a bar on Koh Tao, we got to talking about where we were from and which teams we supported. Before too long, I was exchanging friendly barbs with a Brisbane fan twenty years my senior.

Mid last year, I had three drunken (and ultimately disappointing) nights in a crowded foreigner bar here in Nanjing run by a Tennessee man who cheered every NSW success (few though they were) as feverishly as myself and the other two NSW fans in a sea of maroon. Friends (and bets) were made over the course of three nights, and I know I'll see most of those same faces in a few week's time when the season starts afresh.

It's not always easy leading a life where you're on the road for years at a trot. Sure, there are perks. You avoid the grind of a 'real' job, you meet fascinating people from around the world, you eat exotic foods in exotic places, bed exotic women, and try exotic things.

But beyond the glitz and glamour, beneath the layers of soju or baijiu or sake, there's the reality that you're a long way from home. When I walk into a bar to the strains of Ray Warren's verbal ejaculation or to a glimpse of a familiar jersey on the big screen, it's a little bit like coming home. Sure, there's nobody waiting with a sign at the airport and there won't be family dinner at the end of the day – but those little doses of home are enough to tide me over for another week or two.

I'm coming up on month twelve here in China and won't get home until after month thirteen. Thank God I'll have the footy to come home to in the meantime.

WORD COUNT: 731 including title

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Willow | All Stars.

A different country

When I arrived in Cairns, I immediately knew I was in a different country. The plains were enveloped by mountainous rainforest - the highest peak was dripping with clouds like treacle on a warm scone. My nostrils were filled with a mixture of mango, frangipani and something else, perhaps molasses.

It was early morning, and steaming hot.

I've seen a fair bit of the world: Asia, the Pacific, America and Europe several times over. But I had never been this far north in Australia. Yes, I was still in Australia, but FNQ was a different country to the one I left down near New South Wales.

I was in Cairns to see some Rugby League, a trial match between St George of the Illawarra and the Cowboys of Townsville.

My first port of call was the Brothers Leagues Club. There was a line out the door. A staff member - the bouncer - took me aside. Not sure why I got special treatment. Perhaps I was over-dressed; trousers, shoes, Hawaiian shirt... come to think of it, the shirt was a stand-out.

"You right bro? After a ticket for tonight?"

"No, I already have a ticket... I'm just after some parking."

"No worries, come in."

The hospitality was outstanding. No one grumbled, not even the flies. Yes, the beer-soaked carpet had a hovering over the member's sign-in area. In a patriotic display, the Aussie salute was in full swing throughout the crowded foyer.

For reasons that escaped me, I was invited to wait in the bar while my new mate got my parking pass. It was still pretty early, but in a country where cyclones are only interrupted by heatwaves, and it is almost illegal to ignore a shout, I opted to sit with those bar recipients of Brothers Confraternity.

During my wait, I noticed the staff dealing with locals failing to meet the dress code.

"Sorry mate, you cannot come into the club with bare feet!"

"I just want to buy a ticket, can I come into the foyer?"

"Mate, go home and get some thongs. And while you're there, whack on a shirt!"

Seconds later, an assistant entered the foyer. With a can of fly spray, he led an assault on the aforementioned pests. Within minutes the ground floor became a no fly zone.

I think that's when I fell in love with Cairns.

My parking was sorted half way through my second schooner. I thanked my new mate and departed.

After checking into my hotel, I found a pub on the pier that sold $5 pizzas and cold beer. It was a welcomed sight after walking for hours, chasing the shade and discovering that Cairns is really not that large. The waterfront is vibrant and there exists a healthy mix of people from loads of backgrounds, making Cairns the special place it is. No pretensions.

Two streets back from the tourist strip you'll find yourself in the real township, half a dozen streets more and you're enjoying the bush.

It was somewhere between these two dimensions that I eventually landed at the pristine location of Barlow Park, the venue for the night's main event.

At 5:00, I sat on the hill to catch the curtain raiser. But it was still hot... I needed another beer. Couldn't see a bar anywhere. WTF? Is this a dry venue? Surely not!

Then I saw a bloke carrying four cans of local brew.

"Excuse me mate, where'd you get those?"

"Over there... in f**k corner!"

'F**k corner' could mean only one place. I ventured down below the hill, onto the back path and to a far corner under the biggest tree... and there it was. Beer! Indeed, Cairns has no shortage of fair dinkum courtesy and downright commonsense.

I returned with my refreshment to the hill to find my spot had been taken. In fact, there wasn't a blade of grass to be seen. The place was packed and fans were standing four deep on the upper concourse.

These were the real people of Cairns, they love their football. I arrived to see a game a of football but witnessed the greater atmosphere of being there.

It has since been recorded that the North Queenslanders won, scoring a late try to overturn a St George comeback. The result is of no consequence, it was only a trial after all.

But the people of Cairns turned out in force. Our kindred spirits of the North. Don't change. :thumn

Words | 750

Titanic

First Grade
Hey Willow, having coached the now defunct Babinda in the CDRL I am very familiar with Barlow Park ... good read :)

MARAUDERS

gUt - Cutting Corners
It's strange, I was hoping to see articles like this come out over the whole scandal. It's written well to get you sucked into the humour of the ending.

Titanic - Where Do You Go To?
Oh crumbs, I have lost it.
Possibly already one of my favourite Forum Sevens lines ever.
A great perspective, I would like to see how many people would've guessed the eventual topic of the article. See how many would've gotten it.

Marshall_Magic - Six Degrees Of Separation
It takes one hell of a creative mind to come up with some of these articles. That is why I love this competition. A few people I've already shown this too. Very clever.

Misanthrope - Coming Home
A great perspective. It's not a World game quite yet, but it's always pleasing to see it's so accessible. Very interesting to read, great writing.

ALL STARS

Bubbles - WTF
An article that ranges from scrotum checkings to OMG SBW. There are only a few people who could pull this off well. The excitement turning into a rant was pretty smooth, but overall a good read.

Monk - League 101
Loved it, if only I took this class...

Drew-Sta - Looking In The Mirror
This would be a very difficult article to perfect, so much information gathering into 750 words. I will tell you, it's been done perfectly. Depth in your words, great use of outside information. It's just very well written.

LeagueNut - After The Magic Has Gone
I miss the BJ. The good old days. But I guess I'll have to be contempt with him as a Knight...wait...oh. I've seen it before, when Rugby League has been perceived like this. A few articles about the Storm after the Cap scandal happened and they got through it...could be very interesting times ahead.

Willow - A Different Country
All I have to say is good bye and thank you.
A lovely sentiment to finish on.
If that is your finish...

MARAUDERS - 351
ALL STARS - 444
POTM - Drew-Sta

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Thanks ref. Well played one and all. Fantastic effort fellow All Stars, and tremendous stuff Marauders.

Into the tub, my shout! :thumn

Titanic

First Grade
Cheers, big ears but keep those hands to yourself :) great warm up everybody and congrats to the All Stars ... well done Drew, great read.

Bubbles

Juniors
Top effort by everyone, but big congrats to Drew with his well deserved POTM nod - excellent read.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Thanks guys :)

Praise of the praiseworthy when playing amongst the best is a real honour and humbling moment!