What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 BBL draw announced.

Timbo

Staff member
So the Stars have just announced where their unallocated match will be - Ted Summerton Reserve in Moe.

I’ve never heard of Moe, Ted Summerton or Ted Summerton Reserve in Moe. I’m a big fan of sharing the games around, but I think CA needs to be encouraging matches in places like Woollongong or Newcastle, not a postage stamp sized town of 16,000 ninety minutes from Melbourne.

Timbo

Staff member
Final few venues confirmed - Renegades taking two to Geelong, Tunder taking two to Canberra.

Hopefully CA nudges the Scorchers and the Sixers to do the same from next season. I’m actually amazed the Sixers decided to play them all at the SCG, they’ll do well to run last this season. An afternoon game against the Hurricanes in Newwy or the Gong seems pretty ideal IMO.

jargan83

Coach
I reckon the WACA are going to see what the crowds are line at Optus Stadium before committing to taking any games to any regional areas.

They took a couple of One Day Domestic games to Bunbury years ago but I don't know how many venues there would be capable of hosting such an event in country WA.

King hit

Coach
I reckon the WACA are going to see what the crowds are line at Optus Stadium before committing to taking any games to any regional areas.

They took a couple of One Day Domestic games to Bunbury years ago but I don't know how many venues there would be capable of hosting such an event in country WA.

Are Geraldton and Albany possibilties? It's unbelievable how far people travel to watch sport in Western Australia.

jargan83

Coach
Are Geraldton and Albany possibilties? It's unbelievable how far people travel to watch sport in Western Australia.

Possibly if they put up some temporary stands but it doesn't look like either town has much above a local club kind of a set up. I go down to Albany a few times a year, it's a great spot..

Last season most of the BBL games at the WACA sold out weeks ahead of the fixture, provided the Scorchers continue to do well I reckon they'll attract some huge crowds at Optus Stadium this year.

TIGER14

Bench
Final few venues confirmed - Renegades taking two to Geelong, Tunder taking two to Canberra.

Hopefully CA nudges the Scorchers and the Sixers to do the same from next season. I’m actually amazed the Sixers decided to play them all at the SCG, they’ll do well to run last this season. An afternoon game against the Hurricanes in Newwy or the Gong seems pretty ideal IMO.

Whoever is in charge of recruitment at the Sixers is lucky still have a job. Consistently the worst team on paper despite probably being the most attractive proposition for overseas players.

Timbo

Staff member
It’s a pretty different prospect this season for the Scorchers. Sure, they sold out a 20,000 capacity ground six times - but it’s now a seven match season, and their ground holds 60,000.

jargan83

Coach
Optus Stadium tracking towards a sell out for the Boxing Day game, and the game on the 5th of January is also selling very well already, that's before any real promotion as well.

If the Scorchers continue to win I don't see why they can't average 40k+ this season.

The challenge not just for the Scorchers but the whole competition is how to deal with the extra fixtures at the end of the fixture, especially the weeks worth of fixtures after school goes back. This year it felt like the BBL was starting to drag a bit, T20 fatigue was starting to set in, so Cricket Australia in their infinite wisdom extend the season!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
this crap is why we are so shit at real cricket, or at least one of the reasons

TheParraboy

Staff member
I think the novelty of the new Stadium in Perth will get the crowds high this year and possibly next before it dwindles. Hell I want to go to a game there and check it out, though would rather it a test match