What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 NRL Jersey & Sponsorship Discussion

Card Shark

Immortal
2 in Aus & 1 to promote the game (& our bond with kiwis) over there should be mandatory on ANZAC day.

Can't understand we it needs to be played in Melbourne.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
^your pic doesnt do it justice. Even my one doesnt. Watched them doing their warm up before the game and got a close look at it. Really nice jersey with some great detail.

B0LwLL-CAAI210k_zpsef5d45f8.jpg

This should be the National jersey for Touch Football (in a singlet of course)....

Obviously distinct form the RL Kangaroos, but at the same time a solid association.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I am aware and that's a good idea.

I just figured that since NZ always play the Storm in Melbourne they'd keep the tradition going but i could definitely see a Warriors home game.

Wellington could host Canberra when NZ gets a second team, leaves the NZ-Melb rivalry to continue along nicely.

cleary89

Coach
All the kiwis i lived with in london didnt realise we celebrated it that much. For them it was just another day. It is def a lot bigger here than over there. Didnt it get 25k in melb last year? Its their biggest drawing game of the year. Why ruin what they have built up just because "nz is part of anzac".

Perth Red

Post Whore
This should be the National jersey for Touch Football (in a singlet of course)....

Obviously distinct form the RL Kangaroos, but at the same time a solid association.

Why would you want to look like the Wallabies? Green with gold, only style any RL Kangaroos jersey should be. Leave the yellow to the Wannabies!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Why would you want to look like the Wallabies? Green with gold, only style any RL Kangaroos jersey should be. Leave the yellow to the Wannabies!

Why??

Why not claim the image of the gold jersey and decide the concentrations that surround it?

Its not like there is already an iconic image related to the National Touch teams. Like i said, this is distinct from the RL Kangaroos, but still an obvious reference...

Nugget10

Juniors
Whilst that Kiwi jumper is nice I don't think International jerseys should be messed with. The Poms are constantly f**king with their jersey and it cheapens the Test match in my opinion

thorson1987

Coach

Well considering every other Australian side wore that strip at their respective World Cups last year, it's a good idea.

Keeps them separate from the main jersey.

Police

imagesource.php

Women

imagesource.php

Armed Forces

imagesource.php

Students

imagesource.php

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Id actually like to see the Kangaroo jersey only brought out for World Cups every 4 years...

The green and Gold is meant to be the pinnical achievement of the sport, but when you hear stories about players pulling out of Roos games in favour of their club, it makes the jersey seem less valuable, but they can do it because they know they will get another shot next year.

In between, id rather they played as the Chairmans XIII in that blue and maroon or something to that effect and bring an Indigenous Australian team into the international mix (scrap the All Stars game but maintain the Indigenous concept)

Last edited:

insert.pause

First Grade
Id actually like to see the Kangaroo jersey only brought out for World Cups every 4 years...

The green and Gold is meant to be the pinnical achievement of the sport, but when you hear stories about players pulling out of Roos games in favour of their club, it makes the jersey seem less valuable, but they can do it because they know they will get another shot next year.

In between, id rather they played as the Chairmans XIII in that blue and maroon or something to that effect and bring an Indigenous Australian team into the international mix (scrap the All Stars game but maintain the Indigenous concept)

How can you expect to strengthen the international game without regular quality competition? Who has not made themselves available because the club told them or because they didn't want to play?

Every time we are about to start an international competition the media talk it down and say it shouldn't be played and in the next breath suggest the Australian jumper is being devalued, it's quick frankly bullshit, not playing it devalues it. I can't for the life of me understand how anyone can continue to be soo negative about international rugby league after the last decade of tournaments that has seen NZ win a World Cup and two four nations titles and just last year a great World Cup with one of the most brutally tough semi finals in World Cup history between NZ and ENG in front of a massive crowd at Wembley. The international game is in great shape and should be encouraged, not put down by ignorant big mouths like Jim Wilson who tonight said the 4ations had run its race as a concept and compared it to that quidditch-like International Rules crap. It doesn't get the respect it deserves.

Card Shark

Immortal
Internationals have to be played, it is important for our game, especially the development of pacific island nations.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
How can you expect to strengthen the international game without regular quality competition? Who has not made themselves available because the club told them or because they didn't want to play?

Internationals have to be played, it is important for our game, especially the development of pacific island nations.

Im not saying "dont play internationals" and im not saying "dont have an Aussie team", im saying add a bit of percieved value to the Kangaroos jersey by making it scarce...

The Green and Gold Chevrons is the symbol of RL in Australia, its on the badge of every major jersey. So, in turn, it should be something players would kill to run on in. If it was only worn every 4 years in World Cup tournaments, then the opportunity to wear it might only come around a few times in a given career. It would become something players dream of above SOO.

Not to say that Australia shouldnt play in the international scene, just not in that jersey. Id like to see it broken into 2 teams (the Indigenous national team and a chairmans XIII).
This would keep the Indigeous concept alive even if the All Stars game dies, but it doesnt damage the Roos jersey by making it a "White Australia" Jersey; the Roos would represent a United Australia.

