What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 RLWC - SF2 - TON 18-20 ENG @ Auckland

Semi Final Result: TON v ENG

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

TL-TON18.png

1. William Hopoate 2. Daniel Tupou 3. Michael Jennings 4. Konrad Hurrell 5. David Fusitua
6. Tuimoala Lolohea 7. Ata Hingano
8. Andrew Fifita 9. Siliva Havili 10. Sio Siua Taukeiaho 11. Manu Ma'u 12. Sika Manu 13. Jason Taumalolo

Interchange: 14. Sione Katoa 15. Peni Terepo 16. Tevita Pangai Junior 17. Ben Murdoch-Masila
18. Sam Moa 19. Manu Vatuvei 20. Joe Ofahengaue 21. Samisoni Langi

TL-ENG18.png

1. Gareth Widdop 2. Jermaine McGillvary 3. Kallum Watkins 4. John Bateman 5. Ryan Hall
6. Kevin Brown 7. Luke Gale
8. Chris Hill 9. Josh Hodgson 10. James Graham 11. Sam Burgess 12. Elliot Whitehead 13. Sean O'Loughlin

Interchange: 14. Alex Walmsley 15. Thomas Burgess 16. Ben Currie 17. James Roby
18. Jonny Lomax 19. Chris Heighington 20. Mark Percival 21. Scott Taylor

Match Officials
Referees: Matt Cecchin
Sideline Officials: Chris Butler, Robert Hicks
Video Referees: Ben Thaler​

Clifferd

Coach
I think Tonga can push England all the way but they showed against PNG they can be clinical when they want to be.

England 25
Tonga 12

The Great Dane

First Grade
I think this game will be a close one.

Both England and Tonga had tons of mistakes in them and weren't completing very well in my opinion, however I think that both are better then they showed this weekend, so it's a hard one to pick but as much as I want to say Tonga I reckon England has them.

roughyedspud

Coach
I think Tonga can push England all the way but they showed against PNG they can be clinical when they want to be.

England 25
Tonga 12

This...and its also the problem..being clinical when we want to be will get us across the line against Lebanon,France,png and dare I say Tonga...but we have to be clinical all the time to beat the aussies!

One of the most "insightful" things Bennett has said about us is we struggle with concentration,errors etc....cheers scoop...Stevie wonder could have told us that!

English Rose

Juniors
England win this. England played with a completion rate at about 50% and still managed to win by 30 points where as Tonga struggled agains the Lebonan side.

I'm under no illusions though, the Aussies in the final will be a bridge too far for us.

grouch

First Grade
Tonga appeare to be feeling the effects of that huge NZ game, they looked physically and mentally tired against Lebanon - as did NZ against Fiji. They've got a good 7 days to recover from that but will it be enough? England seem to be slowly warming to the task

SBD82

Coach
Tonga are playing with huge passion. That can be a problem as it's hard to sustain week in week out. Really showed against Lebanon.

If tonga come out firing they definitely have the players to beat England. Nobody has managed to stop taumololo so far, and if fifita can give him decent support (and hold the f**king ball) I see no reason to think that England will be able to stop him.

Tonga by 16.

LeedsStorm

Juniors
Tonga are playing with huge passion. That can be a problem as it's hard to sustain week in week out. Really showed against Lebanon.

If tonga come out firing they definitely have the players to beat England. Nobody has managed to stop taumololo so far, and if fifita can give him decent support (and hold the f**king ball) I see no reason to think that England will be able to stop him.

Tonga by 16.

If you back this you will make a lot of money. Currently 36/1

England have been scratchy but only in games they've won at a canter. If they match the discipline they showed vs Australia they win this.

Only worry, as every year is whether fatigue comes into play. Some players will be approaching their 40th game of the season and last break 13 months ago

Billythekid

First Grade
I think Tonga can win this but I'm tipping England. I think Tonga will come out strong but it won't be enough.

JasonE

Bench
I think some people are over rating this England team which Bennett has picked, Tonga will heavily mark the right of Watkins & McGilvary.
So where else do the points come ?
The likes of Bateman & Brown won’t worry Tonga at all and I think they have more points in them than this England team.

Golden point

Juniors
There's massive interest in this game.
Just not a lot of talking points.
Just before a million dollar coin flip not a word is spoken.
This game has us all eager with anticipation.
Just gunna have to wait and see.

The Partisan

England up in a close fought battle.

Will need to improve markedly on last week's performance and their pack has to stand up to the Tongans.