What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Intrust Super Cup Finals Series

XXXX Cap

Juniors
2013 I’ll give you but that 2014 side was running up against guys who were a year or two away from dominating at Origin level.

I'm not saying it cost them the game that year but it was an example of how they lost it under pressure so many times.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
I reckon it will be close, should be a ripper.

You have a quality team in Redcliffe who have been solid all year up against a team with a lot of momentum in Easts. Teams winning knockout games in the first week of finals either have played their Grand Final then (e.g. Ipswich this year) or gain momentum and get better and better each week like Easts have (Wynnum did the same in 2011).

For whatever reason, Easts always seem to have 15 minutes a game where they play like champions then go flat again. You need to limit the damage when they are good. Burleigh didn't do that last week.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
2013 I’ll give you but that 2014 side was running up against guys who were a year or two away from dominating at Origin level.

Haffa, just looking at the programme from the 2014 GF and I think anyone would think in retrospect that Easts looks the stronger side on paper.

Pride, whilst they were a very good side that played well together, really only had Ethan Lowe and Kyle Feldt kick on at NRL level. Easts had Cameron Munster, Cody Walker, Felise Kaufusi, Kenny Bromwich and Hymel Hunt who have all played plenty of NRL or better.

Haffa

Haffa, just looking at the programme from the 2014 GF and I think anyone would think in retrospect that Easts looks the stronger side on paper.

Pride, whilst they were a very good side that played well together, really only had Ethan Lowe and Kyle Feldt kick on at NRL level. Easts had Cameron Munster, Cody Walker, Felise Kaufusi, Kenny Bromwich and Hymel Hunt who have all played plenty of NRL or better.
Fair enough I think I actually got my years mixed up. With Morgan etc. I just remember how good that pride side was and they ran away with the Competition proper.

expansionist

Juniors
Well I for one am very excited. Got a corporate suite for it, lots of Easts people going to show up (comparatively) and Easts have a strong side on paper.

In saying all of that, Redcliffe should be favourites.

Im also disappointed for Josh Ralph.. MOM performance gets them through and then gets dropped.. at least worthy of a bench spot IMHO

Go Tigers!

Who is going???????

The Partisan

Well I for one am very excited. Got a corporate suite for it, lots of Easts people going to show up (comparatively) and Easts have a strong side on paper.

In saying all of that, Redcliffe should be favourites.

Im also disappointed for Josh Ralph.. MOM performance gets them through and then gets dropped.. at least worthy of a bench spot IMHO

Go Tigers!

Who is going???????

I'll be there .....What time are you expecting us at the Corporate Suite ? :grin:

I’m pessimistic of our chances today. Sure Reddy finished on top but just in a pretty even competition this year.

Easts are a strong team and we wont win if our ball control is poor. I’m sure they’ll pepper the Dolphins’ back 3 with bombs because Fuller/Beehag/Hawkins arent exactly tall.

You cant keep making grand finals and losing forever. Eventually the tide will turn. Look at Redcliffe in 1994.

I just hope it ain’t today.

Woohoo!!! Premiers 2018!!!!

Though we had a decent lead in that second half, I didn't think we had in the bag until about 2 minutes to go.

Will comment further when I’ve rewatched the game.

Last edited:

Haffa

Easts looked dead on their feet 5 minutes after half time. As soon as Walters went off they were in trouble. Dropped balls and lazy defending. Kasiano was woeful.

Congrats, Redcliffe. Good crowd of 7.5k

XXXX Cap

Juniors
You're spot on, Their whole forward pack took three tackles to get back onside after a kick to their fullback five minutes after half time.

Kasiano must hold the record for making more Grand Final mistakes than the number of games he played for them in the season.

Thankfully, Redcliffe's inability to pick up kickoffs at least kept it an interesting contest for most of the game.

expansionist

Juniors
All in all Easts were very disappointing..

Firstly - I had some issues with the team selection and positional placements.. and I was proven absolutely right.

Josh Ralph on the bench would have meant a one for one swap for Walters.. however Easts lost Walters and Butterfield, and then this meant:

Drinkwater to 6
Port to 1
Ostwald to 9
Saeve to the wing
foward in the centres

completely negated their attack - saeve is a great centre, the most attacking centre in the comp for mine.. wasted on the wing.

Port had a very poor game (all in all)
Kasiano was poor
Kaufusi had a poor game by his excellent standards

anyway theres always next year

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Changed to the second verse halfway through, was a bit of a giggle.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
That was the sum total of the QRL's pre-game entertainment.

Couldn't even be bothered putting photos up of the retiring players, just a basic list of names.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Allowing the spectators on the field a few minutes after the match was a great idea though.

It was more fun back in 1975 when the spectators ran on the field before the game had finished and prevented the possibility of a match winning try from Redcliffe.

Best Grand Final of all that year.

Latest posts