What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 NFL Draft News

man2iel_

Juniors
Jaws is a good analyst especially of the QB position. You have to take notice of his opinion here though as noted: he ain't always right nor consistent. On a side note, Super Bowl winning coach Barry Switzer would take him first. It depends on who you want to listen to I guess.

shiznit

Coach
Some crazy f**king mock drafts coming out...

I don't think there's a consensus number 1 pick...

I've seen Clowney at the top of a lot of lists... And I personally have him at 1...

But Mel Kiper has kept steadfast to Manziel at 1...

I've seen a few experts in the last 2 days put Bortles at 1... Apparently O'Brien is really keen on him...

Something I've also seen and I wanted see what Kurt's thoughts on it was... The Rams trading down... Yo possibly the raiders or the browns spot... And picking up Watkins... One hell of a receiver...

kurt faulk

Coach
Some crazy f**king mock drafts coming out...

I don't think there's a consensus number 1 pick...

I've seen Clowney at the top of a lot of lists... And I personally have him at 1...

But Mel Kiper has kept steadfast to Manziel at 1...

I've seen a few experts in the last 2 days put Bortles at 1... Apparently O'Brien is really keen on him...

Something I've also seen and I wanted see what Kurt's thoughts on it was... The Rams trading down... Yo possibly the raiders or the browns spot... And picking up Watkins... One hell of a receiver...

unless they plan on taking clowney at #2 they will definitely try to trade down. but they may want to take either robinson or mathews, let them play lg for a couple of years before taking over from jake long.obviously the browns would be the best trading partner with their two 1st rounders but who knows if any team thinks any of these qbs are worth trading up to get them?

then again they may think watkins is the final piece of their wr puzzle. they have enough complementary wrs, they need one that can dominate a game. but then they are going with a run heavy offense and may not need a dominant wr in their plans. thus back to someone like robinson to clear a path for the rb.

so many possibilities with the gift pick from the skins.

can you imagine if they go clowney at #2 and donald at #13. that d would be scary good.

shiznit

Coach
When I heard the possibility of Watkins to the a Rams...

The first thing I thought of was Watkins with Tavon Austin...

That speed could really test the LOB

nick87

Coach
All of those DB's in the LOB can stick for at least 4-5 seconds... if the ball is not thrown by then, it's probably because their pass rush has the QB shitting his britches or is already on his backside by then

I dont see speed being the kryptonite of the LOB.

cjrankin

Juniors
When I heard the possibility of Watkins to the a Rams...

The first thing I thought of was Watkins with Tavon Austin...

That speed could really test the LOB

If decker thomas thomas and welker got 8 pts on the hawks, i dont think watkins and austin are even on their radar.

nick87

Coach
also, those guys had Peyton Manning throwing them the football. Im not as low on Sam Bradford as some around here, but he's no Peyton Manning, that's for sure.

shiznit

Coach
If decker thomas thomas and welker got 8 pts on the hawks, i dont think watkins and austin are even on their radar.
Watkins will be on another planet to Decker and Welker... The common theme coming from the scouts with Watkins is he's the best receiver they've seen since Julio Jones.

I see them having to put some serious coverage on Watkins which is why I see Austin complementing Watkins.

shiznit

Coach
He's some more discussion about the Rams picking up Watkins...

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/6228/why-sammy-watkins-needs-to-be-a-ram

Why Sammy Watkins needs to be a Ram

INDIANAPOLIS -- In 2012, the St. Louis Rams finally found themselves in position to draft the best wide receiver in his draft class.

They had the No. 2 pick in that draft and a clear shot at Oklahoma State’s Justin Blackmon before making a blockbuster trade with Washington. The move loaded them with picks but also cost them a shot at Blackmon.

It was a move the Rams could make because Blackmon wasn’t believed to be in the class of Calvin Johnson, A.J. Green or Julio Jones. He was best in class but not necessarily considered a surefire No. 1 receiver type.

