What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Origin I - QLD 12-22 NSW @ MCG

Series: QLD v NSW

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

some11

Referee
The announcements of both teams just seems so f**king half assed.

If it were me in charge, I’d send both sets of selectors and coaches to a rural town in each respective state and do the announcement on a sunday night at 6:30pm. You don’t need the players there, let them celebrate their selections with their families. This gives some buzz to the towns, the media will send staff out, you know there will be a decent turnout by locals so it will be a bit of an event.

Do a live cross and announce the NSW fullback, QLD then announce their fullback. NSW name their right winger, QLD announce their left winger, so on and so on. Have a little break after 2 positions, let the studio hosts analyze the selections for a couple of minutes then back to the live crosses for the selections.

I just think you could make a really good hour or 90mins with decent ratings if you treat the announcent like a mini NFL draft along with some decent production (probably means only fox could give it the respect it deserves), teams also need to put it out there who their first choice is at each position. Players will rock up and do medicals the next day, if they fail, you have 4-5 extras that were announced on the Sunday night.
You've put too much thought into it mate, leaks from shitrag writers on twitter is all the rage these days.

some11

Referee
I think QLD supporters are in for a bit of a shock with how differently the side will perform without Smith, JT and Cronk.

For one I don't think Munster/Hunt have the kicking game to pressure NSW and McCullough doesn't run or kick enough as it is for the Broncos - he's not going to provide the composure Smith did when QLD were in the shit late in a game.

blaza88z

Coach
I think QLD supporters are in for a bit of a shock with how differently the side will perform without Smith, JT and Cronk.

For one I don't think Munster/Hunt have the kicking game to pressure NSW and McCullough doesn't run or kick enough as it is for the Broncos - he's not going to provide the composure Smith did when QLD were in the shit late in a game.

Under no illusions here, I remember like it was yesterday how shit we were that year Cronk was out for the series

Tommy Smith

Referee

Nailed it.

It'll be a massive on field culture shock - with the absence of Smith hitting home the hardest.

But all 3 are amongst the greatest kicking options in the opponents 20m zone in history. And they've been replaced by three players who have very limited attacking kicking games. That alone as you stated is a massive drop off.

Going forward Qld absolutely have the talent in Ponga, Munster, Taylor, Milford, Hunt and McCullogh; but for this series at least it'll be a huge shock playing without the genius and composure of those genuine legends.

So if NSW don't win this year they might as well just forfeit in future.

This Year?

Immortal
If NSW don't win this game and don't go on and win the series it will be the most epic fail in rugby league history.

Spot On

Coach
@ This Year?

Pretty hard to top the past 12 years bro. But I get what you are saying.

I'm sure all involved believe the same thing. Pressure is already on.

That's the burden and mental scar of being perennial losers.

And both sides know it.

Dave_

Juniors
Some major underestimation of the 2 head side here. They still have Slater and Inglis...2 absolute merkins at Origin level who will undoubtedly perform a few miracle plays between them.

The bad guys should still be favourites based solely on the last 10 years alone

t-ba

Post Whore
If NSW don't win this game and don't go on and win the series it will be the most epic fail in rugby league history.

1995 Origin says hi.

Weren't the 2001 Eels the most statistically dominant side in history by some ridiculous margin as well?

But yes, this would join the upper echelons of epic fail.

Dave_

Juniors
Everyone is quick to point out the fact that the good guys have a kicking game advantage but does it really matter how good your kicking game is when Slater is playing for the bad guys? There's no such thing as a good kicking game against him.

I also hope we start well because I worry about heads dropping if we get behind early....a lot of young blokes (and Maloney) out there who aren't great defenders. We don't have 2 Origin greats like the 2 heads do and we don't have a great leader out there. No one for NSW is proven at this level where as the mongs have those players like Gagai who go superhuman in Origin despite being some of the worst club footballers around.

I'm happy with the side but we need to be realistic. We'll be media and betting favourites but there's no chance we should be.

OldPanther

Coach
Everyone is quick to point out the fact that the good guys have a kicking game advantage but does it really matter how good your kicking game is when Slater is playing for the bad guys? There's no such thing as a good kicking game against him.

I also hope we start well because I worry about heads dropping if we get behind early....a lot of young blokes (and Maloney) out there who aren't great defenders. We don't have 2 Origin greats like the 2 heads do and we don't have a great leader out there. No one for NSW is proven at this level where as the mongs have those players like Gagai who go superhuman in Origin despite being some of the worst club footballers around.

I'm happy with the side but we need to be realistic. We'll be media and betting favourites but there's no chance we should be.

Make no mistake Maloney has a very high footy I.Q and is a leader. Watching him this year has been amazing. The work he does off the ball talking and directing is why we are top 4. Jimmy is at his premiership winning best because we gave him the money he wanted and NSW will get the rewards.

ed-grimley

Bench
Thanks for that "clarification".

I find it strange that some expat New South Welshmen abandon their Sydney and NSW SoO teams for the Queensland varieties. I witnessed that a lot when I lived in Bundaberg for eight years.

That would make me feel so dirty. It would be like flicking your hot looking missus for a skanky ice addicted hooker with only three teeth in her head.
Queenslanders have dreams too.

ed-grimley

Bench

How many have there been since Origin kicked off?

slamminsam246

Juniors
IMO:
Qld better backs (exp + defence)
Nsw better spine (kicking game + pressure handling)
Equal forwards
Nsw slightly better bench.

Intriguing battle. Heart QLD head NSW...

Latest posts