What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 Player Retention

Drew-Sta

Staff member
As this is my first season of FFBRL I'm unaware of the coach retention rate or if you are looking for an "even" competition or allowing long term coaches to build super clubs.

As a new coach, this sucks and has taken the wind out of what I think has been a successful relaunch of a club. Based on what I have read there is no equalisers when you lose a Benji or an SBW. We aren't governed by a salary cap (allowing me to pay overs for replacement talent) or provided additional draft picks to secure additional quality talent. With the average player statistic far lower than the ASRL, the quality in the draft will be far lower too. There will also be no change of recasting players stats while we remain in the NRL off season.

They are my thoughts on the matter. If I was around for the Benji defection I would have said keep him in available the game. I'm old school ASRL and I appreciate this is a new world.

I tend to agree with this, but one thing I'd like to initiate is that any club without a coach (St Johns, Oregon, a few others) will have all talent dropped into the draft, and teams who have had coaches pick them up (ala you) will get a 2 or 3 player initial pick to help equalise.

Just my thoughts.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I tend to agree with this, but one thing I'd like to initiate is that any club without a coach (St Johns, Oregon, a few others) will have all talent dropped into the draft, and teams who have had coaches pick them up (ala you) will get a 2 or 3 player initial pick to help equalise.

I'm reluctant to cut both teams, as a twelve team competition is going to be mighty weak. Ideally, we'd look at gaining back some of the ground we lost in cutting from 20 teams to 14.

soc123_au

Staff member
Shenzhen Full Time Squad

1- Michael Gordon
2- Matt Duffie
3- Tyrone Peachey
4- Kevin Locke
5- Shaun Johnson
6- Jamie Peacock
7- Matt Ballin
8- Sam McKendry
9- Luke Lewis
10- Corey Parker
11- Wade Graham
12- Nigel Plum
13- Tim Grant

Juniors

1 William Isa
2 Blake Austin
3 Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
4 Michael Lichaa

Released

Craig Hall
Lewis Brown
Ali Lauititti
Kevin Gordon
Matt Robinson
Blake Green
Kevin Proctor
Greg Eastwood
Mose Masoe
Matt Srama

Retired

Fui Fui Moi Moi
Brad Fittler

Drew-Sta

Staff member
I'm reluctant to cut both teams, as a twelve team competition is going to be mighty weak. Ideally, we'd look at gaining back some of the ground we lost in cutting from 20 teams to 14.

This is fine. But Charisma's point remains the same.

I'm happy for them to pick out, say, three players from those teams prior to retention. It would level the field.

I don't want to drop the team count too and I'm happy to caretaker next season for St Johns, but I'm also aware that to encourage other coaches we can't discourage them by having them hamstrung.

If you follow what I'm saying.

Misanthrope

Staff member
This is fine. But Charisma's point remains the same.

I'm happy for them to pick out, say, three players from those teams prior to retention. It would level the field.

I don't want to drop the team count too and I'm happy to caretaker next season for St Johns, but I'm also aware that to encourage other coaches we can't discourage them by having them hamstrung.

If you follow what I'm saying.

They being who? Anybody who is losing a player to union?

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Actually, its less 'them' and more MrCharisma, who has joined late.

Sorry, my other post was a bit rubbishy.

Didgi

Luck of the draw. You don't have people getting a bonus pick because a player got a season ending injury and dropped in the ratings, or retired. It hasn't been done before, shouldn't be done now.

Who had Todd Carney? You get a free pick. Alex McKinnon? You get a free pick.

When everyone gets a free pick, no one does.

afinalsin666

First Grade
I have had six or seven big retirings these past two seasons, I'm just as shot.

Look at it this way, now we all hate union in the game as much as in real life, so the simulation is getting closer.

MrCharisma

Bench
Luck of the draw. You don't have people getting a bonus pick because a player got a season ending injury and dropped in the ratings, or retired. It hasn't been done before, shouldn't be done now.

Who had Todd Carney? You get a free pick. Alex McKinnon? You get a free pick.

When everyone gets a free pick, no one does.

The risk with this stance is that coaches get the raw end of the stick, it becomes difficult to compete and eventually the coach disappears.

Todd Carney is in the ESL, no issue.

Alex McKinnon is probably 7/7, tolerable.

Yes it is very unlucky that I lose two superstars and this certainly doesn't happen every season. My point is that under the current structure there is very little somebody in my position can do to remain competitive.

Everyone will retain their best players (rightfully so) and their brightest talent will also be kept (and most likely re-rated to a far superior score above the current limit). Player pool is flooded with primarily 7/7's and less, and this vicious cycle continues. I don't have the talent to trade up for improved players, and I currently have to compete on the same draft system that a superstar filled side has.

I don't have the answer to resolve this issue.

Bazal

Post Whore
Easy solution. Sydney gets either first draft pick or the first double pick. It's just bad luck (although honestly I would say I'm not alone in not having picked SBW due to the fact it was always known he was going back). IMO NT lost just as much last year, wouldn't be right to change it now.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Yeah, there's no easy solution to this one. I guess I just want to make sure everyone gets a fair crack without overcompensating for it.

Its tough.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Given the extenuating circumstances, I've no issue with Sydney getting first draft pick.

That's about as much as we can do without rewriting the rulebook completely.

Misanthrope

Staff member
There's far weaker teams than Sydney without Burgess and SBW.

Given the draw is usually random anyway, there's no guarantee said teams would get a high place in the draft.

That said, I don't think there's a weaker coached team out there.

Didgi

I'm just saying if we're giving teams preferential treatment there's others just as deserving. I don't like the distinction between coached and uncoached, should all be treated alike. New coaches should have a team just as likely at success as any other.

Personally I've done my bit by donating Jarrod Mullen and Nate Myles to Oregon :sarcasm: :p

I will add though I was assuming the draft would be snaking bottom-top based on ladder finish.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I will add though I was assuming the draft would be snaking bottom-top based on ladder finish.

It was simply randomized last year. Unless there is any great objection, I'd be happy to go down that route again this year.

afinalsin666

First Grade
Subject to change

Retaining

1. Greg Inglis
2. Brett Stewart
3. James Graham
4. Jared Warea-Hargreaves
5. Robbie Farah
6. Mitchell Pearce
7. James McManus
8. Ryan Bailey
9. Will Hopoate
10. Tohu Harris
11. Jodie Broughton
12. Adam Blair
13. Dean Whare

14. Young Tonumapaiea
15. Mark Sneyd
16. Tom Makinson
17. Jordan Mclean

Retiring

John Morris
Dallas Johnson
Ashley Harrison

Releasing

Ken Sio
Chris Clarkson
Aaron Murphy
Luke Walsh
Heath L'Estrange
Michael Weyman
Daniel Mortimer
David Simmons
Hymel Hunt

mickyj

Bench
I just lol when they wrote that they signed his replacement already in Reece Robinson haha and he will fast tracked to full back. yeh good idea teach someone to play a position while keeping hoppa at centre
you can never take parra out of the eels