Two years later, it appears that trade has put the Rams in position to land a receiver who is far closer to the Green/Jones class than any receiver who has come out in the past three years.

His name is Sammy Watkins, and he spent the past three years dominating the ACC as a member of the Clemson Tigers. In that time, he posted 240 catches for 3,391 yards and 27 touchdowns.

And Watkins is a player who, assuming everything checks out in terms of interviews, health and off-the-field issues, should be at the top of the Rams’ wish list in May.

In talking to a handful of scouts this week at the scouting combine, I heard almost nothing negative about Watkins. Here’s a small sample:

“He’s the real deal -- explosive, physical, strong, gets off the line of scrimmage, makes you miss. … He’s not a big 6-5 type of guy but he plays plenty big and he gets separation easily. … He should be a dominant player in the league and has the makeup to be a No. 1 guy. … The thing I love most about him is how competitive he is; he has a lot of dog in him and it shows up on almost every snap.”

Watkins showed no hesitation in declaring his desire to match those rave reviews and furthered his cause with an impressive 4.43-second 40-yard dash Sunday afternoon.

“What I love doing is dominating defenses,” Watkins said. “I think that’s what I bring to the game and I think that’s going to turn over to the NFL. When I come into the NFL, I think I can be that dominant receiver.”

Bingo. This isn’t about the Rams needing to draft a receiver. This is about the Rams needing to draft THE receiver.

They’ve taken a receiver in each of the past nine years. They’ve selected wideouts in every round, alternately hoping for a diamond in the rough to pay off and betting on a highly touted prospect to pan out.

For those who have followed the team in the five years since Torry Holt’s time in St. Louis came to an end, the lack of a top threat has been glaring. Since Holt and Isaac Bruce departed, the Rams haven’t had one. They haven’t even had one who's come close. No Rams wideout has reached even 700 receiving yards since Holt in 2008, nevermind 1,000 yards, which Holt hit in 2007.

Along the way, the Rams have been unable to find a top receiver for many reasons, not least of which includes some poor player evaluations, a lack of emphasis on the position and a little bit of bad luck.

For most of the past decade, the Rams have been one of the worst teams in the league. They’ve logged a 15-loss season, two 14-loss seasons and a 13-loss season, not to mention a 10-loss year in 2005.

Despite the lofty draft picks that go with those seasons, the Rams have never had the good fortune of having a high pick that corresponds to a season in which something as close to a can’t-miss receiver prospect has been in the draft.

In the 2007 draft, Georgia Tech’s Johnson was clearly one of the two best players. Had the Rams had one of those awful seasons before then, perhaps they could have taken the man now regarded as the best wideout in the league. Instead, they managed to finish 8-8, the only .500 record they’ve had since 2004.

Entering the 2010 season, the Rams were in the midst of one of the worst losing runs in league history. They’d posted a total of three wins in the 2008 and 2009 seasons but managed to take advantage of one of the league’s worst schedules in 2010 and nearly won the NFC West division before losing to Seattle on the season’s final day.

Instead of having a top-six pick in the 2011 draft with a shot at highly touted wideouts Green and Jones, the Rams picked 14th. They did just fine landing end Robert Quinn but settled for Austin Pettis and Greg Salas in Rounds 3 and 4 at receiver.

Sitting with the No. 2 pick in this year’s draft, it appears the Rams are almost certain to have a shot at Watkins. The question is whether they’re willing to again spend a top-10 pick on the position, especially when they’ve consistently preached the need for patience with their young receiving corps.

While patience is a reasonable request given how young that group is, there’s nothing that says adding more competition and a potential true No. 1 wideout to the mix would do anything but help the cause.

General manager Les Snead, who in January said the Rams don’t “need” a No. 1 type of receiver, offered a little more flexibility when asked about it again on Friday.

“I'll say this: Any time in the draft, if you could add a really special player, that helps your team,” Snead said. “I think the biggest thing we need from the wide receiver group is experience, letting those guys get older. But, hey, it’s a deep wide receiver class. It seems like every time you get a pick, there may be a good wide receiver on the board.”

