What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 NRL Jersey and Sponsorship Discussion pt 2

Zigwaa

Bench
Really?

I love it. I think it's a novel way to attract fans tbh - kids will love it, and provided they're available for sale will make an absolute killing for the clubs involved.

I think we take ourselves too seriously as a code sometimes.

Fair point. I hope they are priced reasonably if that is the reason behind it.

Was that you that did the jersey each team wears spreadsheet last year? Be interesting to see the comparison this year to last year.

insert.pause

First Grade
if they had integrated it with the teams colours i'd have no problem with it. the dragons and raiders ones sit fine, the rest dont -especially manly

the whole point of jerseys is being able to recognize the teams and building a brand up that way, not bastardising the clubs colours every second week for more $$

half the time casual observers have noidea which team is which. the warriors have a new jersey every week, teams are playing in colours they dont usually wear... i dont mind one offs if they still have some semblence of the team they supposedly represent

if the NRL think its ok they might as well change the NRL emblem every round or let teams change their nicknames each round

I definitely understand where your coming from and I think the NRL may have to look at regulating it a bit more so these things are more a rarity then they have been lately.

However, I think it does create a point of difference with other codes which are probably too traditional and conservative and helps promote the NRL as the young and 'fun' code.

The game is still struggling to find the right balance though.

GAZF

First Grade
if they had integrated it with the teams colours i'd have no problem with it. the dragons and raiders ones sit fine, the rest dont -especially manly

the whole point of jerseys is being able to recognize the teams and building a brand up that way, not bastardising the clubs colours every second week for more $$

half the time casual observers have noidea which team is which. the warriors have a new jersey every week, teams are playing in colours they dont usually wear... i dont mind one offs if they still have some semblence of the team they supposedly represent

if the NRL think its ok they might as well change the NRL emblem every round or let teams change their nicknames each round

Pretty much. The argument for these designs directly marketing to kids is pretty flimsy. If a kid/parent wants to buy a superhero costume do they A) spend 100-odd bucks on a jersey that is unrecognisable as a football team or B) spend $30 on a costume at toys-r-us? What if the kid is a Manly fan but loves the Hulk? Personally I wouldn't have been caught dead wearing this kind of shit as a kid, let alone as an adult.

Seems to me that one-offs like these are targeting a very small demographic while the rest of us wonder who the f**k is playing on TV. If they absolutely need the cash fine, sell out the merch as much as possible. Just make them "fashion jerseys" and keep it off the field.

100%green

Juniors
Pretty much. The argument for these designs directly marketing to kids is pretty flimsy. If a kid/parent wants to buy a superhero costume do they A) spend 100-odd bucks on a jersey that is unrecognisable as a football team or B) spend $30 on a costume at toys-r-us? What if the kid is a Manly fan but loves the Hulk? Personally I wouldn't have been caught dead wearing this kind of shit as a kid, let alone as an adult.

Seems to me that one-offs like these are targeting a very small demographic while the rest of us wonder who the f**k is playing on TV. If they absolutely need the cash fine, sell out the merch as much as possible. Just make them "fashion jerseys" and keep it off the field.

And for those of us who actually enjoy these event jerseys?

I am sorry but for all of you who are complaining that there is to much of this there would be equal amount who enjoy it.

Not every fan is in love with their jersey. They may like some of the event one's that are available these days. Two of my favorite Raiders Jerseys are the ANZAC one and the Super League one. BUT I buy all the jerseys.

bileduct

Coach
Kids aren't the only ones going to see Avengers and X-Men movies, and there are a whole bunch of collectors out there that love this kind of stuff.

The game sold out a long, long time ago when we were sponsored by cigarette and alcohol companies, sponsors that change every three years emblazoned across jerseys and now the prominence of sports betting not just in the advertising but their personalities now embedded in NRL programming.

Oh, but we're told that's for the good of the game. We need their money to grow!

There are plenty of things in the current game that are worse than one-off promotional jerseys.

Perth Red

Post Whore
At least they look to have been done well. No harm done and as said if marketed at right price and in right way they could sell a shed load of them. The Capt America and ironman look best for me. I am Marvel nerd so may get the set for the movie room, Marvel and RL combined, what's not to like? lol.

