What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016/17 Premier League

Haffa

United fans celebrating because they finally won a trophy that has 'eluded' them for so long. Lol, it's because they used to be doing something right...
It was a trophy on offer I don't get the criticism. They're now the second English team to complete the set.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
It was a trophy on offer I don't get the criticism. They're now the second English team to complete the set.
Don't get the criticism either. I would've been celebrating if we had beaten Sevilla last season even if it didn't mean CL qualification. I'm sure plenty of LFC fans would've.

saint.nick

Coach

Don't get the criticism either. I would've been celebrating if we had beaten Sevilla last season even if it didn't mean CL qualification. I'm sure plenty of LFC fans would've.

"The set" is just a meaningless trophy collection glorified by Chelsea fans. I'm sure that Barcelona, Milan and Liverpool don't care that they haven't "completed the set".

Jack, with all due respect, the fact you would have been celebrating indicates how far the club had fallen in recent years. Sure, I would have been happy, but within the next day or so I would have forgotten about it.

5 years ago, United fans would have laughed at this trophy even if it offered UCL qualification. Now they act like it's a long-awaited prize. Please, spare me.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
"The set" is just a meaningless trophy collection glorified by Chelsea fans. I'm sure that Barcelona, Milan and Liverpool don't care that they haven't "completed the set".

Jack, with all due respect, the fact you would have been celebrating indicates how far the club had fallen in recent years. Sure, I would have been happy, but within the next day or so I would have forgotten about it.

5 years ago, United fans would have laughed at this trophy even if it offered UCL qualification. Now they act like it's a long-awaited prize. Please, spare me.
Mate we won the uefa cup in 2001 and I was cheering, a trophy is a trophy and that's what clubs play for. I want to see us win every trophy we play for even if it isn't the champions league trophy.

saint.nick

Coach
Mate we won the uefa cup in 2001 and I was cheering, a trophy is a trophy and that's what clubs play for. I want to see us win every trophy we play for even if it isn't the champions league trophy.
I can't agree, I hate this "a trophy is a trophy" rhetoric. I mean, yeah, so? It's not like every trophy is a massive achievement. United's EL trophy represents underachieving in the league last year, underachieving in the league this year, and scraping past minnow European teams. That doesn't impress me, and arguing 'but it's a trophy' is just trying to polish a turd. Only a few years ago Mourinho mocked Rafa for winning the EL and said he wouldn't want to win it.

I mean, if Pochettino knew that 2nd was the highest he'd finish this season, and that there was a great chance of that happening, he still would have chosen placing a trophyless second over winning the Europa League. That's why I find it funny when so many United fans reckon their season has been more successful than Spurs, 'because we won trophies'. STFU, coming second in the EPL is a far bigger achievement than winning the league cup and EL.

Haffa

What a crazy argument. Having won every European Trophy on offer is something to be immensely proud of. It's not something Chelsea created Bayern and Ajax both celebrate it.

Winning a European Trophy regardless of whatever one it is should be cherished. There are so few opportunities to win things these days. I don't agree with throwing the league to prioritise it but throwing the EL to concentrate on qualifying for the top 4 is just as stupid.

saint.nick

Coach
What a crazy argument. Having won every European Trophy on offer is something to be immensely proud of. It's not something Chelsea created Bayern and Ajax both celebrate it.

Winning a European Trophy regardless of whatever one it is should be cherished. There are so few opportunities to win things these days. I don't agree with throwing the league to prioritise it but throwing the EL to concentrate on qualifying for the top 4 is just as stupid.

I'm sorry but I don't believe your argument is that in touch with actual reality. If you're Man United, one of the most expensive teams in the world, what the hell is there to cherish about scraping past much smaller European teams? The fact you won a physical object out of it?

Haffa

What are you saying they should have thrown it like tinpot Spurs did? Manchester United are in a down cycle. They'll be back within the next few years and who knows this could be the trophy they need to lift them. To say they've beaten all minnows is a little unfair when you look at the teams who competed in the tournament.

Are we really all the the point where every trophy except for the league and CL can be dismissed?

I've always taken some pride in the fact that we've pretty much always tried to win every trophy on offer and Jose set the standard for that with chelsea

Attempt to Win everything on offer creating a winning mentality while losing a few games going through a growth period or be happy with "putting pressure" on and finishing second while winning sweet FA for the second year in a row. I know what I'd prefer.

saint.nick

Coach
What are you saying they should have thrown it like tinpot Spurs did? Manchester United are in a down cycle. They'll be back within the next few years and who knows this could be the trophy they need to lift them. To say they've beaten all minnows is a little unfair when you look at the teams who competed in the tournament.

Are we really all the the point where every trophy except for the league and CL can be dismissed?

I've always taken some pride in the fact that we've pretty much always tried to win every trophy on offer and Jose set the standard for that with chelsea

Attempt to Win everything on offer creating a winning mentality while losing a few games going through a growth period or be happy with "putting pressure" on and finishing second while winning sweet FA for the second year in a row. I know what I'd prefer.

- No? Of course they shouldn't have thrown it, that was their last hope of Champions League. But it doesn't mean they should cherish it either. This is Manchester United, not your Sevillas and Shakhtars.

- It's not unfair at all. I just took a look at the last 32 of the Europa League and couldn't see many impressive teams there. Maybe Roma. That's it - and it looks like they threw the competition to focus on solidifying their league campaign. United scraped past the likes of Rostov, Celta Vigo and Anderlecht. Again, explain to me how that is something to cherish? That 'down cycle' stuff is just an excuse. Not many clubs on a down cycle can afford the most expensive player in the world. They were meant to challenge for the league this year, not be on a down cycle.

- How the hell are Spurs a tinpot club for throwing the EL so they could finish as high as possible? Coming second is far more impressive than winning the EL amongst shit competitors. The league is the bread and butter. You place far too much value in metal objects that don't represent considerable achievement. Coming second in the EPL is far more impressive than getting lucky against Southampton and arsing your way through Tdsfedwd FC in the EL.

- We've always been at that point! After Liverpool won their 'treble' in 2001, United fans unfurled a banner saying 'mickey mouse treble'! "But it's a trophy" is a weak argument.

- No he didn't, he used to diss the Europa League and subtly mocked Benitez for winning it. If Mourinho was juggling a close title race at Chelsea and Europa League, you seriously don't think he'd just throw the Europa League?

- 'Growth period'...jesus. I swear sometimes you sound like a United fan in disguise, you're doing a mighty fine spin job for them today. Spurs are the 6th richest top 6 team (by a fair way) yet in the last few seasons have placed 3rd and 2nd. I'd be far happier with that than have my mega rich team spend 150m pounds in one window, buy the world's most expensive player, and have 6th place to show for it. All United did this season was win a mickey mouse cup and a UCL qualification trophy.

Mong

Post Whore
Come on Nick, you're way off the mark.

Yes Man U have fallen from where they were but they made the most of it and won what was put in front of them..

The fans have celebrated and enjoyed it and rightly so.

Mong

Post Whore
Married footballer sleeps with single woman. Mrs Terry is really the only person who should care. I don't condone it if true but these people live in a different world.

Wowsers...

There's a flimsy excuse if ever i saw one.

saint.nick

Coach
Come on Nick, you're way off the mark.

Yes Man U have fallen from where they were but they made the most of it and won what was put in front of them..

The fans have celebrated and enjoyed it and rightly so.
The fans can enjoy it all they want, but it just indicates how far their standards have fallen. This is the same fanbase that mocked Liverpool supporters for celebrating the UEFA Cup. They are turning into literally everything they've mocked us for. And to say that means their season is more successful than Spurs' or even Liverpool's is just rubbish. Liverpool and Spurs had the quality and endurance - despite a lower budget - to finish in the top 4 amongst tough competition. All United did was win an easy trophy to salvage their season. "But we won silverware" is a meaningless argument. Teams don't play for silverware, they play for success.

Mong

Post Whore
Oh

I see your motivation here..

As an impartial looking in from the outside I have a very different view it seems.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
The fans can enjoy it all they want, but it just indicates how far their standards have fallen. This is the same fanbase that mocked Liverpool supporters for celebrating the UEFA Cup. They are turning into literally everything they've mocked us for. And to say that means their season is more successful than Spurs' or even Liverpool's is just rubbish. Liverpool and Spurs had the quality and endurance - despite a lower budget - to finish in the top 4 amongst tough competition. All United did was win an easy trophy to salvage their season. "But we won silverware" is a meaningless argument. Teams don't play for silverware, they play for success.
How is winning a tournament not success? Since when is the only measure of success winning the champions league and/or a league title?

saint.nick

Coach
How is winning a tournament not success? Since when is the only measure of success winning the champions league and/or a league title?
Is beating European minnows really a success for a club like Man United? Hardly. Looking at the bigger picture, it's just a trophy to congratulate them on making the Champions League. The way you measure success is all relative.

Last edited: