What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 RLWC - SF1 - AUS 54-6 FIJ @ Brisbane

Semi Final Result: AUS v FIJ

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Saxon

Bench
Good to note that Jarryd's God was there to help him this week. Invisible and ineffectual.

A bit like Hayne really...

Reactions: Vee

Saxon

Bench
Well done Valentine.

Admittedly he was on the end of a pretty good backline; but bigger names have played in better backlines and never scored 6. And they weren't all gimmies by any means.

Very impressive.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Watched the first twenty until it was obvious the ref was going to penalise Fiji out of the game.

No neutral refs is a major black mark on this tournament. They shouldn't bother really.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Uate At the end, makes the break, has another unmarked person to his right, doesn’t pass, gets tackled. If the Australians make that break, they pass to the outside person and Australia scores. Why is it So hard for teams to do this against Australia?!

Uate is a great winger playing centre. Gagai would have done the same thing.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Congratulations Australia. Just too good!
I thought there were some good signs from Fiji but I guess that's all you can look for with this sort of loss.
Viliame Kikau, Jake Saifiti and Vunakece were outstanding this world cup really given their club coaches a lot to think about.

U guys, Samoa and Lebanon have made this tournament. We should be thanking you and your people. Great stuff!

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Watched the first twenty until it was obvious the ref was going to penalise Fiji out of the game.

No neutral refs is a major black mark on this tournament. They shouldn't bother really.
I love LU, yeah the refs...

Fiji should have won, but those damn refs...

Just lol.

Grail

Juniors
I must admit that you were somewhat correct. My apologies, I will eat humble pie. I underestimated just how bad the Kiwis were. I now fear for Tonga as beating New Zealand means diddly.

It's all good. :)

NZ were bad, they're Tier 2 atm. However, Australia are just that good and that ruthless. Even if playing to the best of their ability, Fiji were always on a hiding vs them.

Vee

First Grade
Uate At the end, makes the break, has another unmarked person to his right, doesn’t pass, gets tackled. If the Australians make that break, they pass to the outside person and Australia scores. Why is it So hard for teams to do this against Australia?!
Uate is a winger without a passing game. If he was a better player he'd be playing for Oz rather than Fiji.

Golden point

Juniors
It's all good. :)

NZ were bad, they're Tier 2 atm. However, Australia are just that good and that ruthless. Even if playing to the best of their ability, Fiji were always on a hiding vs them.
Could have been closer if Australia were without Hayne, he got them in an attacking position 3 times in the first 10 minutes. After that their heads went down.
Fiji played their worst game an Australia played thier best.
Such a shame.

ed-grimley

Bench
Fiji tried to wrestle them in the play the ball for the first 20 minutes and the ref pinged them. Then he allowed the Roos to lye all over them for the next 60 minutes. Ah well, disappointing game, way to good.
I'll never complain about NRL refereeing again - the refereeing in this tournament has been biased, inept and stupid.

RoosTah

Juniors
People arguing the ref was biased are just kidding themselves... it played out like most matches - the ref is tough early on to instil some discipline and then eases off and allows a bit more leeway when the players stop taking the piss.

Frankly, for the first 15 minutes Fiji were taking the piss in the ruck and Hayne in particular was just plain stupid with some of his antics and the ref rightly hammered them for it.

But what this game showed was just how far behind NZ have fallen at the moment... with their spine they had no right to be as poor as they were last week with their attacking options and inability to generate opportunities or even repeat sets.

Compare that to Australia's kicking options last night - they were varied and strategically very well thought out to counter the Fijian rush defence. Ultimately, all I could think of was how lucky the kiwis were not to be there because I suspect Australia would have put 50 on them too.

One last thought - what the heck were the organisers thinking putting a game in Brisbane the same day as an Ashes test?

Latest posts