What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 GF | PREMIERS - Roosters 21-6 Storm @ ANZ

Grand Final: Storm v Roosters

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Danish

Referee
When I was a kid the interest in the competition was in who would lose to St George in the Grand Final. The Dragons had a monopoly on the best players and while their fans loved it and they picked up a lot of new ones, looking back it was a period of stagnation for the game.

Now we've got this duopoly. 15 of the last 20 GF's have featured one of these teams. Even the Broncos can't get a look in. Remarkably, they've never played a decider before which gives it some interest for neutrals. No doubt they're the two best performed teams this year, one way or another, but I can't help thinking this is another period of stagnation for the game.

Thing is though it’s not like there aren’t clubs that have equal resources as the storm or roosters.

Brisbane are richer than the 2 clubs combined and have an entire state to pick juniors from.

Parramatta have never been short of a crust and have some of the strongest junior nurseries in their system.

Souths are owned by the richest bloke in Australia with also has huge business links, along with one of the most famous Aussie actors ever.

obviously it’s more than just money that is allowing us and the storm to thrive. Personally I think it comes down to our coaches, along with our front offices giving them the flexibility to run the squads their way

TheFrog

Coach
Personally I think it comes down to our coaches, along with our front offices giving them the flexibility to run the squads their way
Bellamy is pretty clearly the best in the business, and they've certainly got lucky or else they are very very good judges of cattle (or both) with some of the players they've brought in during their 21 seasons, and particularly under Bellamy. I think they reached their peak last year and are now on the way down. They were lucky to get such a banged up Sharks side.

The Roosters are different. Robbo is obviously a good coach, he's poised to win his second comp next week, so he must have something going for him, but it's some side he's got there, as it also was in 2013 when they were able to bring in SBW. I don't suggest they are cheating, what I think they are doing is legal but shouldn't be. It involves regularly having years like 2009 and 2016.

There's also the calls, which all year have favoured both of these sides. Why there is felt to be a need to do this is completely beyond me.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Bellamy is pretty clearly the best in the business, and they've certainly got lucky or else they are very very good judges of cattle (or both) with some of the players they've brought in during their 21 seasons, and particularly under Bellamy. I think they reached their peak last year and are now on the way down. They were lucky to get such a banged up Sharks side.

The Roosters are different. Robbo is obviously a good coach, he's poised to win his second comp next week, so he must have something going for him, but it's some side he's got there, as it also was in 2013 when they were able to bring in SBW. I don't suggest they are cheating, what I think they are doing is legal but shouldn't be. It involves regularly having years like 2009 and 2016.

There's also the calls, which all year have favoured both of these sides. Why there is felt to be a need to do this is completely beyond me.

Yep

Bellamy recruits reserve graders and turns them into Origin players

Robinson recruits current Internationals to go with the 14 he already has

Valheru

Coach
Thing is though it’s not like there aren’t clubs that have equal resources as the storm or roosters.

Brisbane are richer than the 2 clubs combined and have an entire state to pick juniors from.

Parramatta have never been short of a crust and have some of the strongest junior nurseries in their system.

Souths are owned by the richest bloke in Australia with also has huge business links, along with one of the most famous Aussie actors ever.

obviously it’s more than just money that is allowing us and the storm to thrive. Personally I think it comes down to our coaches, along with our front offices giving them the flexibility to run the squads their way

You know what they say, if you cant keep up with the best just tell yourself they are cheating.

Valheru

Coach

Genuinely interested as to which calls you think have benefited us this season?

We are the only team to have a player binned for foul play.... 3 times.

TheFrog

Coach
Genuinely interested as to which calls you think have benefited us this season?

We are the only team to have a player binned for foul play.... 3 times.
Refs refused to penalise Roosters when repeatedly offside last 5 minutes on their own line vs Tigers round 13. Roosters win 16-14.
Bunker awards try to O'Sullivan off clear knock on, Roosters then concede multiple penalties under attack on own line when 8 ahead, vs Titans Round 18. Roosters win 20-12.

Both these games lost by the better side. This is just off the top of my head.

Matt23

Staff member
I'd only just marginally prefer the Roosters to win...and hope that this is the last time these 2 play each other in a grand final for the forseeable future.

Last edited:

STORM.99/07

Bench
Storm v Roosters hey?

Sorry guys I'd really love to watch this game but unfortunately I have other very important things to do like staple my dick to my tongue and lick dirty windows this Sunday.

Enjoy.
clean the bottom of your bin while you are at it

Valheru

Coach
Refs refused to penalise Roosters when repeatedly offside last 5 minutes on their own line vs Tigers round 13. Roosters win 16-14.
Bunker awards try to O'Sullivan off clear knock on, Roosters then concede multiple penalties under attack on own line when 8 ahead, vs Titans Round 18. Roosters win 20-12.

Both these games lost by the better side. This is just off the top of my head.

We should have been penalised against wests but we have had it happen plenty of times to us. That still only ties the game up. Who knows what happens after that. Additionally we came up with 2 cracking try saving tackles so wests still had their chance.

The titians call was a bizarre one but again we have had it happen to us (see ANZAC Day). You are delusional if you think they were the better team, we were far better even with our origin players out.