What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 dark horse?

legend

Coach
Who does everyone think will emerge as a serious contender this year?

Oakland and Jacksonville are the obvious picks but I'm going with Minnesota. IMO, they win the North in a solid but not ultra tough division. Treadwell will be a big addition for the Vikes and with an already stout D, they'll have a great year IMO.

I hope they do well!

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
On the NFC side I think it will still come down to Cardinals/Panthers/Seahawks. TBH I can't see anyone else bridging the gap outside of the Vikings and even then I don't think it will be enough.

Having said that the NFC East is the most interesting to me from a neutral POV. Eagles/Giants made some big changes, Redskins emerged last year and there's no doubting what the Cowboys can do if Romo stays healthy and with the addition of Elliott behind the offensive line. Complete lottery, but maybe this year for the right reasons.

AFC to me is wide open. Outside of Raiders/Jaguars (especially if jack is healthy) having built impressively through free agency and the draft I'm curious to see how the Jets go if they can resolve this QB stand off.

Colts/Ravens will be interesting to watch too. Don't see either of them as contenders, but having Luck/Flacco on the field will make them a lot more dangerous than last season.

Vikings/Raiders are my dark horses for the NFC/AFC at this early stage. I think both are building nicely. Jaguars are a playoff threat but still a year, maybe 2 away from potential contender IMO.

zombie jesus

Staff member
The Cowboys, the division is a bag of mixed nuts, if Romo, Elliott and Bryant are healthy then they could go on a little run. They might rue not picking up an instant contributor though over Jaylon Smith.

I think the Packers bounce back with Nelson returning to thwart the Vikings.

Jags are another year away from really causing headaches but it's a weak division so they could get to the playoffs.

The Raiders are genuine and will get to at least #2 in the division, KC will slip.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I don't think they're gonna win it or anything, but Titans Mariota/Murray could surprise. Weren't the worst team defensively, ranked at 12th total yards.

gronkathon

First Grade
My dark horses would be the Giants & Jaguars.

Both had a really good off season and draft and could really string it together

Shorty

Staff member
Titans had a fantastic draft, they're either coming good this year or next.
Keeping an eye on the Bears and Raiders.

nick87

Coach
Pats, Indy, Steelers, Baltimore and Broncos on the AFC
Packers, Cardinals, Hawks, Panthers on the NFC

legend

Coach
I think Steelers for the AFC and Cardinals/Panthers for the NFC.

Pats will fade without Brady in the first four weeks. Not at all sold on Indy (which means they are certainties). Still like the Vikings.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I think Steelers for the AFC and Cardinals/Panthers for the NFC.

Pats will fade without Brady in the first four weeks. Not at all sold on Indy (which means they are certainties). Still like the Vikings.

Pats could very well go 2-2 in their first 4

I think it's insane to write them off

Everyone keeps saying Oakland and I should be excited. But after all these years of never doing anything, it's really hard for me to grasp that things are going to change. We've had great players come to our team only to be terrible in silver and black and then switch out and be good again (Randy Moss, Deangelo Hall), so I'm happy but cautious of being excited when it comes to our new signings.

My wildcards are Indy and St Louis.

Indy because Luck is a great qb that had a rough year. He can lead them back to the playoffs, especially in a questionable division.

St Louis have a great defense. Goff could be anything and Gurley will be in his 2nd year after an incredible rookie year.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Everyone keeps saying Oakland and I should be excited. But after all these years of never doing anything, it's really hard for me to grasp that things are going to change. We've had great players come to our team only to be terrible in silver and black and then switch out and be good again (Randy Moss, Deangelo Hall), so I'm happy but cautious of being excited when it comes to our new signings.

You sound like a Warriors supporter.

shiznit

Coach

My wildcards are Indy and St Louis.

Indy because Luck is a great qb that had a rough year. He can lead them back to the playoffs, especially in a questionable division.

St Louis have a great defense. Goff could be anything and Gurley will be in his 2nd year after an incredible rookie year.
Yup 100% agree on the Raiders... I worry about all the experts already locking us in to the playoffs...

I DO think we are in a better position for talent brought in to flourish as this time as we have been built the right way by Reggie McKenzie.

Where guys like Moss and Hall came into a completely different situation... With big al in charge.

As much heartache as Reggie Mac gave me early on... The job blowing it all up and building it from the ground up the right way has been nothing short of sensational...

I think we are built the right way now and guys coming in have a better chance to succeed.

Eelectrica

Referee
Steelers, Packers are my dark horses. Teams that had their season ripped apart with injury. Could happen again next season of course.
Thought maybe the Colts, but their RB situation doesn't look real good meaning Luck is going to cop another pounding having to throw 50+ times every game.