What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Panthers Season Review

Pilot house

Juniors
I think it was a 7 season all up before the hook crisis.

There was some good player development, but not consistent or as evenly spread as hoped.

Teams like Souths you see most players getting better and better as the season wears on even though they are carrying more injuries.

I don’t have the books handy but I think recruitment might have been stronger. I appreciate the massive talent in the catchment but at the same time, it’s good to choose your imports wisely.

Maloney was a good buy but as with benji and the next immortal, the older talented players start to have more ordinary games than they used to. Like a slow decline. A couple of exceptions here and there. But generally on a slide.

I liked frogs point that Gus may be inclined to avoid looking foolish at the clubs expense and the hook thing has exposed that. He might gamble that we have short memories, but when hook was signed Gus said he was the greatest coach in the world. He was gushing with praise. None of that was put to him during the recent crisis and he was careful about his wording during the Ivan approach. So it’s very political and all spin.

League is such an animal.

I am not sure cirro can take the club to the next level. Beyond that the planning is in Gus’s fancy and sadly, nobody else’s.

I think the post gus/roger era may be the best. Awesome club but needs officials talent.

Kilkenny

Coach
The season was a 6/10 because of our two inept home performances against the Sea Eagles and Knights late in the season.

We had everything to play for and those two losses were frankly dismal.

I could accept the big losses away to the Broncos & Warriors given they were on there game but we were pathetic at home against the two sides mentioned and there were no excuses for those performances.

franklin2323

Immortal
I think it was a 7 season all up before the hook crisis.

There was some good player development, but not consistent or as evenly spread as hoped.

Teams like Souths you see most players getting better and better as the season wears on even though they are carrying more injuries.

I don’t have the books handy but I think recruitment might have been stronger. I appreciate the massive talent in the catchment but at the same time, it’s good to choose your imports wisely.

Maloney was a good buy but as with benji and the next immortal, the older talented players start to have more ordinary games than they used to. Like a slow decline. A couple of exceptions here and there. But generally on a slide.

I liked frogs point that Gus may be inclined to avoid looking foolish at the clubs expense and the hook thing has exposed that. He might gamble that we have short memories, but when hook was signed Gus said he was the greatest coach in the world. He was gushing with praise. None of that was put to him during the recent crisis and he was careful about his wording during the Ivan approach. So it’s very political and all spin.

League is such an animal.

I am not sure cirro can take the club to the next level. Beyond that the planning is in Gus’s fancy and sadly, nobody else’s.

I think the post gus/roger era may be the best. Awesome club but needs officials talent.

Good post this

franklin2323

Immortal
Depends on the expectations to how you rate the year. I think early on we overachieved. We finished probably where we could be expected given the coaching, Injuries that went through

franklin2323

Immortal
It was interesting that they hinted Griffin was fired over not resting players. That would of made a huge difference as well.

I am not so sure. Given the other injuries at the time. Like that Canberra game. Luai was even unavailable we would of struggled to fill a team

franklin2323

Immortal
A fit Maloney wins the Sharks final.

See but say we drop that Raiders game. We end up playing Dragons not Warriors... No guarantee we win that and even are still going to play the Sharks.

Merrin wasn't an origin guy yet was probably a 2/10 for the year. Katoa a 4/10..So I can't blame the origin guys backing up for our issues

betcats

Referee
Not if he's still cannonballing and tackling players off the ball.

And this is our captain.....

Exactly. It was this shit that disappointed me the most and why I want him gone. He was constantly putting us under pressure with dumb f**k penalties.

He gave away the 7 tackle set against the sharks, then im sure it was his penalty that set and before you know it we are down 18 points thanks skip.

franklin2323

Immortal
I remember thinking at the time this was not a Gould decision. He even said on his podcast there was no chance anyone would back up.

Backing up after Origin should seriously be illegal.

That wasn't straight after SOO. That is no excuse for that poor effort no excuses for such a performance actually

Fangs

Coach
That wasn't straight after SOO. That is no excuse for that poor effort no excuses for such a performance actually

Regardless of the performance no player should back up from Origin in this day and age. It is absolutely brutal for players physically and emotionally.

They shouldn't be drinking beer after winning game 1 either. But somehow I don't think I'll stop that.

franklin2323

Immortal
Regardless of the performance no player should back up from Origin in this day and age. It is absolutely brutal for players physically and emotionally.

They shouldn't be drinking beer after winning game 1 either. But somehow I don't think I'll stop that.

It is a tough mix. Origin guys get you wins in the finals but you need to finish high enough up to be able to use them

Pilot house

Juniors
It’s a tough one.

The top four separated by one win from the balance of the eight.

Knife edge stuff, to use or not to use an origin player...

franklin2323

Immortal
It’s a tough one.

The top four separated by one win from the balance of the eight.

Knife edge stuff, to use or not to use an origin player...

Given who was out at the time I don't think we had the option to rest them against Canberra. Thankfully we took the hit against Sharks when we had guys back

We don't win if they don't play and we finish 8th and play the Broncs up there. Maybe we go out in week 1 of the finals so it's a tough one

Fangs

Coach
It is a tough mix. Origin guys get you wins in the finals but you need to finish high enough up to be able to use them

Until there is 3 stand alone origin games no one should back up. The game is just too physical (even a standard NRL march) and we now have even less interchanges.

Start and finish well, do your best in the middle of the year.

franklin2323

Immortal
Until there is 3 stand alone origin games no one should back up. The game is just too physical (even a standard NRL march) and we now have even less interchanges.

Start and finish well, do your best in the middle of the year.

Even then. Players wouldn't get back to clubs on the Monday... Someone has to play Thurs night if there is travel involved it is pretty much off one plane onto another.. It is just part of the game sadly

TheFrog

Coach
The season was a 6/10 because of our two inept home performances against the Sea Eagles and Knights late in the season.
Minor premiers if we win both those games. That's because all the other top 8 sides lost games against also-ran teams as well.

Pilot house

Juniors
Panthers year could be described as treacherous and disgusting so far as Wests are concerned.

Shameful and sickening.