What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 SG Ball / Harold Matts Junior Rep News

siv

First Grade
This Saturday the Central Coast play South Sydney at Erskinville oval while the Newcastle Knights take on Manly in Toronto also on Saturday.
I know that the Coast side will be taken down to 30 players and that the Knights will also be cutting around 13 players.
Both squads are also resting between 8-10 players this weekend.

What time do matches start on Saturday at Erko ?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Are we actually 100% certain the Centurions are now the Roosters?

Yep my son and 8 of his team mates are currently in the squad while others from our Ourimbah side are with the Knights (3 players) and Manly (1 player).

Harold Matts trials; Souths over Central Coast 6 tries to 2 (3×20mins) and Manly over Newcastle 7 tries to 5 (4x20mins).
Looked like Souths full squad as they only had 25 players there, Coast rested 8 players and had one out injured.
1st 20 mins Souths 2-1
2nd 20 mins Souths 2-0
3rd 20 mins Souths 2-1
Newcastle rested their 9 contracted players three of which were Coast kids Bradman Best, Jaron Purcell and Mallie J Townsend

Last edited:
Reactions: siv

Timmah

Staff member
Yep my son and 8 of his team mates are currently in the squad while others from our Ourimbah side are with the Knights (3 players) and Manly (1 player).
Centurions have been managed/hosted etc by Roosters club for a few years now - are you saying this year they opted to also be Roosters?

Makes no sense IMO. Why not keep the Centurions branding?

siv

First Grade
Harold Matts trials; Souths over Central Coast 6 tries to 2 (3×20mins) and Manly over Newcastle 7 tries to 5 (4x20mins).
Looked like Souths full squad as they only had 25 players there, Coast rested 8 players and had one out injured.
Newcastle rested 9 players also.
Was there a SGBall trial today ?

Actually Souths had 30 players (so five still to cut). I left after the first 20 mins of the S.G.Ball with the Coast leading 1 try to 0.

Newcastle rested 9 players also.

Harold Matts

Yes your right the Knights did rest 9 players, The nine players rested were all contacted players and some very good players I must say, but the score in Harold Matthews cup was 7 tries - 2 or 3 Manly's way. The knights were dominant early but the last 2x 20min Manly played the strongest squad and ran away with the game. Some stand out performers for both Manly and the Knights will make for an interesting discussion come selection time,
I believe both Harold Mathews cup squads at Manly and Knights will be very strong come competition time.

SG Ball

Knights dominated the game winning 7-8 tries - 2 in a dominate performance and at the same time rested 7players. As with the Matthews cup and SG Ball squads you don't know what teams rested what players and if any teams will be bolstered with players that are currently training with there u20s squads.

Good luck to both teams.

Central coast v Souths I herd in SG Ball 1x 20 min CCoast 1 v Souths 0
2x 20min CCoast 0 v Souths 4
3x 20min CCoast 2 v Souths 1
These scores were relayed to me from a friend at the game and I don't not know if it is 100% correct but just passing on what I was informed, If anyone else knows any different please let me know. Thank you

Reactions: siv
Harold Matts

Yes your right the Knights did rest 9 players, The nine players rested were all contacted players and some very good players I must say, but the score in Harold Matthews cup was 7 tries - 2 or 3 Manly's way. The Knights were dominant early but the last 2x 20min Manly played the strongest squad and ran away with the game.

My info from the Newcastle v Manly game was also 2nd hand but we had a Newcastle parent who was relaying the scores as they happened earlier today and Maui Carroll (played for Newcastle today and is staying at my house 2nite) both said that Newcastle had scored 5 tries.

Last edited:
Newcastle are sending out their congratulations to players who have made their final squads today.
Three boys from our Ourimbah side have been accepted into their 2017 Harold Matts squad; John Connolly, Riley Meyn and Ben Olson.
Thats six Central Coast boys (possibly seven) in their final 25 man squad.

KAB

Juniors
Souths played the Centurions in a trial last year in matts and Ball with similar scores. In the comp rounds, Coast Matts where beaten , but in Ball the score was one of the highest of the year I think it was 78 nil.
Centurions are now called the CC Roosters - I hope they stick around, the coast has know been the Rip, the Storm, the Centurions before hand.
Ourimbah Magpie - your team has wealth of talent with all those boys now playing either on the Coast or at Newcastle or Manly, development fee will be good for the club. Especially for one of your boys who played Matts last year on the Coast.I think the Roosters want the local boys from going elsewhere but really don't think it's going to stop.

Thanks KAB, the CCRoosters Matts cut their squad down to 30 players 2nite with another 7 spots to be cut after this weekends three way trial against Cronulla and the West Coast Pirates.
Its a shame the Coast doesn't have its own NRL side as I have no doubt if the kids going to Newcastle, Manly etc stayed the Coast would certainly mount a strong challenge for the title.

Thanks KAB, the CCRoosters Matts cut their squad down to 30 players 2nite with another 7 spots to be cut after this weekends three way trial against Cronulla and the West Coast Pirates.
Its a shame the Coast doesn't have its own NRL side as I have no doubt if the kids going to Newcastle, Manly etc stayed the Coast would certainly mount a strong challenge for the title.

I think you hit the nail on the head there Magpie.
If the Coast did have their own NRL team they would most certainly be competitive.
But that is the Coast downfall and all the other clubs know it. The Central Coast is a rugby league breeding ground and has so much potential and that's why all the clubs swoop and take a lot of your players.

Tigers1986

Juniors
I find it disgusting that the NSWRL hasn't released the fixtures and the season starts in 3 weeks. Some people like filling in time until the NRL by watching the junior reps and need to plan where they're going.

Timmah

Staff member
I find it disgusting that the NSWRL hasn't released the fixtures and the season starts in 3 weeks. Some people like filling in time until the NRL by watching the junior reps and need to plan where they're going.
I find your impatience hilarious. The draw will be out when the NSWRL is able to release it.

If it bothers you that much I'm happy to confirm to you that all bar a small handful (5, maybe 6) fixtures in Ball, Matts and TG Cup are all being played on Saturdays, generally between 9:30am and 2pm. The only fixtures that take place outside the Sydney basin are the 2-3 games Newcastle host (Cessnock Sports Ground), Perth's Ball home games (Ken Allen Field in WA), and the CC Roosters games at Morry Breen Oval (which is only 2 or 3 from memory as well).

From there I think there's a handful of Sunday games, from memory Illawarra (WIN) hosting one and Norths (TG Milner) the rest. And Balmain look likely to play Friday night at Leichhardt in the last round.

As an aside,, the draw release is in line with previous seasons - last year they released a draw with only 1 or 2 times listed per round (as per the draft you see on the previous page) before Christmas. This time you're getting it later, but with every fixture locked in, which didn't happen til mid-January last year anyway.

Games this weekend + Times & Venues

Cronulla V Central Coast/West Coast Pirates @ Cronulla High School - 9.30am HM, 11.40am SG

Wests V Canterbury @ Hillier Oval - 11.30am HM, 1pm SG

Penrith V Parramatta @ Patrician Brothers Blacktown. 9.00am HM, 11am SG

St George V Sydney Roosters @ UOW Jubilee Stadium. 9.30am HM, 11am SG

Illawarra V North Sydney @ Ron Costello Oval. 9.30am HM, 11am SG

Latest posts