What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 Team

Noname36

First Grade
Well, they will be spending that money under the salary cap regardless, it's just obviously much better used on someone who will actually be playing for us and not the Broncos.

Why Wayne needs to steal $300k of our cap when the Broncs have $1m+ in third party deals for their players I don't know. Release one of your seven fullbacks instead of trying to screw the Knights maybe.

Yeah but given we're NRL run the NRL probably wouldn't want to fork an extra 300k they don't need to out just on principle and put a stop to it. Boyd's manager would be well aware of that too and will use our current situation to his advantage. Probably get Bennett to give some bullshit speech about how it's a good outcome for all parties too...which is complete bullshit because at the end of the day we'd be paying him to play for another club and helping Brisbane. What do we get out of it? Absolutely nothing . There's nobody off contract to spend that extra 300k on anyway.

Nuffy

Bench
Yeah but given we're NRL run the NRL probably wouldn't want to fork an extra 300k they don't need to out just on principle and put a stop to it. Boyd's manager would be well aware of that too and will use our current situation to his advantage. Probably get Bennett to give some bullshit speech about how it's a good outcome for all parties too...which is complete bullshit because at the end of the day we'd be paying him to play for another club and helping Brisbane. What do we get out of it? Absolutely nothing . There's nobody off contract to spend that extra 300k on anyway.

I am sure that Boyds manager is just trying it on, perhaps he is using the mental health issue as a helpful lever to try and get some cash.

Again, the point is, if there were some contractual obligation, then it would have been paid. So now it's a form of emotional blackmail to try and squeeze some cash out of the club.

I'm not passing judgement on Boyd and his issue but rather the actions of his manager.

Again I am going to make the point that Boyd has been treated unbelievably well by the Knights and this is how he repays the club.

Last edited:

Noname36

First Grade
Again I am going to make the point that Boyd has been treated unbelievably well by the Knights and this is how he repays the club.

Absolutely. He's using the club's generosity to him against us to get money. He may still be peeved about the third party stuff but Tinkler was the one that didn't come up with that. Those that are left at the club have treated him unbelievably well for so little in return.

What other club would let him run off to Greece while they were still paying him while his teammates have to keep going out there week after week with an already depleted squad? The moment he was released from rehab without an actual depression diagnosis the club could have easily made him come back and fulfil his obligations...in fact most would.

Kick in the guts.

Nuffy

Bench
Does anyone really think that Boyd wants to stay, there is no chance, so call his bluff.

Although he looks like he is far too busy sunning himself in Greece to sort this out.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Unless he exercises his get out clause the Knights are obliged to pay him $600k.

and he is obliged to stay in Newcastle for 2015 and play bloody football unless he does exercise the clause

Personally Id gladly see us pay $300k to be rid of him. I know he has had his issues but I just couldnt warm to the bloke and would be happy to not have to defend him any longer just because he plays for my club

Swarzey

Bench
I don't see us using the full cap space we have for 2015, it would be a waste if we did. So throw 300K away for next season to get this merkin off our hands? Small price to pay. Of course, I'd only want the club to do this as a last resort.

But this is all very typical Bennett. Glad he's going.

otori

Juniors
I don't see us using the full cap space we have for 2015, it would be a waste if we did. So throw 300K away for next season to get this merkin off our hands? Small price to pay. Of course, I'd only want the club to do this as a last resort.

But this is all very typical Bennett. Glad he's going.

I'd be happy to pay half if they send us Hannant as a sweetener. Otherwise, if we can't find anyone to spend the extra cash on, I'm happy to pay him $600K to sit the season out like Tallis did. f**k him and f**k Bennett if their attitude is Newie isn't worth it

aqua_duck

Coach
There's no way we should pay $300k to help broncos fit him under their cap, f**k that. Tell him how it is, if he goes he goes, no compensation, if he wants to take us to court to recover a non guaranteed 3rd party deal (which technically shouldn't involve the club anyway) then good luck to him, from there he has 2 options piss off or stay and play, tell him he'll be starting the year in NSW cup an has to earn his spot in the team, I guarantee you he'll exercise that clause quick smart

Nuffy

Bench
and he is obliged to stay in Newcastle for 2015 and play bloody football unless he does exercise the clause

Personally Id gladly see us pay $300k to be rid of him. I know he has had his issues but I just couldnt warm to the bloke and would be happy to not have to defend him any longer just because he plays for my club

I am dead against paying him a cent. Get a lawyer to show the club that he's entitled to it and then we'll talk other than that, he can go f**k himself.

If this is a plot to squeeze him into the Broncos, then I would happily agree if that meant we got Hannant and I would make that part of the settlement.

Knight Vision

First Grade
There's no way we should pay $300k to help broncos fit him under their cap, f**k that. Tell him how it is, if he goes he goes, no compensation, if he wants to take us to court to recover a non guaranteed 3rd party deal (which technically shouldn't involve the club anyway) then good luck to him, from there he has 2 options piss off or stay and play, tell him he'll be starting the year in NSW cup an has to earn his spot in the team, I guarantee you he'll exercise that clause quick smart

Agreed

The Broncos are making a mockery of the salary cap. The NRL are having a laugh letting them sign or register any contracts while under investigation. It is a farce. Bye bye Wayne and I hope it fails miserably.

Last edited:

Knight Vision

First Grade
The Broncos are making a mockery of the salary cap. The NRL are having a laugh letting them sign or register any contracts while under investigation. It is a farce. Bye bye Wayne and I hope it fails miserably.
They always have had a highly dubious interpretation of the salary cap. Not unlike the Roosters. Just look at their line up and tell me its not astounding those clubs are spending the same as say Canberra.

slotmachine

First Grade
hannant is off contract for 2015, the broncos have no say in where he plays. even if he was under contract, they can't force him to go anywhere as part of a player swap.

and the broncos players do get paid more than most clubs seeing as they get $1m+ per season in third party deals. that;s before milford rides into town (rumoured to be on $450k under the cap but will be paid over 1 million when third party is included).

And that's the benefit of being in a one team rugby league city. Until 3rd party rules change it will always be like this.

perverse

Referee
They need to cap these f**king 3rd party agreements to something like 30% of the total contract for any given player. If that deal for Milford is fair dinkum then it is a piss take of the highest order.

Joker's Wild

Coach
You see, what I dont get is these "3rd party deals" are supposed to have no link to the club yet the club seems to be able to bring them to the table when they negotiate with a player. How the f**k does that work?

Its suss as all hell

Latest posts