What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 State of Origin

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
If Soward was available, I would be picking Pearce / Soward. Thought he did a lot at origin the Maloney / Reynolds did.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
he's dumb enough, you dont need to be intelligent to be an ex leagie

oldmancraigy

Coach
The wingers have to be Tupou and Johnston. Mansour backup if someone is unavailable.
Personally I would have Moylan at fullback - Dugan offers little at that level, lots of grit and determination, but not the class.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I pity Johnson if he ever has to play outside Jennings again, he will never see the ball

Never seen a more selfish player.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Dugan has generally done well at rep level. SOO needs strong ball runners

really?

Honestly, I can't recall him being anything special? I am old though. He certainly tries hard, but kinda reminds me of the rodeo clown getting buffeted by the bulls.... just doesn't have the ability to step up and be the matador!
There would be worse options than him though - but I'd would go for Moylan or Stewart.

Forty20

First Grade
NSW coach Laurie Daley set to ignore injury concerns over Will Hopoate

NSW coach Laurie Daley is expected to ignore concerns from Parramatta about the fitness of Will Hopoate and select the Eels star on the right wing for the opening State of Origin match at ANZ Stadium on May 27.

Hopoate has been battling a groin injury for most of the season and Parramatta officials have advised the Blues camp that Hopoate may struggle with the demands of Origin if chosen.

The Eels centre withdrew from the annual City-Country clash because of the injury, which has been troubling him since the pre-season. He has not missed a match for Parramatta this season, however, and made a game-high 187 metres from 19 runs in Saturday night's 17-13 loss to the Warriors, which included a try assist, two tackle breaks, a line break assist and an offload.

With Canterbury's Brett Morris sidelined by a knee injury, Fairfax Media understand that Daley plans to pick Hopoate over South Sydney's Alex Johnston after being told of similar concerns from the Eels camp last season about his fitness.

Hopoate, who made his Origin debut while a rookie at Manly in 2011 before leaving the game for a two-year Mormon mission, replaced Morris on the wing in the second game of last year's series after the Test winger and his twin Josh had both heroically ignored serious injuries to help the Blues win the series opener.

However, the 23-year-old also suffered a shoulder injury that required pain-killing injections for him to remain on the field in NSW's series-clinching 6-2 victory that ended Queensland's eight-year domination and he missed the third Origin in Brisbane.

Should the Blues medical staff have any doubts about Hopoate's groin injury, Johnston is expected to be called in to replace him after making his Test debut for Australia in the 26-12 Anzac Test loss to New Zealand.

After scoring 19 tries in 16 matches for Souths last season, the 20-year-old has crossed for eight tries in 10 matches so far this season.

But the fact that Johnston usually plays on the left wing for the Rabbitohs is a reason he is leaning towards Hopoate as Sydney Roosters winger Daniel Tupou is set to retain that position and maintain his left side club combination with centre Michael Jennings.

Josh Morris will be right centre, with St George Illawarra's Josh Dugan at fullback.

Daley also has other fitness concerns to check on before finalising his team ahead of Tuesday's announcement after secondrower Ryan Hoffman was concussed for the second time in three matches for the Warriors and utility Luke Lewis suffered respiratory problems during Cronulla's 23-22 win over Gold Coast .

A groggy Hoffman had to be assisted from the field in just the third minute of Saturday night's win at Parramatta Stadium and Warriors doctor John Mayhew said he would need to go through the standard NRL concussion protocols before a final decision could be made on his availability for Origin 1.

The 2014 NSW player of the series, said, however, that the head knock wouldn't keep him out of the series opener.

"I feel completely fine and feel there will be no problems," Hoffman said after the match. He later tweeted: "Thanks everyone for their concern but I'm fine. Bit of a bump but I'm ok. Outstanding win from the boys. TOUGH win!!!"

Lewis is also confident of being fit after suffering breathing problems caused by complications from the medication he has been taking after a thyroid cancer scare last year.

While there are suggestions that his position was under threat from Sharks teammate Andrew Fifita, Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan believes Lewis' big match experience will be invaluable for the Blues.

The 31-year-old has made 17 Origin appearances for NSW since his debut in 2004 and will be the most experienced member of the Blues side after the withdrawal of captain Paul Gallen with a hip injury, suspension of Greg Bird and loss of Jarryd Hayne to NFL.

"I don't really want to start telling Laurie what to do but Luke is a leader and he'll be a leader in that Origin group," Flanagan said after an inspirational performance by Lewis in Cronulla's golden point win over the Titans, in which he scored a try and made two charge downs.

"I'm sure Laurie will use him in that leadership role. I don't think it'll worry Luke if he starts or comes off the bench."
Clicky

Ground hog day? Brad Arthur and company advised Daley that Hopoate would not be up for Origin physically last year and we all know what happened back then...

Eelementary

Post Whore
Daley claims he's big on incumbency, but then how come Watmough and Scott were dropped?

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if Daley opts for Hoppa even if he isn't 100%.

hindy111

Post Whore
First picked should be Moylan.Dont pick him we lose.We need points and behind thurston he is the best ball player in the comp.
Dugan in the centres with morris.Jennings and toupo on the wings.