Perth Red

Post Whore
ps the NRL is going to have to clamp down at some point though. What's that we have now in terms of jersey designs?
ANZAC
Inidigenous
Charity
2 Home, 2 Alternates some teams
Heritage
One off marketing specials

Some clubs must be up around the 7 jerseys a season?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
There are plenty of things in the current game that are worse than one-off promotional jerseys.
Except they are not one off.

Anzac Day
WIL
Indigenous round
Heritage round
Charity jerseys
'One off' promotion strips.
Add alternate and away strips and your team could be running around in 8 different jerseys a year, and that's not including the 9s jersey.

insert.pause

First Grade
ps the NRL is going to have to clamp down at some point though. What's that we have now in terms of jersey designs?
ANZAC
Inidigenous
Charity
2 Home, 2 Alternates some teams
Heritage
One off marketing specials

Some clubs must be up around the 7 jerseys a season?

Women in League round.

I think Canberra's is the best, it's quite cleverly done.

100%green

Juniors
Except they are not one off.

Anzac Day
WIL
Indigenous round
Heritage round
Charity jerseys
'One off' promotion strips.
Add alternate and away strips and your team could be running around in 8 different jerseys a year, and that's not including the 9s jersey.

But again I am failing to see a problem. You can pick what you like to buy or none at all. You don't have to buy them all. Those who want to can. If you just want a home one then you can just get that. Raiders fans are one group who haven't had much to choose from till recently.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
But again I am failing to see a problem. You can pick what you like to buy or none at all. You don't have to buy them all. Those who want to can. If you just want a home one then you can just get that. Raiders fans are one group who haven't had much to choose from till recently.

It's about the integrity of the club and the jumper. Players on official club business are expected to dress in official club clothing be it suit and tie or training gear. Why? Because they are representing the club. The club is meant to stand for something in the community and the colours and logo of the club are symbols of the club.

The jersey of a team represents who you are and your history. The premiers of 1989, 1990 and 1994 didn't run out in hulk jerseys or yellow jerseys representing a new phone. They played in green jerseys because that is the traditional colours of the team.

I'm all for supporting causes and for marketing but it has become a joke this year. A jersey and a team strip is a uniform for a reason - you take pride in it and do anything to honour it. When you dress up as the hulk or batman for a buck you lose the jumper's integrity.

End rant.

Godz Illa

Coach
It's about the integrity of the club and the jumper. Players on official club business are expected to dress in official club clothing be it suit and tie or training gear. Why? Because they are representing the club. The club is meant to stand for something in the community and the colours and logo of the club are symbols of the club.

The jersey of a team represents who you are and your history. The premiers of 1989, 1990 and 1994 didn't run out in hulk jerseys or yellow jerseys representing a new phone. They played in green jerseys because that is the traditional colours of the team.

I'm all for supporting causes and for marketing but it has become a joke this year. A jersey and a team strip is a uniform for a reason - you take pride in it and do anything to honour it. When you dress up as the hulk or batman for a buck you lose the jumper's integrity.

End rant.
Great rant.

Fans like to complain that certain players don't have pride in the jumper. Not even the clubs have pride in the jumper these days.

GAZF

First Grade
And for those of us who actually enjoy these event jerseys?

I am sorry but for all of you who are complaining that there is to much of this there would be equal amount who enjoy it.

Not every fan is in love with their jersey. They may like some of the event one's that are available these days. Two of my favorite Raiders Jerseys are the ANZAC one and the Super League one. BUT I buy all the jerseys.

As I said, a compromise would be to still make them but keep them out of the on-field product. That way you all get your super special one-offs and the on-field product doesn't suffer.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

End rant.

(just don't click the button..)

The Great Dane

First Grade
As I said, a compromise would be to still make them but keep them out of the on-field product. That way you all get your super special one-offs and the on-field product doesn't suffer.

That would make the one-offs completely worthless to the groups who are in most cases paying very large amounts of money to have their logos on the jersey.

No special jersey no large payday for the clubs, and a very easy payday at that!

Look at some point you guys are going to have to accept that the NRL is a big business that needs to make money and promote it's self constantly to survive. Jerseys like these are a brilliant way to do both theses things, extremely cheaply.

BTW I hope ISC prints thousands of the Raiders ones as pretty much every Raiders fan I know (even the super casual ones that haven't attended a game in decade!) wants one, might be a fight down at Jerseys for these if there aren't enough.