What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Finals Scheduling

Valheru

Coach
Only 3 rounds to go before finals so now seems as good a time as any to put in those always wrong predictions of who will play who, where and when during the first week of finals. I have used a combination of what I think will happen and what I hope to happen to maximise crowds/TV ratings.

Friday 8:00PM @ SFS
(2) Roosters VS (3) Souths - The SFS will be pumping for this one

Saturday 4:10 PM (6:10PM Local) @ Mt Smart
(6) Warriors VS (7) Dragons

Saturday 7:40PM @ AAMI
(1) Storm VS (4) Sharks

Sunday 4:10PM @ ANZ
(5) Panthers VS (8) Broncos

I am sure the NRL would love to see Brisbane host one and a sharks/dragons week 1 matchup would also be appealing but I don't see either happening. I think the above offers a pretty good outcome re: crowds with the only worry being the ANZ fixture.

Week 2 also looks pretty good if the above were to happen with warriors fans always turning up in numbers to finals games in Sydney and even if they lose Dragons vs Roosters/Souths should deliver crowd wise. On the other side any week 2 fixture in Melbourne would draw well and Sharks vs Panthers/Broncos should also do well at the SFS.

Having said all that, I will no doubt be lucky to get one of the above correct.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
Had a crack. Got Bris and WT both finishing on 28 points so F/A would come into it:

(1) Roosters v (4) Panthers
(2) Storm v (3) Rabbitohs
(5) Sharks v (8) Broncos/Tigers
(6) Dragons v (7) Warriors

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Problem with Penrith v Tigers is that it will be played at ANZ

yobbo84

First Grade
If it was a Roosters vs Souths prelim, but Roosters were the home team, where would the match be? Given it's "home region" for week 3 would be an interesting call from the NRL and one to ignite debate. Anyway getting way ahead of myself here.

Valheru

Coach
If it was a Roosters vs Souths prelim, but Roosters were the home team, where would the match be? Given it's "home region" for week 3 would be an interesting call from the NRL and one to ignite debate. Anyway getting way ahead of myself here.

It would be at ANZ.

When it was a chance of happening in 2013/14, the NRL said that in the event we hosts souths (or bulldogs or parra) in week 3 they would move it to ANZ

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
If Wests can jump Brizzie, [5] Penrith vs. [8] Wests could be a cracker.

As if the NRL will let Brisbane miss out though.

This sort of thing is why i want the NRL to go to conference-finals when they finally expand to 18/20 teams.

Imagine guaranteed derby matches every year spread across the country.

Conferences would follow something vaguely like: East Sydney, West Sydney, Queensland, Rest. So we would have week 1 and 2 matches at WWS/ANZ, SFS, Qld and NZ/Melbourne/etc.

Why do we sit and hope for this when we could build a system that guerentees this shit every year?

Raiderdave

First Grade
Had a crack. Got Bris and WT both finishing on 28 points so F/A would come into it:

(1) Roosters v (4) Panthers
(2) Storm v (3) Rabbitohs
(5) Sharks v (8) Broncos/Tigers
(6) Dragons v (7) Warriors

lets hope that doesn't happen
that lot there would be horrendous for crowds , borderline diabolical
18K for game 1
20K for game 2
30K for game 3 if its the Tigers , 20K if its the Broncos
18K for game 4

whilst the match ups are mouth watering , its a Sydney thing
they sadly can't be dragged out of their living rooms atm

Raiderdave

First Grade
Roosters 2 V Souths 3 .. 35K
Storm 1 V Warriors 4...….25K
Sharks 5 V Dragons 8......30K
Broncos 6 V Panthers 7.....40K

Tommy Smith

Referee
How is that a problem?

It's a Final match between two of the most hype/band wagony teams. Would draw 30,000/40,000 easy.
Penrith fans only travel for GFs and to see their meth dealer.

It'd be an average crowd. Probably about 25k.

Springs09

Juniors
I'd rather big week 3 crowds than week 1, what would be the best match-ups for week 3?

Souths v Dragons
Roosters v Tigers

or

Roosters v Dragons
Souths v Tigers

Obviously very unlikely Dragons or Tigers will get anywhere near week 3.

If I was to predict week 1:

1. Roosters v 4. Sharks
2. Souths v 3. Storm
5. Warriors v 8. Tigers
6. Panthers v 7. Dragons

If Tigers and Broncos maintain current form then Tigers should win next 2 and Broncos lose big next 2. But since when do NRL teams ever play to form.

Russell Coight

Juniors
I'd rather big week 3 crowds than week 1, what would be the best match-ups for week 3?

Souths v Dragons
Roosters v Tigers

or

Roosters v Dragons
Souths v Tigers

1. Roosters v 4. Sharks
2. Souths v 3. Storm
5. Warriors v 8. Tigers
6. Panthers v 7. Dragons

If Tigers and Broncos maintain current form then Tigers should win next 2 and Broncos lose big next 2. But since when do NRL teams ever play to form.

I think either of those all Sydney prelims would draw bumper crowds

Being realistic though, itd be a miracle if my team (tigers) got past week 1, stranger things have happened though I guess

2010Dragons

Bench
If my beloved Dragons stay in the 8.
The way they are playing even a Park footy team could beat them right now.
If they stay in the 8 whichever team plays them will win convincingly and go all the way to the Grand Final.

This Year?

Immortal
lol Saints aren't making the finals so whoever has them in there should be ashamed of themselves for giving us false hope.

Springs09

Juniors
I think either of those all Sydney prelims would draw bumper crowds

Being realistic though, itd be a miracle if my team (tigers) got past week 1, stranger things have happened though I guess

Any combination of Warriors, Panthers, Sharks and Tigers in elimination semis and it will be a coin toss to who gets through, as who knows which versions of those sides will show up. The only outlier is the Dragons who I can't see winning against anyone.

TheFrog

Coach
Broncos 6 V Panthers 7.....40K
A LOT of upsets needed to bring this about. Starting this Saturday at Penrith. The Panthers have 4 points and 88 F/A on the Broncos.

crowds with the only worry being the ANZ fixture.
Highly unlikely this would get a higher crowd at ANZ than Penrith. Penrith supporters boycott home finals at ANZ/Allianz because it aint a home final. Maybe things will be different when Parra is built but I doubt it. These are people who commute 5 days a week. Bugger doing it on the weekend as well, especially late at night.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee

Souths v Dragons
Roosters v Tigers

or

Roosters v Dragons
Souths v Tigers

1. Roosters v 4. Sharks
2. Souths v 3. Storm
5. Warriors v 8. Tigers
6. Panthers v 7. Dragons

Tigers v Dragons week 3 2010 finals crowd pulled about 20k more then Easts v Souths Week 3 2014 did

Proof that’s the 2 big Sydney Clubs right there