Players like Texas A&M’s Mike Evans, LSU’s Odell Beckham, Oregon State’s Brandin Cooks and USC’s Marqise Lee are also considered potential first-round picks. Some might even turn out to be as good or better than Watkins.

But if Watkins is indeed the clear-cut best receiver in a strong class, why risk it? Considering how hard the organization has made it look to replace Holt and Bruce, wouldn’t simply drafting Watkins narrow the margin for error in evaluation or player development?

Maybe the Rams would love to trade down and still snag Watkins with a couple of more picks in their pocket. But again, if he really is that type of player, why not just make sure he’s a Ram?

“I don’t think you can ever say no because if that player can help you then pick him,” Snead said. “And competition is not a bad thing either, and having as many weapons as possible is not a bad thing either.”

Especially if that weapon is the one that’s been missing from your arsenal the longest.

nick87

Coach
You know, i never really considered Watkins to the Rams @ #2 but that article has given me something to think about
if they are serious about finding out if Bradford is the guy, giving him a dominate WR like Watkins would go along way to finding out... and if he's not, your next QB has a true #1 WR to work with from day 1

Eddie Lab

Juniors
I think analysts judge picks as a "reach" far too quickly. If the player is good enough and fills that teams need then their is no reason not to grab the player.

shiznit

Coach
You know, i never really considered Watkins to the Rams @ #2 but that article has given me something to think about
if they are serious about finding out if Bradford is the guy, giving him a dominate WR like Watkins would go along way to finding out... and if he's not, your next QB has a true #1 WR to work with from day 1

The thing is.... They probably don't need to pick Watkins at #2 overall...

With all the talk that the Jags are keen on a franchise QB... And the Browns being dead keen on Johny Manziel...

The Browns might get jumpy and be ripe for a trade with the Rams... Which would net them the number 4 pick... Plus maybe some other picks later on... And Who knows... If they're desperate enough... That could be they're other first round pick.

That would still likely get them Watkins...

Last edited:

nick87

Coach
im not that confident Watkins makes it past the Jags
I havent read a whole lot that suggests the jags are sold on this group of QB's... i think the Jags are hoping Clowney makes it too them, and they'll take him. If not i wouldnt be shocked to see them take Watkins given the absolute fiasco that is Justin Blackmon.

They'll suck for another year, sure. But then they are probably picking top 2 and getting either Mariota or Winston next year. Maybe that QB would like throwing it too Watkins

I wouldnt be shocked to see it go... i think Bortles, Clowney, JF and Watkins are going top 4, im just not sure yet in what order.

a trade back and still getting Watkins wouldnt shock me, but i dont think its safe unless they have pretty reliable info that the Jags wont take him

Texans could go Bortles or Clowney. Rams will take Watkins or Clowney, Jags should take Clowney or JF and the Browns seemingly covet JF.

With the only other option IMO being if the Rams take one of the tackles.

Last edited:

shiznit

Coach
I would be ecstatic with your scenario... some mix of Bortles, Clowney, Manziel & Watkins as the top 4.

I would be very, very happy if Bridgewater fell to the Raiders...

As you've said... the tackles are probably the safe option for the Rams... But not just safe... Matthews and Robinson are outstanding...

Tom155

Coach
Watkins will be on another planet to Decker and Welker... The common theme coming from the scouts with Watkins is he's the best receiver they've seen since Julio Jones.

I see them having to put some serious coverage on Watkins which is why I see Austin complementing Watkins.

AJ Green > Julio Jones

shiznit

Coach
AJ Green > Julio Jones
I don't disagree with you...

But I think the point of the statement is that Watkins is in that A.J Green / Julio Jones class of receiver....

So they say Jones as he was taken later in the draft than Green... Well 2 picks later... :lol:

shiznit

Coach
A lot of talk doing the rounds that Carolina and Oakland are looking at doing a deal...

Carolina looking at moving up to grab Sammy Watkins...