6170.jpg

5536.jpg

(Having 2 strong Aussie teams duking it out cant be a bad thing, its not like Australia need MORE help)

Last edited:

thorson1987

Coach
Im not saying "dont play internationals" and im not saying "dont have an Aussie team", im saying add a bit of percieved value to the Kangaroos jersey by making it scarce...

The Green and Gold Chevrons is the symbol of RL in Australia, its on the badge of every major jersey. So, in turn, it should be something players would kill to run on in. If it was only worn every 4 years in World Cup tournaments, then the opportunity to wear it might only come around a few times in a given career. It would become something players dream of above SOO.

Not to say that Australia shouldnt play in the international scene, just not in that jersey. Id like to see it broken into 2 teams (the Indigenous national team and a chairmans XIII).
This would keep the Indigeous concept alive even if the All Stars game dies, but it doesnt damage the Roos jersey but making it a "White Australia" Jersey; the Roos would represent a United Australia.

6170.jpg

5536.jpg

(Having 2 strong Aussie teams duking it out cant be a bad thing, its not like Australia need MORE help)

Stop, seriously.

Lambretta

First Grade

Having a "white Australia team" and an indigenous team? Seriously?

If anything, the Kangaroos should only play in the 4 Nations tournament or Anzac test as they play against proper competition.

As for the World Cup, that is a bit of a joke as it stands tbh. Everyone knows that unless Ricky Stuart is coaching the Kangaroos, the Kangaroos are going to win it. It's a bloody foregone conclusion.

Australia could field NSW and QLD in the "World Cup" because at least that would even out the competition and bring England and New Zealand into contention more.

But if you do that, fewer players would get to play for the Pacific teams as Australia would take up double the number of players it currently uses, again weakening the lower tiers of the competition.

The only way to really have a stronger international game is to sever State of Origin selection from the Kangaroos entirely. You have to have one set of criteria for Origin.... must have lived in your State before a certain age etc etc etc - whereas for International selection you can choose your Nation based on heritage or birth.

Yes, you'll get people that grew up in QLD or NSW "choosing" to represent Fiji or PNG or Tonga - but surely that's better than forcing them to play for Australia if they want to play for their State.

insert.pause

First Grade
The world cup is not a joke, you can't expect to raise the standard of the international game without giving developing league nations the opportunity to compete against the best, it's also just as much about celebrating the international game and the different cultures it touches.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Having a "white Australia team" and an indigenous team? Seriously?

no, not even kind of...

Im saying keep the indigenous national team (but lose that bloody allstars game) WITHOUT creating a White Australia team.

A Chairmans XIII would still have islanders and non-Europeans, it just provides the game an opportunity to pay homage to the Indigenous heritage of the nation.

If anything, the Kangaroos should only play in the 4 Nations tournament or Anzac test as they play against proper competition.

As for the World Cup, that is a bit of a joke as it stands tbh. Everyone knows that unless Ricky Stuart is coaching the Kangaroos, the Kangaroos are going to win it. It's a bloody foregone conclusion.

Australia could field NSW and QLD in the "World Cup" because at least that would even out the competition and bring England and New Zealand into contention more.

This would have been fantastic did Sate of Origin not exist...

I think playing these teams in another arena would damage the SOO brand. Other than that though, lining NSW/QLD on the same level as states like NZ or England seems reasonable.

But if you do that, fewer players would get to play for the Pacific teams as Australia would take up double the number of players it currently uses, again weakening the lower tiers of the competition.

The only way to really have a stronger international game is to sever State of Origin selection from the Kangaroos entirely. You have to have one set of criteria for Origin.... must have lived in your State before a certain age etc etc etc - whereas for International selection you can choose your Nation based on heritage or birth.

Yes, you'll get people that grew up in QLD or NSW "choosing" to represent Fiji or PNG or Tonga - but surely that's better than forcing them to play for Australia if they want to play for their State.

This i totally agree with. If, hypothetically, i had made first grade, i know id be annoyed at needing to choose between NSW and Ireland. In this day and age, it seems reasonable to accept that people will have more than one national heritage they are proud of...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The world cup is not a joke, you can't expect to raise the standard of the international game without giving developing league nations the opportunity to compete against the best, it's also just as much about celebrating the international game and the different cultures it touches.

I think a WC 9s tournament would be good...

Not to replace the RLWC, but maybe in the alternate 4th year. It would just even the playing field in that its hard to give a flogging in 18 minutes and big upsets can occur due to a lucky bounce.

It doesnt actually mean much to win a 9s tournament, but it would be great for Fiji or someone getting a win over Australia.

Lambretta

First Grade

I said a bit of a joke. I love the World Cup, I really do. It's just it's pretty much a foregone conclusion before it starts.

The eligibility rules are such that one team gets loaded up with the best players available and those players are denied the right to play for other teams because of a completely unrelated competition. That is laughable.

Yes developing nations should be able to pit themselves against the best, but developing nations should not be denied the right to include some of the best among their numbers.

Australia stacks the odds in its favour and then scratches its head wondering why no one else but Australians give a shit about it.

Last edited:

Latest posts