What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Panthers Season Review

Start of the year I said we'd easily make the 8 and then be no threat when it mattered. Pretty much right unfortunately

mxlegend99

Referee
Start of the year I said we'd easily make the 8 and then be no threat when it mattered. Pretty much right unfortunately
Well we did better in the finals then we should have with how our season was tracking.

1 point away from Sharks. Pretty good win over Warriors. Still a failure of a season considering we havent taken the next step yet. But at one point we looked like scraping in and being knocked out immediately.

If we dont take it in 2019 then I think we've missed our window completely.

OldPanther

Coach
Well we did better in the finals then we should have with how our season was tracking.

1 point away from Sharks. Pretty good win over Warriors. Still a failure of a season considering we havent taken the next step yet. But at one point we looked like scraping in and being knocked out immediately.

If we dont take it in 2019 then I think we've missed our window completely.

It was interesting that they hinted Griffin was fired over not resting players. That would of made a huge difference as well.

TheFrog

Coach
It was interesting that they hinted Griffin was fired over not resting players. That would of made a huge difference as well.
One of the things that contributed to the falling out with the chief, no doubt. The thing is, this is the call of the head coach not the GM and hindsight is a wonderful thing. Winning the Manly game might have got us into the top 4.

OldPanther

Coach
One of the things that contributed to the falling out with the chief, no doubt. The thing is, this is the call of the head coach not the GM and hindsight is a wonderful thing. Winning the Manly game might have got us into the top 4.

A guy with as much footy smarts as Gus wouldveseen the negative effect coming.

TheFrog

Coach
A guy with as much footy smarts as Gus wouldveseen the negative effect coming.
Footy smarts he might have, but smarts in managing a top level football club I'm not so sure. The fact that he keeps on banging on about it demonstrates to me that he's not terribly comfortable with what transpired, and the opportunity that was thereby lost in the view of so many of the club's stakeholders (obviously not all as Griffin had a solid rump of unpopularity). Right or wrong, if the GM is going to retain the right to overrule the head coach on team selection and interchange matters, that has to be spelt out up front, so the coach knows exactly what he's getting into. This was not the only time Gus brought his presence to bear on the coaching of the side, and very few coaches would have gladly accepted it.

The other thing that I don't agree with is that he says we did not deserve to win the 3 matches before Hook was sacked. We only won two of them in fact. The Raiders got 2 tries just before halftime, one against the run of play after it had been close for 30 minutes before we completely overran them in the second half. Manly conceded 4 tries in 6 minutes. The Titans game was after the coach was sacked.

He is trying to rewrite history. Why is he trying to rewrite history? Why does he keep using his media position to talk about this without the right of reply? Because what he's done (which he blamed on the board in fact, just like he's saying its the board and not him chasing Ivan Cleary) isn't sitting well with many of the club's stakeholders. He cannot lie straight in bed. This is why the likes of Rothfield are hounding him and I say good on 'em because he richly deserves it.

Last edited:

Fangs

Coach
Disappointing year in the end. We were on fire pre-origin. But had our injuries and had key players like Maloney playing busted. Bowed out of the competition losing a game we had won.

Keen to see what this club can do with a de-griffined off season. Expecting a lot more collaboration from other staff which should mean improved attack and a far better handling of the squad during the rep season.

betcats

Referee
Footy smarts he might have, but smarts in managing a top level football club I'm not so sure. The fact that he keeps on banging on about it demonstrates to me that he's not terribly comfortable with what transpired, and the opportunity that was thereby lost in the view of so many of the club's stakeholders (obviously not all as Griffin had a solid rump of unpopularity). Right or wrong, if the GM is going to retain the right to overrule the head coach on team selection and interchange matters, that has to be spelt out up front, so the coach knows exactly what he's getting into. This was not the only time Gus brought his presence to bear on the coaching of the side, and very few coaches would have gladly accepted it.

The other thing that I don't agree with is that he says we did not deserve to win the 3 matches before Hook was sacked. We only won two of them in fact. The Raiders got 2 tries just before halftime, one against the run of play after it had been close for 30 minutes before we completely overran them in the second half. Manly conceded 4 tries in 6 minutes. The Titans game was after the coach was sacked.

He is trying to rewrite history. Why is he trying to rewrite history? Why does he keep using his media position to talk about this without the right of reply? Because what he's done (which he blamed on the board in fact, just like he's saying its the board and not him chasing Ivan Cleary) isn't sitting well with many of the club's stakeholders. He cannot lie straight in bed. This is why the likes of Rothfield are hounding him and I say good on 'em because he richly deserves it.

Without right of reply lol first of all Hook went of fox sports and gave his own bullshit version of the story including rubbishing a lot of other peoples work and taking credit for it first, he started the war of words. Hook can reply whenever he wasnt the problem is no one gives a shit about him anymore and desperados like Buzz are hounding Gus because it sells papers, that's it. You are extremely delusional if you think Buzz is taking up some moral cause here lol how ridiculous.

Check your comment history and see the amount of times you rubbished Buzz and his rumours and now all of a sudden he is someone who can be taken seriously and is doing a good job because you agree with his agenda. Can you see how dumb that is Froggy?

OldPanther

Coach

Well it was a season review and not resting Maloney essentially ended our season. Makes sense to mention it. The fact Jimmy did play sounds like Gus wasn't interfering.

Rothfield is lying out his arse to do it half the time and people like you who have reasonable questions make him feel validated for his poor excuse for Journalism.

betcats

Referee
Well it was a season review and not resting Maloney essentially ended our season. Makes sense to mention it. The fact Jimmy did play sounds like Gus wasn't interfering.

Rothfield is lying out his arse to do it half the time and people like you who have reasonable questions make him feel validated for his poor excuse for Journalism.

Imaigne acting like Rothfield is some kind of champion of the truth. That's when you know you've lost your shit.

Fangs

Coach

All that may be true but Rothfield couldn't care less. He has a well known feud with Gus. Ever since Phil Gould was employed here we have received more bad press than I can ever recall.

It's not a conspiracy, buzz just doesn't like him.

TheFrog

Coach
Well it was a season review and not resting Maloney essentially ended our season.
Whether it was a mistake or not, and with hindsight it was, is not relevant. Griffin is gone. Gould remains and he is trying to rewrite history. If you look through these threads you'll see that most here agree his word cannot be trusted.

My feeling is that it is not to the advantage of the Panthers club to have someone running it who has such a huge media profile and is so prepared to use it to vindicate or take heat off himself.

OldPanther

Coach
Whether it was a mistake or not, and with hindsight it was, is not relevant. Griffin is gone. Gould remains and he is trying to rewrite history. If you look through these threads you'll see that most here agree his word cannot be trusted.

My feeling is that it is not to the advantage of the Panthers club to have someone running it who has such a huge media profile and is so prepared to use it to vindicate or take heat off himself.

That's all fair. Buzz is still a stain on the game who spoke a lot of crap in the recent article but people are giving it a pass because he had a sprinkling of something they agree with.

Kilkenny

Coach
Given injuries had a significant negative impact on our season I think we did fairly well. 6/10.

For me we never really played like a likely premiership contender and clearly we are still a few quality players short in key areas.

Latest posts