What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 SG Ball / Harold Matts Junior Rep News

Dino66

Juniors
In SGBall I think Parra, Cronulla, Illawarra and Souths will be weakened by players going to NYC/NRL and not playing in their own age division. Expect Easts to improve as they have knabbed a few good players from other districts. Dogs will be thereabouts, but seem to have their taper wrong and limp out at season's end with this group. If I had to put money on who made the final 4 I'd say Penrith, Balmain, Newcastle, Canberra.

Harold Matts' three way trial between Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks, Central Coast Roosters and West Coast Pirates;
1st 20 mins Pirates 3 tries to Sharks 1
2nd 20 mins Sharks v Pirates ?
3rd 20 mins Coast 2 tries to Pirates 1
4th 20 mins Coast 2 tries Sharks 2 tries
Final 20 mins Sharks 1 try to Coast 0
I heard that the Sharks rested 7 players (mostly backs). Coast will narrow their squad to 23 over the weekend.
Other Matts matches; The Knights smashed Canberra 10 tries to nil (Ourimbah boys Johnny Connolly and Benny Olson were amoung the try scorers).
Manly beat Group 11 14 tries to 1 at Caltex field Dubbo.

Last edited:

ashton

Juniors
Does anyone know the results of the Parramatta v Penrith junior rep trials played yesterday?

Does anyone know the results of the Parramatta v Penrith junior rep trials played yesterday?

Only from what i was informed. What age group did you want.? As Parra had their girls, u14s, u15s, Matts & Ball all playing

Parra Girls were beaten bye a much bigger Penrith team.

Parra u14s v Penrith was won bye Parra convincingly. Score unknown

Parra u15s v Penrith - Parra won 13 tries - 2

Parra Matts v Penrith - Parra won 7-8 tries - 2

Parra SG Ball v Penrith - Parra won 7 tries - 4

At the end of the day both teams still need to cut there squads as they both had at least 40 players each.
Would love to watch them play once they both finalise there squads. From what I was told Parra have a huge amount of year young in SG Ball above 25 players in their 40 man squad. Penrith looked like they had a stacked team & a second team.

Last edited:
The Central Coast Roosters have finalised their Harold Matthews squad, its still a pretty decent squad considering that nine players are playing elsewhere and two were ruled out injured.
Another thing is that the Central Coast side is 100% that, all from the Central Coast, I doubt any other Harold Matts side could say that.
These boys certainly should not be underestimated;
Ryan Jones (Ourimbah)
Kingi Callaghan (Ourimbah)
Josh Moffitt (Ourimbah)
Brock Laver (Ourimbah)
Jack Stringer (Ourimbah)
Max Mitchell (Ourimbah)
Aaron Commins (Wyong)
Adam Riding (Wyong)
Regan Clark (Wyong)
Harry Packham (Wyong)
Cody Boyle (Wyong)
Corey Fenning (Erina)
Tommy Anderson (Erina)
Oliver Clements (Erina)
Darby Elton (Erina)
Jordan Hood (Erina)
Morgan McWhirter (Erina)
Reece Piepers (Kincumber)
Ryan Shaw (Kincumber)
Kale Livesley (Kincumber)
Brad Verheyen (Woy Woy)
Taine Jacob (rugby union)
Ben Minnes (Toukley)
Logan Sipple (Berkeley Vale)
Suli Hakalo (Gosford)

Last edited:
The Central Coast Roosters have finalised their Harold Matthews squad, its still a pretty decent squad considering that nine players are playing elsewhere and two were ruled out injured.
Another thing is that the Central Coast side is 100% that, all from the Central Coast, I doubt any other Harold Matts side could say that.
Ryan Jones (Ourimbah)
Josh Moffitt (Ourimbah)
Brock Laver (Ourimbah)
Jack Stringer (Ourimbah)
Max Mitchell (Ourimbah)
Aaron Commins (Wyong)
Adam Riding (Wyong)
Regan Clark (Wyong)
Harry Packham (Wyong)
Cody Boyle (Wyong)
Corey Fenning (Erina)
Tommy Anderson (Erina)
Oliver Clements (Erina)
Darby Elton (Erina)
Jordan Hood (Erina)
Morgan McWhirter (Erina)
Ryan Shaw (Kincumber)
Brad Verheyen (Woy Woy)
Ben Minnes (Toukley)
Suli Hakalo (Gosford)

Who are the boys injured please.
Who are the players playing else where.?

