What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 Line-Up - Thoughts ?

Hi all;

1. Slater
2. Duffie
3. Chambers
4. Fonua
5. Koroibete
6. Green
7. Cronk
8. Bromwich
9. Smith
10. McLean
11. Proctor
12. Harris
13. Hinchcliffe

14. Finucane
15. Glasby
16. Asofa-Solomona
17. Mann

Griffin will probably get game time as well when Smith is out and I have not included TLL at this stage as he is injured.

Kenny Bromwich, Hampton, Nona, Munster, Kennar, Tonumaipeau and Weston will all be pushing for spots as well.

We seem to be light in the forwards for depth and Duffie will be interesting...he may have lost some pace with his in injuries and may not hold his spot.

Billythekid

First Grade
Even pre injury Duffie was pretty average, i have no faith in his defense and outside of leaping for the ball i don't rate his attack (particularly his put downs). Just like in recent years i think we could struggle with our defense out wide, teams seem to get around us too easily and with Duffie and Marika defending on the wing it doesn't give much confidence.

Yet again we're going in with a nothing 5/8 but if he can tackle that would be a step up! I don't think we really need a 5/8 who is all that creative (and Widdops impact was and is overstated) but we do need one who doesn't make lots of errors and can actually tackle.

Our starting forward pack looks strong and will be a strength for us like it has been the last couple of years (previously it was always a weakness for us). As you said though depth doesn't look that great and i'm not sure how well our pack will hold up throughout the year.

I still think we're capable of winning the whole thing but i'm not confident at all. The big 3 aren't getting any younger and our squad hasn't really improved all that much. It will be an interesting year anyway.

Agree completely with your view on Duffie...even when he returned the ball out of defence he looked scared and never did his share of work to be honest.

As for Green or Hampton..I would go for neither and would have groomed Kurt Mann for the role. That guy is underated and can play multiple positions.

Elektrik Shock

Juniors
1. Slater
2. Munster
3. Chambers
4. Fonua
5. Koroibete
6. Green
7. Cronk
8. Bromwich
9. Smith
10. McLean
11. Proctor
12. Harris
13. Finucane

14. Hinchcliffe
15. Glasby
16. Asofa-Solomona
17. Learoyd-Lahrs

Based on the pre-season trial win tonight some of the fringe players looked strong for Storm.

The likes of Munster, Tonumaipeau and Kaufusi played well and the other pleasing aspect was that Slater looked fast again with no bandages holding his knees together.

TLL played the last 20 mins and looked strong and will definitely add grunt to the forward pack is he can stay injury free.

Tryhard

Juniors
Even pre injury Duffie was pretty average, i have no faith in his defense and outside of leaping for the ball i don't rate his attack (particularly his put downs). Just like in recent years i think we could struggle with our defense out wide, teams seem to get around us too easily and with Duffie and Marika defending on the wing it doesn't give much confidence.

Yet again we're going in with a nothing 5/8 but if he can tackle that would be a step up! I don't think we really need a 5/8 who is all that creative (and Widdops impact was and is overstated) but we do need one who doesn't make lots of errors and can actually tackle.

Our starting forward pack looks strong and will be a strength for us like it has been the last couple of years (previously it was always a weakness for us). As you said though depth doesn't look that great and i'm not sure how well our pack will hold up throughout the year.

I still think we're capable of winning the whole thing but i'm not confident at all. The big 3 aren't getting any younger and our squad hasn't really improved all that much. It will be an interesting year anyway.

Is Duffie even back to 100%? I can't see him going the distance. Agree with your Marika comment & I don't rate Fonua as a 1st grade centre. The pack looks good & we'll just have to wait and see how 5/8 goes! It could be a struggle this season.

Lowdown

Juniors
I seriously doubt they will rush Smith back for week 1.

My understanding is they've trained nearly all of the off-season with Hinchy at hooker, so I reckon even if Cam is 'fit', they will go safe and rest him, for either week 2 (almost certain if the Dragons give us a touch up), or more realistically, the first home game in week 3.

I also think NAS may be forced to earn his call-up in reserve grade. K-Brom may have the experience early on, with NAS getting a look-in soon, but not just now. I hope I'm wrong though, I'd love to his his size and mobility added to the pack. With NAS, alongside J-Brom, TLL and McLean - their forward pack now becomes one of the biggest in the NRL.

1. Slater
2. Fonua
3. Chambers
4. Mann
5. Koroibete
6. Green
7. Cronk (c)
8. Bromwich
9. Hinchcliffe
10. McLean
11. Proctor
12. Harris
13. Finucane

14. Griffin
15. Glasby
16. K. Bromwich
17. Learoyd-Lahrs

I reckon Felise Kaufusi is not far away from getting into that starting squad as well.

Exiciting times ahead for the young forward pack we have...Harris, Proctor and Bromwich will have to stand up in the absence of Smith.

I also think Griffin is better than Hinchcliffe who is showing his age...