What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

DC_fan

Coach
How far? Lol
Cronulla to allianz less than 30km. Such hardship!

PR, my point was it should have been played at either Cronulla or Penrith. Where at least one teams fans would not have had to travel that far, and the game would have drawn just as big a crowd and a better atmosphere with it.

DC_fan

Coach
How far did they have to travel?

From Penrith and Cronulla to Allianz Stadium. It is not like one team was located near the stadium. Though it really isn’t about the distance involved. It is more about the time taken to get there and back home after the game, and the different modes of transport needed, if you used public transport. Whilst if you drove, than dealing with all the other vehicles on the road as those people head out on a Friday night.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Something is to be said for the old days of guarenteed scheduling of the nrl finals ...

Back in the 90s it was a set schedule of games at sfs in September

This led to a lot of sporting and social clubs actually organising months out bus trips and social club events around the finals

I went to a lot back in the day .. with parents work functions etc ..

It didnt matter a shit who was playing .. the games all got 30k plus no matter what

North's v Newcastle got 35k ..

Brisbane v illawarra got 34k

It didn't matter who was playing ..

There were neutrals... We have killed the neutral fan in RL ..
The nrl had one advantage in the finals .

10,000 nuetrals at each game..

And they worked out a way to f**k that up

Genius
Let's go suburban finals for 5 years..

Really kill off the neutrals .. really grind them into Dirt.. hey if they die even better ..

Them 3 years later.. he lets go back to centralised stadiums...

Oh we only get 17k a game ..
so why did you fly to fly to Melboring to watch AFL and why have you never been to a Rugby League game?

unforgiven

Bench
Something is to be said for the old days of guarenteed scheduling of the nrl finals ...

Back in the 90s it was a set schedule of games at sfs in September

This led to a lot of sporting and social clubs actually organising months out bus trips and social club events around the finals

I went to a lot back in the day .. with parents work functions etc ..

It didnt matter a shit who was playing .. the games all got 30k plus no matter what

North's v Newcastle got 35k ..

Brisbane v illawarra got 34k

It didn't matter who was playing ..

There were neutrals... We have killed the neutral fan in RL ..
This is actually a really good point, I remember as a kid coming down from the country with my footy club to attend the major semi final every year. Lots of clubs used to do this but it would be impossible now.

taipan

Referee
Doesn't explain why the swans got 40K last week. I guess their fans all conveniently live right next to the stadium.

The bulk of the Swans fans live within close proximity.They have admitted most of their rusted ons are from the Eastern Suburbs,Inner Sydney and lower North Shore,all within spitting distance.
I doubt many would be from the outer Sydney reaches.

Swans Played on a Saturday arvo family friendly time and plenty of time for travel, compared to a Friday night.Not a real comparison
If the NRL game had been played at either Panthers or Sharks grounds, they would have got 19,000 easy peasy, but the overwhelming majority each club's own fans, few travelling ones.Just the way it is in Sydney.
And I might add will be the case ,until one can get to a destination with decent traffic infrastructure and scheduling.How many families were there last night? Not many.

TBH thought 20,000 max last night would be the figure.Doesn't mean I like having a half filled stadium.
The teams that qualify the highest ,should get the real home ground advantage.

TheFrog

Coach
The City of Penrith has a population of 196,000. Sutherland Shire has 218,000. I'm not dumb enough to assume that everyone in these places is a fan, but surely there's enough Sharks and Panthers fans that they could've at least hit 25k for a knockout final.
Lets see. You come from Jordan Springs to this game. Rather than battle peak hour traffic you take public transport. Match finishes 10pm. By the time you get out and either get a bus or walk to Central it is 11pm. Trains at that hour to Penrith are every half hour and take 80 mins. So its well after 12.30am when you are waiting at Penrith taxi stand for a taxi to Jordan Springs. You might make it home by 1.15am. You've got a couple of school aged kids.

I'm not surprised by the crowd figure at all.

TheFrog

Coach
Back in the 90s you mentioned those crowds, I mean the Brisbane Illawarra game got almost double tonight, a non Sydney game. I remember the big hype about the Raiders Bears match and everyone's second favourite team were the Bears but they still liked the Raiders.
These games were all played in the day time, on the weekend. Not on a Friday night.

