What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 State of Origin

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Can you tell us 1 game when Pearce had an outstanding origin game? In such a crucial position I don't think he has ever won a man of the match, players player or put in a dominant performance. He is a decent club player but not up to origin.

If Pearce isn't up to Origin then neither are the incumbents. Reynolds had a shocker and Hodkinson was invisible - he went over untouched because he spent 75 minutes fooling Queensland into thinking he was never going to run.

Pearce is no match winner but neither does he need to be. With a solid running, passing, kicking, tackling half like him on one side of the field you have far less need of a match winner.

Noise

Coach
Hodkinson didn't have an outstanding game either.
He had one outstanding run. Apart from that he was invisible.
Reynolds was more noticeable than Hodko, but not for good reasons. It was like he was actively working against the Blues. His series was worse than anything Pearce put up.

I'm not going to sit here and say Pearce has played well in Orign. I can't. He has played poorly.
But he may be the best we have, and has matured as a player over the last couple of years.

He might not be the best option...but he is a damn sight better than the blokes who were there last year.

Assuming A Reynold's is out injured, who would be your 6 and 7?

Noise

Coach
If Pearce isn't up to Origin then neither are the incumbents. Reynolds had a shocker and Hodkinson was invisible - he went over untouched because he spent 75 minutes fooling Queensland into thinking he was never going to run.

Pearce is no match winner but neither does he need to be. With a solid running, passing, kicking, tackling half like him on one side of the field you have far less need of a match winner.

It appears you do need a match winner (if you want to win) when you have a half like Pearce in origin.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well if you can think of one that qualifies for NSW, stick him on the other side to Pearce. Then you get the best of both worlds.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Is Blake Austin a New South Welshman?
I really dont care who the halves are. I just know if Gallen and Bird do that hog the ball head down bum up crap again ill be changing the channel. Id rather NSW loose that watch that rubbish again.

Noise

Coach
Well if you can think of one that qualifies for NSW, stick him on the other side to Pearce. Then you get the best of both worlds.

I reckon Mullen is a match winner. I also reckon he plays his best footy on the right side. Hence put Hodko who is fairly solid on the left. Goal kicking and posiibly field goals also helps.

Noise

Coach
Is Pearce really that good a tackler? Pou, you said he was a great defender for a half. This year he has averaged 3.6 missed tackles a game. There is nothing great about that.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Yep, good objective observation. Like these other haters, I'm jealous of Pearce too but credit where credit is due. We didn't lose all those series because of him and we didn't win because of Josh Reynolds. Pearce is s much better player. Just because he's had an easy life doesn't mean he didn't earn Origin selection. Hayne's Origin record isn't much better than Pearce's, even though Hayne is a much better player.

Difference being, Hayne was regularly our best player, Pearce was regularly on the other end of the spectrum. His decision making in crucial moments was extremely poor in origin for a half, no matter how you want to dress him up as a club footballer

Hodkinson over Pearce for mine for the no 7 gig for NSW

T.S Quint

Coach
Assuming A Reynold's is out injured, who would be your 6 and 7?

Probably Mullen and Pearce.
Two good kicking games, both defensively capable, and both have good long and short passing skills.
Still not sure who I would want as fullback just yet.
Stewart has the experience and is still a very good player. Dugan has the size and strength. Moylan has terrific ball skills and speed (but is very inexperienced).

We have capable players to put at the back, but Hayne leaving really did leave a big hole there.

Noise

Coach
Halves stats this year:

Hodkinson
0 tries
4 try assists
4 LBA
0 line breaks
6 missed tackles
Goal Kicker

Pearce
0 tries
7 try assists
5 LBA
0 line breaks
18 missed tackles

Mullen
0 tries
4 try assists
6 LBA
1 line break
13 missed tackles

A Reynolds
0 tries
8 try assists
4 LBA
1 line break
7 missed tackles
Goal kicker

J Reynolds has played less games so i left him out. I'm not sure why people think Pearce is head and shoulders above the others. Everything is fairly even bar two categories. His try assists are above the others (mainly due to their flogging of the Raiders) and his missed tackles are way above the other contenders. Maybe he isn't such a great defender for a half?

*Nothing to do with origin but sandow has only 11 missed tackles so far!

Last edited:

lafai

Bench
Hoppa to wing for Origin? He's a shit fullback but his dummy half runs are good for a winger. Although Cronk and JT would have a field day targeting him with kicks.

Last edited:

BoneyBlake17

Juniors
Is Blake Austin a New South Welshman?
I really dont care who the halves are. I just know if Gallen and Bird do that hog the ball head down bum up crap again ill be changing the channel. Id rather NSW loose that watch that rubbish again.

Couldnt agree more in that 2nd game last year i almost broke the tv watching bird, gallen and farah just hogging the ball. We didnt look like scoring apart from that 1 play from hodkinson.

And NSW played their best game in years in game 1 when bird was out suspended. With bird out suspended is not the worst thing to happen to them.

Chipmunk

Coach
Eels - 0 rep players missing 3 games to be played over origin vs affected teams.

I think that woody of yours will soften pretty quickly if we don't make the most of the opportunity though and lose all 3.

On the otherside of the equation though, if we're a fair dinkum Top 8 team, we should win our next two games at Pirtek over the next two weeks, which means that both Watmough and Hoppa will both probably put in some good performances and they will likely get picked for Origin.

Bit of a Catch-22....

Craig Johnston

First Grade
I think that woody of yours will soften pretty quickly if we don't make the most of the opportunity though and lose all 3.

On the otherside of the equation though, if we're a fair dinkum Top 8 team, we should win our next two games at Pirtek over the next two weeks, which means that both Watmough and Hoppa will both probably put in some good performances and they will likely get picked for Origin.

Bit of a Catch-22....

no matter how good your ticker is or isn't, no-one will say no to an inside track