What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 Australian Open Campaign

Bulldog Force

Referee
It's that time of year again people, where the Tennis world turns to Australia for the next 4 weeks as the Australian Open Campaign gets underway.

Perth (Hopman Cup) Dec 28 – Jan 4

Brisbane International 29 Dec – 5 Jan

Hobart International 5 – 11 Jan 2014

Adelaide (World Tennis Challenge) 7-9 Jan

Kooyong Classic - January 8-11

Sydney International - 5-11 Jan

Main Event (Australian Open, Melbourne) - Jan 13-26

Bulldog Force

Referee
Hard to argue with that... and we've gone down to them. Both Tomic and Dellacqua their singles matches to Canada, and we only managed to win the mixed doubles. Now we need to win our remaining group matches against Poland and Italy if we're any chance to go through!

Bulldog Force

Referee
Also worth mentioning, the Hopman Cup is no longer played at the recently demolished Burswood Dome/Crown Perth (obviously), it is now at Perth Arena!

Bulldog Force

Referee
Well Sam Stosur chokes again on home turf, this time losing in the Hopman Cup singles against Flavia Pennett, then going down with Tomic in the mixed doubles (after Tomic won his singles match), meaning we've lost any hope of progressing to the next round.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Better news for the Aussies in Brisbane though...

Lleyton Hewitt defeated up and coming Aussie Thanasi Kokkinakis, who's been touted as the next Mark Philippoussis in straight sets. - Just some trivia while we're on it...
Kokkinakis, who was born in Adelaide, represented both the US AND Germany at the 2013 Hopman Cup as a replacement player... so he played for 2 different teams in same tournament even though he has no ties to either nation.

Matty Ebden also won in straight sets, taking out American Alex Kuznetsov.

Sam Groth also won in straight sets against an American, taking out Ryan Harrison 7-6 (3), 7-6 (2). During the game, Groth served the fastest serve of the tournament at 234 km/h and, on top of that, he also holds the record for the fastest serve ever in the history of professional Tennis, serving in the 2012 ATP Challenger in Busan at 263 km/h.

And some more trivia, he was married to fellow Aussie tennis player Jarmila Gajdošová between 2009 and 2011 (during the time she was known as Jarmila Groth).

Bulldog Force

Referee
Source:http://hopmancup.com/news/2014/01/04/tsonga-draws-first-blood-in-final

France wins its first Hopman Cup

4 January 2014 By AAP

460543221-570x457.jpg

World No.10 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga tuned up for the Australian Open in grand style by guiding France to the Hyundai Hopman Cup title at Perth Arena.
France won the event for the first time, beating Poland 2-1 in a thrilling final in front of more than 10,000 fans.
Tsonga overcame a second-set scare to beat Grzegorz Panfil 6-3 3-6 6-3 in the men’s singles before world No.5 Agnieszka Radwanska levelled the tie with a drama-filled 6-3 6-7 (9-7) 6-2 win over Alize Cornet.

Tsonga then dominated proceedings in the deciding mixed doubles to lift France to a 6-0 6-2 triumph in just 47 minutes, with Cornet jumping into his arms once they secured victory.
“I’m really happy to win today,” Tsonga said. “It’s always good to hold the trophy.”
Cornet described the title as one of the best highlights of her career.
“It feels great. I’m very happy that we made history today and France finally won the Hopman Cup,” Cornet said.
“I think we deserved it. I’m happy I gave a good show to the crowd.”
Earlier, Cornet looked down and out in her singles match after losing the first set and going 5-3 down in the second.
The world No.27 managed to save a match point, but she broke out in tears a few points later when a series of long-winded rallies left her struggling to breathe.

Despite Cornet being on the verge of collapsing, match umpire James Keothabong gave her a time violation.
“I was trying to tell the chair umpire not to give me a time violation,” Cornet said. “I was like ‘I can’t breathe’. He didn’t see it unfortunately.”
Cornet battled on to win the 80-minute second set in a tiebreak.
But she had no energy left for the deciding set, with Radwanska securing the epic win in 153 minutes.
Tsonga’s failure to convert any of his seven break points in the second set of the men’s singles rubber came back to haunt him as world No.288 Panfil converted his sole break point.
The 28-year-old was filthy on himself for missing those chances, but he made good in the third set as he secured the win in 100 minutes.
Panfil was only called up for the Hopman Cup after world No.21 Jerzy Janowicz pulled out with injury.
The 26-year-old had racked up just $A154,294 in ATP career earnings before the mixed-teams tournament.
But he will walk away with the biggest pay cheque of his career, a cool $90,000.

ek999

First Grade
Anyone watching the Brisbane final? Never seen someone play as bad as Fed is at the moment. Doubt he would beat anyone in the top 200 the way he is going

Apey

Staff member
He has been terribad, about to take the 2nd set though.

Bulldog Force

Referee
I never thought I'd see the day. Well done Hewitt. True fighting Aussie spirit alive and burning! Let's see him bring that form to Melbourne.

Last edited:

Helmet Man

Juniors
Hewitt always does well in the lead upto Australian Open. Last year he won the Kooyong classic upsetting Del Potro in the final. And then exits the Australia Open in the second round to some nobody. Now he beats Federer so we will see what happens in the Australian Open.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Sam Stosur has had a successful start down in Tassie winning her match against American Madison Brengle. Up here in Sydney, Matty Ebden has been eliminated in the first round. Groth plays tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing how the big server goes!

Bulldog Force

Referee
So Tomic wins in Sydney yesterday, unfortunately big serving Sam Groth was eliminated though. Local boy Marinko Matosevic won against Andreas Seppi just about 30 mins ago.

Latest posts