What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 FFA Cup Thread

Misanthrope

Staff member
I am so thrilled that we drew an A-League club. The ideal match up would have been the Wanderers but playing the Mariners will be huge for the region. Hopefully we can generate enough local hype to crack 10k on the night.

I was thinking that when I saw the draw. Great opportunity for the region to bring in a big crowd and show the FFA that they wouldn't look out of place in the A-League.

Hopefully they'll topple the Coasties just to really rub it in.

RHCP

Bench
Was hoping that Magic (or South Cardiff) would draw an A League side, hopefully they can go deep enough to face one.

Misanthrope

Staff member
But this is Cup football...

Oh, I know. I was just questioning death's labeling of a game against Tuggeranong United as a bye. They're far from the weakest side in the Cup, and that's not even taking into account that anything can happen.

Big Sam

First Grade
The first four matches start this week:

10513276_699985653401693_9087305948982220355_n.jpg

10463004_699985750068350_6358759780020049162_n.jpg

10346220_699985800068345_3877952589966567920_n.jpg

10403050_699985876735004_5508726779709489071_n.jpg

Misanthrope

Staff member
Bloody excited for this. I must say I'm surprised they chose the Broadmeadow game as one to televise live, but I'm not complaining :lol:

Big Sam

First Grade
Fox will have cameras at all the other 3 grounds and will have live crosses at HT, FT etc.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Fox will have cameras at all the other 3 grounds and will have live crosses at HT, FT etc.

Awesome. Hopefully that means we'll get comprehensive highlights as well.

Great time to be an Aussie football fan. The talent that will be unearthed through the FFA Cup over the years is going to make the A-League and the Socceroos all the stronger.

Bulldog Force

Referee
This is looking closer and closer to becoming a reality now, with the Round of 32 tentatively scheduled to begin in July with the nine Australian A-League teams as well as 23 teams from various state federations across Australia.

• 9 A-League sides (Wellington ineligible)
  • 8 NSW teams
  • 4 Victorian teams
  • 4 Queensland teams
  • 2 WA teams
  • 2 Northern NSW teams
  • 1 South Australian team
  • 1 ACT team
  • 1 Tasmanian team
The only hold up at this point seems to be the ACT, where last year's Federation Cup winner are claiming they're the qualifier while the ACT has since announced another qualifying tournament. Every state bar QLD had an existing tournament that has become a qualifier, with QLD inventing a competition to act as a qualifier.

(SOURCE: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...ing-the-launch-of-ffa-cup-20140114-30sg7.html)

I know that my brothers' team (Inverell Joeys) will be playing Ballina FC in the first round of the Northern NSW tournament.

Who else is pretty bloody excited about this tournament's first edition?
I know I'm asking my question very late but... why is there 8 NSW teams and 2 Northern NSW teams? Why not just say 10 NSW teams? Or are they referring to 8 NSW Premier League teams... and the other 2 in Northern NSW from a different league?

Misanthrope

Staff member
NSW and NNSW are entirely different organisations within NSW. I'd imagine because people outside of Sydney didn't feel super comfortable with letting Sydney administrators administer the game in towns they'd never heard of.

Misanthrope

Staff member
What are everybody's tops for tonight's games?

Broadmeadow Magic v Brisbane Strikers
Manly United v Sydney Olympic
Olympic FC v Melbourne Knights
South Springvale v South Cardiff

-----

I'm backing:

Broadmeadow Magic 0 - 2 Brisbane Strikers
Manly United 1 - 3 Sydney Olympic
Olympic FC 3 - 2 Melbourne Knights
South Springvale 0 - 1 South Cardiff

ggmu

Juniors
Hoping South Cardiff can get up. Played against their all age team a few time and they are a bunch of good blokes in the club. So I'll be cheering them on.

Big Sam

First Grade
Just read that South Cardiff drove down to Melbourne at 7am this morning, rather than fly down. I thought the $4m in annual sponsorship the FFA got was designed to cover all travel expenses.

Or maybe the club is saving their travel grant for the future by taking a cheaper option now.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Just read that South Cardiff drove down to Melbourne at 7am this morning, rather than fly down. I thought the $4m in annual sponsorship the FFA got was designed to cover all travel expenses.

Or maybe the club is saving their travel grant for the future by taking a cheaper option now.

Jeez, you'd hope they were saving it. Bloody risky to have the fatigue of what would be a what - 8+ hour drive - before a crucial elimination tie.

Hoping South Cardiff can get up. Played against their all age team a few time and they are a bunch of good blokes in the club. So I'll be cheering them on.

I've got a soft spot for them as well. My mother's family grew up in the area and my aunt still lives there. They also eliminated my brother's team at the second to last hurdle, so I'd rather them do well then crash and burn :lol: