What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 Team

Panfas

Juniors
I cant watch the game at work, but some of the reports on Twitter say Kevin Naiqama is having a great game at fullback for Fiji at the RLWC

Big Mick

Referee
He got MOTM for the game.

Not bad strike rate. 5 games, 2 Panthers as MOTM in 2 games they are involved in. Whare for NZ and Naiqama for Fiji.

ACTPanthers

Bench

Not bad strike rate. 5 games, 2 Panthers as MOTM in 2 games they are involved in. Whare for NZ and Naiqama for Fiji.

K. Naiqama looks to be a real talent - Looks dangerous every time he touches the footy

And we all know how good Whare is - He'll be one of the top centres in the game

franklin2323

Immortal

John has to be favourite to get MOTM on Thursday as well.

Whare looked the best of the Panthers so far. Hopefully Wallace shows something tomorrow

Copperhead

Juniors

And Manu makes 3. Tonga really disappointing. Except for Foster's grubbers for Manu's tries, there was no teamwork at all.

Yeah on the other side though Wallace was terrible

Forgot he was playing for Scotland.

Will have to catch a replay.

I've been critical of his signing, but most of the signings by Gus have been very smart, as shown by these man of the match performances.

Imo the club should start working immediately on Moylan in the halves. There's plenty of work to be done but also plenty of potential.

Naiqama will be the fullback.

My team for round one.

1 . Naiqama
2. Mansour
3. Peachey
4. Whare
5. Simmons
6. Soward
7. John /Moylan
8. Kite
9. Segeyaro
10.Grant
11.Manu
12.Robinson
13.Taylor

14. Brown
15. Plum
16. McKendry
17. Cartwright ( haven't seen a young forward this ready for a long time)

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
Walla ce was apparently much better this week according to the thread in the International section. Didnt watch the game myself, but still good to read others thought he did well.

Puntastic

Juniors
It was a good (not spectacular) performance. I couldn't fault him if he played like that in 2014. It's his attacking game that caught my attention, simply because its not the kind of game I'd seen him play in a long time.

Wallace really looked solid creatively paired with a running half in Brough (who ran the ball more effectively compared with the previous week). I honestly thought his role would be to provide safe, clean ball ball and create space for Soward only, and while this will probably mostly hold true, there might be a few surprises in attack around the corner for Penrith fans if this game was any indication (and Soward's running game comes on).

Reality is he hasn't been paired with a dominant, running half at Brisbane.

As for other players,

Kevin Naqaima and Dean Whare were brilliant. I'm starting to think Whare might just be one of the most underrated centres in the game.

Sika played a good game and got involved often. Kite was somewhat underwhelming for me but I haven't got his stats so it's possible I'm missing details.

Daniel Foster was solid, all things considered. This will be good for his experience.

Hopefully Taylor gets a chance to inject himself a lot more, but in fairness he hasn't had the same game time others have.

Randy81

Juniors
I am hopeful that the following lineup happens by mid year.
1. Moylan
2. K.naiqama
3. Blake
4. Whare
5. Simmons
6. Soward
7. Wallace
8. Kite
9. Segeyaro
10. Grant
11. Manu
12. Brown
13. Taylor
14. Peachey
15. Mckendry
16. Plum or docker
17. Cartwright.

franklin2323

Immortal
Wallace really looked solid creatively paired with a running half

Soward isn't a running half though. That's the problem I see we need someone who will take on the line.

Say we are set to the left the defence slides. A dummy & footwork is handy. Wallace doesn't offer that.

As for Kite all our 4 props in rotation will be like that none offer much other then ball under the arm & run.

Puntastic

Juniors
Soward isn't a running half though. That's the problem I see we need someone who will take on the line.

Say we are set to the left the defence slides. A dummy & footwork is handy. Wallace doesn't offer that.

As for Kite all our 4 props in rotation will be like that none offer much other then ball under the arm & run.

I do share your concerns - they are things that need addressing but can be managed.

Soward, in his prime (and no, I'm not arguing that he is quite in this kind of form) was a very good running half in the sense that he was very quick over 20 and kept the opposition in two minds (and his lateral movement could draw a defender or two). I think he's capable of providing this to an extent (though I don't think this was the defining factor in his signing by any means). Soward is, however, certainly comparable to many aspects of the game Brough played which is what made me sit up.

