What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 GF | PREMIERS - Roosters 21-6 Storm @ ANZ

Grand Final: Storm v Roosters

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This Year?

Immortal
It's the GF we all wanted.
That family club from the heart of AFL country, Melbourne, vs the pride of Sydney, Easts.
Cooper Cronk vs his old nemesis Cameron Smith, and up against Coopers sparkling ale protege Brodie "no thanks i only drink craft beer" Croft... Or will Coop play at all? Will easts send an S.O.S. to reserve grade half Mitchell Pearce, from the local intrust super premiership team The Newcastle Knights? I can't see it happening because Easts only have room for one Mitchell, and that's the powerhouse La' Trowel Mitchell.
Will this be the last time we see Billy Slater sliding with his legs into a tackle? Or will he sadly miss the game due to sliding with his shoulders into a tackle? #praythatheplays #itsnothisgo #justonemore
What about Cam Smith? Will he be the first player to scoop up both the Clive Churchill & Cheryl Churchill medal in both mens and womens finals? You'd have to back him.
I can't say who will win. I think the best thing we can hope for is a draw. #equality
I just know I've already won because I get to stay up late here in NZ and pour myself a hot Milo, flick on my overpriced Sky Sports package, on a quiet Sunday night, and witness one of the greatest Grand Finals ever.
sheldon-sarcasm-meme.jpg

This Year?

Immortal
When I was a kid the interest in the competition was in who would lose to St George in the Grand Final. The Dragons had a monopoly on the best players and while their fans loved it and they picked up a lot of new ones, looking back it was a period of stagnation for the game.

Now we've got this duopoly. 15 of the last 20 GF's have featured one of these teams. Even the Broncos can't get a look in. Remarkably, they've never played a decider before which gives it some interest for neutrals. No doubt they're the two best performed teams this year, one way or another, but I can't help thinking this is another period of stagnation for the game.

When there are sides that feature prominently for long periods like that it says either the rest of the clubs aren't being innovative or.....I don't want to get banned. I think there are many problems with the current game both on and off the field and think it's something that can be discussed in the off season,

This week I'm trying to enjoy everything that's good about the game.

Danish

Referee
Bellamy is pretty clearly the best in the business, and they've certainly got lucky or else they are very very good judges of cattle (or both) with some of the players they've brought in during their 21 seasons, and particularly under Bellamy. I think they reached their peak last year and are now on the way down. They were lucky to get such a banged up Sharks side.

The Roosters are different. Robbo is obviously a good coach, he's poised to win his second comp next week, so he must have something going for him, but it's some side he's got there, as it also was in 2013 when they were able to bring in SBW. I don't suggest they are cheating, what I think they are doing is legal but shouldn't be. It involves regularly having years like 2009 and 2016.

There's also the calls, which all year have favoured both of these sides. Why there is felt to be a need to do this is completely beyond me.

In 2013 the only internationals we bought In the GF squad were Jennings and SBW, and The Riff were paying the majority of Jennings contract while he was at the roosters. As soon as that ended we shipped him off to Parra.

I’m sure you’ll retroactively apply star factor to Maloney, but don’t forget he was playing reserve grade for the warriors in 2012.

Of the rest of our GF side that year, 9 debuted for us, 2 (JWH and Guerra) had played a handful of first grade games for another club, Sam Moa and Luke ODonnell had been brought back from the NRL scrap heap in England.... and the last one was Daniel f**king Mortimer.

In 2018, our team will consist of 2 x players purchased as established rep players in Teddy and Cronk.

It will then feature 11 debutants, 1 prop (SST) that played 1 game for the warriors before signing with us, a winger who no club wanted in fergo, a half that got fired by his old club in Keary, and lastly Zane f**king Tetevano.

Yes, we have quite a number of rep players in our squad. Very few of them are at that level before playing for us though, and plenty of other clubs have pillaged players from us once we get them to that level.

Tommy Smith

Referee
In 2013 the only internationals we bought In the GF squad were Jennings and SBW, and The Riff were paying the majority of Jennings contract while he was at the roosters. As soon as that ended we shipped him off to Parra.

I’m sure you’ll retroactively apply star factor to Maloney, but don’t forget he was playing reserve grade for the warriors in 2012.

Of the rest of our GF side that year, 9 debuted for us, 2 (JWH and Guerra) had played a handful of first grade games for another club, Sam Moa and Luke ODonnell had been brought back from the NRL scrap heap in England.... and the last one was Daniel f**king Mortimer.

In 2018, our team will consist of 2 x players purchased as established rep players in Teddy and Cronk.

It will then feature 11 debutants, 1 prop (SST) that played 1 game for the warriors before signing with us, a winger who no club wanted in fergo, a half that got fired by his old club in Keary, and lastly Zane f**king Tetevano.

Yes, we have quite a number of rep players in our squad. Very few of them are at that level before playing for us though, and plenty of other clubs have pillaged players from us once we get them to that level.
Take your facts and shove them up your ass!

Interestingly, despite our star hoarded team, we are in many people's eyes underdogs for a 3rd straight week.

Sterlo and Freddy were the only pundits tipping us vs Souths. Not many more were tipping us vs the Sharks. And no one is tipping us this week bar Freddy again who's biased.

We're just a bunch of overrated scrubs, tbh.

Guerra actually debuted with us so that helps prove your point.

We sign good juniors build them up within some of the best facilities and cultures in the game and when we have to we sign superstars we go into the market. At the expense of whoever we release for them.

Just like every other team, it’s just we utilise ours for success unlike most teams and their mediocrity.

Generalzod

Immortal
List of directives (Dont give a f**k)
(f**k U arse hole)
(f**k Billy Slater)
(Thank god I'm painting on Grand Final day)
(f**k the Storm)
(f**k the Rooster)
(f**k them Both I' buried those cockroaches)

Valheru

Coach

Let's not forget that the club was laughed at and derided by all and sundry in 2013 for the purchases of SBW, Maloney and Jennings as well as the appointment of Robbo. We were told SBW and Jennings were has been hacks, Maloney was a nobody and who the f**k is that Trent Robinson bloke?

Add to that everyone knew JWH was awful, Jake Friend?? (lol), Daniel Tupou was just tall, SKD? (Derp!!) and no team in history could win with Mitchell Pearce in the number 7.

Bottom 4 was a certainty.

By midway through that season our recruitment "just wasn't fair"

Valheru

Coach
Interestingly, despite our star hoarded team, we are in many people's eyes underdogs for a 3rd straight week.

Sterlo and Freddy were the only pundits tipping us vs Souths. Not many more were tipping us vs the Sharks. And no one is tipping us this week bar Freddy again who's biased.

We are a true Cinderella story. Not sure why there aren't more people getting behind us.

TheFrog

Coach
Will the wrestling be policed? Will a proper 10 metres be maintained?

The answers to these questions determine the result. Never has a GF had more scope to be decided by the whistle.

Latest posts