What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Forward Pack

TomRedVRiver

Bench
With all this talk about our backs and the uncertainty around positions, I thought i'd take a closer look at our imposing forward pack for 2018 -

8. Vaughan - Future NSW and Australian rep. Should have played for NSW in 2017.
9. McInnes - NSW next Hooker in my opinion. Offers more than Peats.
10. Graham - 44 time England representative, still in the top props in the game.
11. Frizell - Our best player. Will play for NSW and Australia for the next 5 years at least.
12. Sims/Host/Leilua - Any one of these guys will do an amazing job for us. Take your pick.
13. De Belin - Again, should have played for NSW in 2017. Has stepped his game up another level.

14. Ah Mau - One of the most underrated metre eaters in the comp
15. Sele - Fittler rates him as one of the best up and coming locks in the NRL.
16. Sims/Host/Leilua/Lawrie - Again... Take your pick.

That is a top 3 pack in the NRL without a shadow of a doubt. If I was Widdop and Hunt I would be salivating. Can't wait to see these blokes rip in this year. A few things however...
- Frizell HAS to play 80 minutes. We need our best player on the park for the whole game if possible. I couldn't stand those 15 minute bursts Mary had him playing in the middle playing at 100-miles and hour.. Such a waste. We need him on the edge running those lines off Hunt and chiming in in the middle when necessary. The left edge position is where we should be interchanging our second-rowers. Leave the right edge to Friz for 80.
- If Graham can stay on the park for 60-65 minutes that would be ideal. To have guys like Lawrie coming on with the experienced, passionate Graham still there would be great.
- McInnes needs a rest this year. His workload last year was intense and it was affecting his attacking game. Robson or Mann to come on to relieve him.
- Sele to come on and replace De Belin for the 15-20 minutes he's off the field.
- Leilua to come on as an impact player in the last 10 minutes of the half and continue on into the second half.

Last edited:

Overseas dragon

Juniors
With all this talk about our backs and the uncertainty around positions, I thought i'd take a closer look at our imposing forward pack for 2018 -

10. Graham - 44 time England representative, still in the top props in the game.
11. Frizell - Our best player. Will play for NSW and Australia for the next 5 years at least.
12. Sims/Host/Leilua - Any one of these guys will do an amazing job for us. Take your pick.
13. De Belin - Again, should have played for NSW in 2017. Has stepped his game up another level.

That is a top 3 pack in the NRL without a shadow of a doubt. If I was Widdop and Hunt I would be salivating. Can't wait to see these blokes rip in this year. A few things however...
- Frizell HAS to play 80 minutes. We need our best player on the park for the whole game if possible. I couldn't stand those 15 minute bursts Mary had him playing in the middle playing at 100-miles and hour.. Such a waste. We need him on the edge running those lines off Hunt and chiming in in the middle when necessary. The left edge position is where we should be interchanging our second-rowers. Leave the right edge to Friz for 80.
- If Graham can stay on the park for 60-65 minutes that would be ideal. To have guys like Lawrie coming on with the experienced, passionate Graham still there would be great.
- McInnes needs a rest this year. His workload last year was intense and it was affecting his attacking game. Robson or Mann to come on to relieve him.
- Sele to come on and replace De Belin for the 15-20 minutes he's off the field.
- Leilua to come on as an impact player in the last 10 minutes of the half and continue on into the second half.
Inspired even if half of this is correct the BIG RED Vvvv will be a force to be reckoned with ............hope the coach is on a similar tack ......

Crush

Coach
Not only do we have a gun forward pack we also have a backline full of Internationals!
Nene - International
Nighty - International
Lafai - International
Aitken - International

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Interesting that Vaughny said in the video on the Dragons website that Sims will be back row this year

Vaughan - "we have a nice mobile pack with Friz and Tariq in the back row there too"

So either Host, Sele or young Blocker will fill the other vacant front row spot.

possm

Coach

I'd like to see Sims as the fourth prop in the rotation and Host / Leilua sharing the vacant second row spot. I don't see Sele as a prop but as a good replacement lock if needed. Other variations would be to put De Belin up front as the 4 prop, Frizell as lock and Sims / Host / Leilua sharing the backrow duties. I feel that at some time in 2018, McInnes will need a rotation hooker on the bench and depending on Robson's progress in 2018, it will be either Nicholls or Robson.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I'd like to see Sims as the fourth prop in the rotation and Host / Leilua sharing the vacant second row spot. I don't see Sele as a prop but as a good replacement lock if needed. Other variations would be to put De Belin up front as the 4 prop, Frizell as lock and Sims / Host / Leilua sharing the backrow duties. I feel that at some time in 2018, McInnes will need a rotation hooker on the bench and depending on Robson's progress in 2018, it will be either Nicholls or Robson.
I too would keep Simms as one of our prop rotation. I would probably have him as our 3rd best prop. I also am keen to seen Leilua and Host get more game time too.

BennyV

Referee
Host needs to start on an edge. Left or right is dependant on Friz's preference, but he deserves the spot and if he doesnt get it, I can almost guarantee we'll lose him (other clubs have been sniffing around for some time). He should be playing 50ish minutes with Leilua subbing for some impact, and building his way to playing 80mins with Leilua working towards a roaming interchange role.

KiamaSaint

Coach
I also agree. I think Host showed enough last year to start in the second row and Leilua on the bench for impact with Sims and Ah Mau. This means very little is lost at anytime in the game.

Old Timer

Coach
A team full of Internationals! World beaters!
Considering the job Mc Fookknuckle has done with that star studded backline it must surely mean that Mc Fookknuckle will replace Smell Me Finger as National coach.
Hope Mal feels sick enough to stand down immediately.

blacksafake

First Grade

Agree TRVR, Especially your point re Frizell with his ten minute bursts last year.Drove me absolutely mad plus the fact we were using up 2/3 interchanges just on him alone.

Carlton

Juniors
Agree TRVR, Especially your point re Frizell with his ten minute bursts last year.Drove me absolutely mad plus the fact we were using up 2/3 interchanges just on him alone.

From what I am hearing, the thinking is that the secondrowers must play for 80 minutes for us to be competitive. If this is true ,then its from one extreme to the other and means there wont be an impact secondrower like Leilua on the bench.

Dragsters

First Grade
If that is the case, Sims can move from second row to prop in his 80min stint and Leilua can come on for his stint in the secondrow.

Surely if 80 min back rowers is the plan then this is the only realistic solution to maximise the potential of our available talent...

Gareth67

First Grade
The Dragons do have a good pack of forwards and will become an even better pack that will more than hold their own , as long as the younger players are given plenty of game time , week in - week out .

Mary must blood the Dragon youth this season and stick with them . They will undoubtedly make errors , but with Graham there now he will be able to have a bit of a steadying influence on them and point them in the right direction .

Also as many others have said , Leeson Ah Mau is indeed underrated and is a real workhorse and I am sure that he also will be guiding the young blokes .

I am with the rest of you gents , a far , far better season in 2018 for the Big Red V !

Last edited:

grouch

First Grade
Our pack is like an Imperial Star Destroyer.

Unfortunately the commander is like Inspector Clouseau

BennyV

Referee
From what I am hearing, the thinking is that the secondrowers must play for 80 minutes for us to be competitive. If this is true ,then its from one extreme to the other and means there wont be an impact secondrower like Leilua on the bench.
There are very few top teams who rotate their edge backrowers. Usually, the 8 interchanges get used between props, lock and hooker - i.e. The middle forwards - as their work rate is much higher due to facing off against bigger bodies and the bulk of the game being played in the middle. Between the physical fitness and physique of edge backrowers and their reduced work rate, they should be able to pump out 80 minutes.

IF you have an 80 minute hooker OR an 80 minute lock, then there is opportunity to use an impact edge backrower like Leilua with the spare interchange (best case is to have a utility who can fill hooker and lock like Dean Young, giving these guys a break AND saving potentially 2 interchanges - perfect role for someone like Havili) but ideally, Leilua should transition to an impact role suited to the middle of the park and combine the impact with the lock interchange.

Latest posts