What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 RLIF Grants

yakstorm

First Grade
Came across the 2018 Financial Report, which included the cash grants made for the FY2018. Thought it would be worth sharing as it is sure to create some interesting discussions around who does and doesn't get funds from the RLIF.
  • Australia - $14,500
  • Cook Islands - $21,500
  • England - $25,000
  • Fiji - $18,000
  • France - $25,000
  • Ireland - $12,505
  • Italy - $15,000
  • Jamaica - $25,000
  • Lebanon - $25,000
  • New Zealand (1) - $120,000
  • PNG (2) - $0
  • Russia (3) - $30,000
  • Samoa - $18,000
  • Scotland - $25,000
  • Serbia - $25,000
  • South Africa - $25,000
  • Tonga - $18,000
  • Ukraine - $25,000
  • Wales (2) - $0
  • Asia Pacific Rugby League (2) - $0
  • Rugby League European Federation - $180,000
(1) New Zealand received its full cash grant of $30,000 plus three years of prepayment.
(2) Amounts to groups per paid post year end
(3) Russia was given a $15,000 pre-payment to FY19

Grants are in AUD, and are purely what share of the members grant the nation was paid, does not include discretionary grants which are on top of.

Financials for the RLIF in FY18 were:
  • Profit: $16,762,158
  • Expenses:
    • Salary Related: $636,539
    • Development Grants: $1,855,000
    • Travel Expenses: $174,972
    • Other Tournament Expenses: $244,427
    • Broadcast Expenses: $10,468,925
    • Other Expenses: $360,501
  • Profit before Tax: $3,035,364
  • Net Profit: $2,122,579

NRLMad

Juniors
Do England and Australia really need a grant? I can forgive NZ as they don’t have a major comp themselves.
Why doesn’t New Zealand start a proper comp up again? Surely they’re would be interest?

langpark

First Grade
Agree, even worse though IMO is PNG, Wales and the APRLC didn’t get a cent between them!
Am pretty sure PNG receives significant funding from the NRL, rather than RLIF. And I have a feeling Wales may also get some from the RFL.

Pommy

Coach
Why doesn’t New Zealand start a proper comp up again? Surely they’re would be interest?

It’s always going to be in the shadow of the NRL.
Take the Scottish premier league as an example in the last 20 years it’s gone to the dogs because it’s got the EPL right on it’s door step.

langpark

First Grade
It’s always going to be in the shadow of the NRL.
Take the Scottish premier league as an example in the last 20 years it’s gone to the dogs because it’s got the EPL right on it’s door step.
The aim would never be to rival the NRL, but to act as something of a second-tier much like the Qld Cup and NSWRL. I think a nice little 8-team league would work really well there.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
The aim would never be to rival the NRL, but to act as something of a second-tier much like the Qld Cup and NSWRL. I think a nice little 8-team league would work really well there.

I'd love to see a NZ Cup to join QLD & NSW Cup one day as 2nd tier comps. May be unlikely but really it doesn't need to be anything too special commercially. Players are either paid to play game by game or paid by an NRL club they are signed to, other costs wouldn't need to be too much more than a local comp. Hopefully with a decent standard it could pick up a TV spot and a few decent sponsors.

South Auckland, North Auckland, Hamilton, Wellington, Christchurch, Rotorua, Dunedin, New Plymouth. Or something similar, keep it North Island + Christchurch to save costs if necessary.

Teams partnered with NRL clubs and 2 clubs linked with Tonga & Samoa to provide pathways to those nations.

langpark

First Grade
^ yeah exactly. There is no doubt they have the quantity and quality in players to do this, just look at how many Kiwis are playing at NRL and SL teams! Would be a great pathway, I don't believe it would be massive commercially, but I do believe it could definitely be viable, attract some corporate, TV and spectator interest.

TBH ,I'm surprised at times the RLIF makes money of any magnitude.
Tonga matches alone are contributing nicely to this. I think RLIF gets something like 10% of gate takings for all international matches now.

siv

First Grade
I'd love to see a NZ Cup to join QLD & NSW Cup one day as 2nd tier comps. May be unlikely but really it doesn't need to be anything too special commercially. Players are either paid to play game by game or paid by an NRL club they are signed to, other costs wouldn't need to be too much more than a local comp. Hopefully with a decent standard it could pick up a TV spot and a few decent sponsors.

South Auckland, North Auckland, Hamilton, Wellington, Christchurch, Rotorua, Dunedin, New Plymouth. Or something similar, keep it North Island + Christchurch to save costs if necessary.

Teams partnered with NRL clubs and 2 clubs linked with Tonga & Samoa to provide pathways to those nations.

Agree

But treat it as a expansion of the Auckland RL ala QLD Cup rather than a provisional league or country rep championship

jim_57

Staff member
^ yeah exactly. There is no doubt they have the quantity and quality in players to do this, just look at how many Kiwis are playing at NRL and SL teams! Would be a great pathway, I don't believe it would be massive commercially, but I do believe it could definitely be viable, attract some corporate, TV and spectator interest.

Tonga matches alone are contributing nicely to this. I think RLIF gets something like 10% of gate takings for all international matches now.

Agree, it's not like NSW & QLD Cup get huge crowds, sponsorship deals and have every game on TV.

To start you could always make it Auckland centric like siv suggested with a few outlier clubs to start then expand as viable.

siv

First Grade
Asia Pacific Rugby League (2) - $0

This concerns me that the RLIF seems to not support the APRLF

While we also see other issues where no Asia Pacific countries have Observer status

Almost as if everyone in AP thinks the NRL is world and regional governing body

roughyedspud

Coach

Tonga matches alone? Lol I think you'll find that England games are the biggest contributors to the IRL gate levy..

Latest posts