Do you know the Coast SG Ball squad

All the best in the upcoming season

Ryan Jones (Ourimbah)
Josh Moffitt (Ourimbah)
Brock Laver (Ourimbah)
Jack Stringer (Ourimbah)
Max Mitchell (Ourimbah)
Aaron Commins (Wyong)
Adam Riding (Wyong)
Regan Clark (Wyong)
Harry Packham (Wyong)
Cody Boyle (Wyong)
Corey Fenning (Erina)
Tommy Anderson (Erina)
Oliver Clements (Erina)
Darby Elton (Erina)
Jordan Hood (Erina)
Morgan McWhirter (Erina)
Ryan Shaw (Kincumber)
Brad Verheyen (Woy Woy)
Ben Minnes (Toukley)
Suli Hakalo (Gosford)

I saw a few of their games last season and also their trial against Cronulla/Perth. They look to be a team who have improved on last season. Was impressed with Ryan Jones, he was massive in defence, I guess it comes from the experience from playing Matts last season. I was also impressed with their fullback. The bloke in the white head gear, didn't catch his name but he was very elusive on his feet and quite quick.

I reckon they will have a good season.

Who are the boys injured please.

Isaac Blackhall (Wyong) broken collar bone
Blaine Nelson (Ourimbah) dislocated shoulder

Who are the players playing else where.?

Newcastles Coast players;
John Connolly (Ourimbah)
Riley Meyn (Ourimbah)
Ben Olson (Ourimbah)
Jaron Purcell (Wyong)
Ricky Blake (Wyong)
Mallie J Townsend (Wyong)
Bradman Best (Woy Woy)

Manlys Coast players;
Keegan Turner (Ourimbah)
Jack Birt (formerly Kincumber played last season with Beacon Hill).

Do you know the Coast SG Ball squad ?

Not really, sorry but there would be quiet a few of last years Matts boys in there.

Ourimbah Magpie - your team has wealth of talent with all those boys now playing either on the Coast or at Newcastle or Manly, development fee will be good for the club. Especially for one of your boys who played Matts last year on the Coast.

Just found out that clubs don't get a development fee until the players have played the level under NRL whether that is NSW Cup or Holden Cup who knows ?.
Chances of any of then getting to that level are very slim.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Draws out at 10am HMatts and 12pm Ball tomorrow respectively.

Tarsha Gale Cup (Women's comp) will be out at 11am.

Reactions: siv

siv

First Grade
Just found out that clubs don't get a development fee until the players have played the level under NRL whether that is NSW Cup or Holden Cup who knows ?.
Chances of any of then getting to that level are very slim.

How much do the local clubs get ?

KAB

Juniors
I believe that the local club will receive an development fee if the player is playing out of the area. Eg if a player goes to let say Manly, Manly will need to pay that development to the district if they have been put on a quarantine list, in the case of the Coast it generally if they have played in their country championship team u15, under 14.

I think it's roughly $2000 to $4000

But it could have changed
White head gear
Corey Fenning - yes very strong and quick I can see other clubs circling , Ryan jones will be second year Matts no frills operator good work ethic

MyRoots

Juniors
The plan to bring in the rule for players wanting to represent another district other than there own - eg like a coast player going to knights or manly they should only be allowed to play in that chosen area in regular competition. When this rule is put in place the matts and ball competition is unknown

Spoke to a few contacts at various clubs tonight. Apart from the bulldogs most if not all clubs have finalised the playing rosters for 2017 season. Interesting fact with the amount of SG Ball players representing there clubs and playing in the SG Ball competition a year young.

Each Squads are made up of 25 players

Coast 7 players a year young.
Manly 6 players a year young
Parra 17 players a year young
Penrith 5 players a year young
knights 7 players a year young
Dogs are yet to finalise there squads but currently have 9 players a year young

The plan to bring in the rule for players wanting to represent another district other than there own - eg like a coast player going to knights or manly they should only be allowed to play in that chosen area in regular competition. When this rule is put in place the matts and ball competition is unknown

MyRoots do you think its a great idea that players play in the area they represent.?

So if players are from the coast and decide they play for the kinghts, They must play in the Newcastle competition.?
Or if players from Newcastle decide they want to play for Coast then they must play in the Central Coast local competition.?

There are pro's and cons for both sides,

MyRoots

Juniors
MyRoots do you think its a great idea that players play in the area they represent.?

So if players are from the coast and decide they play for the kinghts, They must play in the Newcastle competition.?
Or if players from Newcastle decide they want to play for Coast then they must play in the Central Coast local competition.?

There are pro's and cons for both sides,
Yes absolutely at this age they should have to play regular games in there chosen rep zone, thats what builds the junior base to be competitive

MyRoots

Juniors
Spoke to a few contacts at various clubs tonight. Apart from the bulldogs most if not all clubs have finalised the playing rosters for 2017 season. Interesting fact with the amount of SG Ball players representing there clubs and playing in the SG Ball competition a year young.

Each Squads are made up of 25 players

Coast 7 players a year young.
Manly 6 players a year young
Parra 17 players a year young
Penrith 5 players a year young
knights 7 players a year young
Dogs are yet to finalise there squads but currently have 9 players a year young
Can you please post these squads

Latest posts