I think that 2014 is a year of playing simple football for the most part - Soward's kicking game is probably what was most attractive to Gus and Cleary in getting us out of danger. Wallace, I always felt, was simply going to play a very basic role. I just felt that seeing this side of him (which was mostly absent from Brisbane this season from what I saw - and living in QLD it was far, far too much for my liking ;-) ). In any event, it was more promising than what I was used to.

It doesn't eliminate my reservations about either of them though.

As far as having four very 1-dimensional front rowers is concerned, I think it's something that we can make work. If they all create meters consistently, which they are all capable of, there will be little to argue with. If Plum maintains 2013 form, I'm happy. Kite however shows signs of age at times, dropping off and going missing. He's certainly capable of very good performances - he just needs to ensure he can find consistency.

They should all provide though.

I'm just happy the RLWC is providing mostly positive signs so far.

Randy81

Juniors

Burns took on the line and got criticised for a poor passing game. Now we have two halves with a good passing game and they are still criticised.
IMO between John Wallace and soward, we have a group of halves which can spread the ball quickly and get to our dangerous second rowers and backs. They also have a well rounded long kicking game which we have lacked for years.

Peachey, Cartwright, Manu, Segeyaro, Taylor, moylan, whare, naiqama .....plenty of creative cattle who are the real key to our side

franklin2323

Immortal
Burns took on the line and got criticised for a poor passing game.

In 2011 when Jennings scored 2 tries. That was Burns' side. Compare Jennings runs to Tighe on the right. Something like 2:1 In Tighe's favour & Walsh can't even pass. So shows Burns' ineffectiveness.

If a team struggles it's both halves not just 1. We need a halves pairing to be able to do everything between them. Soward/Wallace leave us without a running game (in the hALVES)

John can't run a team as a dominate half. Though has the speed, footwork & provided this year he can sit back & let the other (Soward) take control.

franklin2323

Immortal
I do share your concerns - they are things that need addressing but can be managed.

We will make the 8 how high up is dependent on getting a few of these 'safe' players out & the skill in.

I don't expect too much change in game play or squad (I am 99% sure I can predict all except centre & bench backrower).

Simply changing Walsh >Soward. Newton> Taylor. Peachey > Ciraldo gets us in the 8.

Find a Prop with an offload or good footwork, A running half, Speed in the backs & of course Kingston being phased out are what will take us to a top side.

kiwipete

Juniors
Yeah we're definitely in a good position when it comes to the second row. I think the following blokes established themselves as deserving of a spot in our 2014 team:

11. Sika Manu
12. Lewis Brown
13. Adam Docker

14. Matt Robinson

But we have added Elijah Taylor who takes the #13 jersey. Leaving Docker and Robinson fighting for a bench spot... and Tyrone Peachey will join them in fighting for that position. Leaving us with 3 quality players fighting for one bench spot... possibly 2 if James Segeyaro gets his rightful starting position and Kingston is only used for depth.

Anthony Cherrington, Vaipuna Tia Kilifi and Bryce Cartright would also look pretty good in first grade IMO. Hard to see them getting a run without a couple of injuries, but I would love to see them all get a run at some point.

No mention of our NSW Cup player of the year and Bench forward for NSW Cup rep side of the year, Sam Anderson? He's a no nonsense, very solid prop in the mould of Paul Gallen or MacHendry who can handle big minutes and just doesn't give up in defence and has no mistakes in him. Not the biggest prop going around but at 100kg's and 6 foot he has a huge motor and doesn't give an inch.I'd also love to see Cartwright make the top grade but still a bit green for mine, and his defence when stepping up to NSW cup this year was found to be wanting a lot. Great in attack , like Cherrington is but there's no use scoring 30 points if you let the opposition score 40 which was evident in our Grand Final this year, Cherro lost the plot when under pressure and when Anderson was off the field the Sharks had a field day up the centre. He had a solid debut and is in Ivans plans for the future, and would have played more first grade if not injured in his second game against the Warriors. IMO. Can't wait to see all 3 grades back in Panthers colours next year.

mxlegend99

Referee
Why would i mention Sam Anderson when my focus was our second row quality and depth? We will have a front row of Kite, Grant, McKendry and Plum. Anderson would top off the depth list most likely. But i don't think there's any doubt or competition to our full strength front row. Not like there is in the second row.