Panthers vs Sharks wasn't an event people cared enough to go to. That's the problem, not Sydneys transport infrastructure.

They may have if it were played at an appropriate time and was not shown live, free and in HD on TV. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
Lets see. You come from Jordan Springs to this game. Rather than battle peak hour traffic you take public transport. Match finishes 10pm. By the time you get out and either get a bus or walk to Central it is 11pm. Trains at that hour to Penrith are every half hour and take 80 mins. So its well after 12.30am when you are waiting at Penrith taxi stand for a taxi to Jordan Springs. You might make it home by 1.15am. You've got a couple of school aged kids.

I'm not surprised by the crowd figure at all.

It should have been played on the weekend, preferably Sunday.

Springs09

Juniors
PR, my point was it should have been played at either Cronulla or Penrith. Where at least one teams fans would not have had to travel that far, and the game would have drawn just as big a crowd and a better atmosphere with it.

Right week 2 finals should be played at suburban grounds now

The year before we decided week 2 and 3 should be home finals we had Knights v Broncos get 22k at the SFS. Now we get people whinging that some all-Sydney finals should be played at suburban grounds because the clubs have f**k all fans.

If Cronulla, Penrith and Manly can't get 20k fans to support them in finals then f**k their home ground advantage. If it's Tigers v Eels week 2 finals would we say play it at Leichhardt? Of course not because there'd likely be 50k+ at ANZ.

Rooster8

Juniors
Wait wait wait I have an excuse, Vance joy played at hordern pavilion next to the SCG last night. That must be the reason for the low crowds! If he didn’t play there would of been 40K + easy.

jim_57

Staff member
Is there a clear cut criteria of what venues can/can't host finals games on what weeks? I can't seem to find anything concrete. I think it could work on a sliding scale of minimum capacity.

Week 1 - Minimum 20k - Rules out smaller suburban grounds, still allows larger venues like Penrith & maybe Shark Park to host only if they draw a non-sydney team.

Week 2 - Minimum 25k - ANZ, Allianz, WSS, Newcastle, Canberra, AAMI, Suncorp, Cbus, NQ, Mt Smart or Eden Park.

Prelims - Minimum 30k - ANZ, Allianz, Newcastle, AAMI, Suncorp, Eden Park (Maybe Townsville because of the 1400km distance to the nearest 30k+ stadium).

I'd be tempted to make prelims 40k but you'd be ruling out AAMI Park and handing money to AFL to host it at Etihad. Obviously a lot of venue selection would be case by case depending on expected crowd. The NRL would also need to get safety certificates and whatever else to get official capacities of venues to prove they can hold over 20k to stop Brookvale or Leichardt trying to BS their way to a week 1 final.

mave

Coach
Is there a clear cut criteria of what venues can/can't host finals games on what weeks? I can't seem to find anything concrete. I think it could work on a sliding scale of minimum capacity.

Week 1 - Minimum 20k - Rules out smaller suburban grounds, still allows larger venues like Penrith & maybe Shark Park to host only if they draw a non-sydney team.

Week 2 - Minimum 25k - ANZ, Allianz, WSS, Newcastle, Canberra, AAMI, Suncorp, Cbus, NQ, Mt Smart or Eden Park.

Prelims - Minimum 30k - ANZ, Allianz, Newcastle, AAMI, Suncorp, Eden Park (Maybe Townsville because of the 1400km distance to the nearest 30k+ stadium).

I'd be tempted to make prelims 40k but you'd be ruling out AAMI Park and handing money to AFL to host it at Etihad. Obviously a lot of venue selection would be case by case depending on expected crowd. The NRL would also need to get safety certificates and whatever else to get official capacities of venues to prove they can hold over 20k to stop Brookvale or Leichardt trying to BS their way to a week 1 final.

Another dolt that would prefer 11k at Allianz instead of 18k at Brookvale for a week 1 final.

I was under the impression the NRL made this central stadia rule more for the corporate factor anyway.
They couldn't give two hoots about crowd numbers.

jim_57

Staff member
Another dolt that would prefer 11k at Allianz instead of 18k at Brookvale for a week 1 final.

I was under the impression the NRL made this central stadia rule more for the corporate factor anyway.
They couldn't give two hoots about crowd numbers.

I'd prefer Manly not in the finals at all to be fair. Dolt, good one clod.

Latest posts