What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Grand Final Entertainment

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just curious carch, where you upset that Macklemore was making a statement, or that, like me, you just didn't know who the f**k he was and, like me, wished they had've chosen some act we knew of?

Personally I don't give a toss if they use the event to make a political statement, even if it's one I disagree with. Just don't sound like shit.

I'd prefer if they did away with the expensive pop show before hand and just had extra footy games on instead. I'd prefer a few back-to-back under 8's games etc.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I await the next music concert from *insert favorite worthless musician* where there is a football game during intermission.

Halftime is for pies and beer.

Such an American thing.

Willie Ray

Bench
If the NRL want fan engagement how about
an Angels cover band singing "Am I Ever Gonna See Your Face Again",
with a crowd of about 80,000 chanting back the refrain....
just for Billy.

T.S Quint

Coach
I await the next music concert from *insert favorite worthless musician* where there is a football game during intermission.

Such an American thing.

The GF entertainment is played before the game, not at halftime.

carcharias

Immortal
Just curious carch, where you upset that Macklemore was making a statement, or that, like me, you just didn't know who the f**k he was and, like me, wished they had've chosen some act we knew of?

Personally I don't give a toss if they use the event to make a political statement, even if it's one I disagree with. Just don't sound like shit.

I'd prefer if they did away with the expensive pop show before hand and just had extra footy games on instead. I'd prefer a few back-to-back under 8's games etc.

My issue isn’t the context of the statement.
I don’t give a shit who people f**k or marry .

My issue was (too me) Macklemore was more interested in making a statement than pleasing the audience.
This was in a direct comparison to The Killers performance.
That is where Timmah and a couple of others got themselves all upset .

I was comparing the 2 acts on the day.

The killers did a better job .

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal

Such an American thing.
The entertainment is Pregame and has been since about 1837

unforgiven

Bench

My issue was (too me) Macklemore was more interested in making a statement than pleasing the audience.

For many musicians their music is about the statement, I don't know Macklemore's music at all, but if he believes in an issue strongly enough to write and perform a song about it, then of course the performance is going to be about making a statement. There are many bands that have been booed by their own audiences because of the statements that make and content of their music and they continue to make those statements and play those songs because that is what they believe in. That belief is more important than pleasing their audience, and that's how it should be.

carcharias

Immortal
For many musicians their music is about the statement, I don't know Macklemore's music at all, but if he believes in an issue strongly enough to write and perform a song about it, then of course the performance is going to be about making a statement. There are many bands that have been booed by their own audiences because of the statements that make and content of their music and they continue to make those statements and play those songs because that is what they believe in. That belief is more important than pleasing their audience, and that's how it should be.

Yeah
So I am right when I said IMO he seemed more interested in making a statement than trying to entertain everyone at the ground.

It’s his call if he wants to start getting involved in other countries politics... I just don’t think a footy grand final is the time or place.

And like I’ve said ...The Killers did a better job in trying engage all people .

That is all I was saying all along.

Do you think Macklemore’s GF appearance was turned into a political statement or not?

On a personal level I thought it was quite boring to be honest.
Poor mans eminem .
If it wasn’t for all the bullshit leading up to it it would’ve gone down as one of the most unmemorable efforts ever.

no name

Coach
I loved Macklemore's performance and the only reason he became a statement was because of the conservatives make an issue in the lead up.

The song that was questioned is one of his most well known, so he was always going to sing it, statement or not.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member

Fair enough. So you think his focus on making a political statement was detrimental to his performance.

carcharias

Immortal
Fair enough. So you think his focus on making a political statement was detrimental to his performance.

I wouldn’t like an Aussie performing at the super bowl and preaching to them about gun control ( no matter how geniused the yanks are ) either.

To answer the question.
Well I didn’t think much of it.
White men rapping is not something I get into.
In fact I find it a bit shit
So I wouldn’t know if it made it better or worse.

I’m sure if he’d sung it at the Mardi gra it would’ve been unreal.
The perfect setting for it.

Last edited:

YoHadrian

Juniors
No wonder game entertainment & music in general is so fharking shit these days when it has to satisfy non musical criteria.

carcharias

Immortal
No wonder game entertainment & music in general is so fharking shit these days when it has to satisfy non musical criteria.
I hate to say it but Sambora doing living on a prayer was about as good as you’ll get it.
It went a long way to pleasing more people than not.

I thought cold chisel were good a few years ago.
I am by no means a massive fan of either BTW.

Old what her head doing that simply the best was probably good for the occasion.

I think I saw Lionel Ritchie do an AFL one a few years ago.
That looked awesome.
Everybody knew the songs.

Latest posts