What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Salary Cap information, including NRL Development List

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Hay Guys!

Looks like there is something official about minimum salaries and shit for next year. Feast your eyes (but f**k them too) on this:

https://www.nrl.com/operations/the-game/the-salary-cap/

Interesting bits:
$9.1 million – base salary cap for the Top 30 players. At least 24 Top 30 players must be contracted by 1 November, 29 Top 30 players by 1 March and 30 Top 30 players by 30 June.
So we need to sign/upgrade a player by March, and then grab another by the end of June.
$0.2 million – Veteran and Developed Player Allowance for eligible players who were either developed by the Club prior to becoming NRL players and / or have been a Top 30 player for at least 8 years at the Club or have been a Top 30 player for at least 10 years across the game
f**k all for developing your own players, as usual. I suppose to make it fair they would have to announce any significant increases years in advance to allow clubs to plan for it.
Players can earn unlimited amounts from corporate sponsors who are not associated with the club and who do not use the game's intellectual property (no club logos, jerseys or emblems) provided these are pre-approved by both a Player’s Club and the NRL. These agreements may not be negotiated by the club as an incentive for a player to sign a contract, nor can they be guaranteed by the club.
lol
Tertiary education fees, approved traineeships, medical insurance costs, relocation/temporary accommodation costs are not included in the cap but must be approved
Fair enough
Win bonuses and appearance fees – Payments for appearing in or winning a game are calculated based on the number of NRL games the player played in the prior year multiplied by any applicable bonuses. For win bonuses, the calculation is capped at 13 wins. Example: A player appeared in 10 NRL games in 2017 and now has a 2018 Contract for $100,000 contract fee plus $1,000 per game. His - Salary Cap Value would be $100,000 plus 10 times $1000 = $110,000.
No change but half you merkins still won't understand what this means.
Other bonuses – Any other bonus contained in a player's contract will be calculated in the Salary Cap if the NRL Salary Cap Auditor expects him to achieve the bonus based on his prior year's performance.

Example: A player played State of Origin in 2017. His 2018 Contract includes a $20,000 State of Origin bonus. This bonus will be included in the player's 2018 Salary Cap Value.

Note: Where a bonus is achieved by a player but was not assessed in the player's Salary Cap Value, the bonus is carried forward and calculated in the player's Salary Cap Value for the following year.
To avoid the more obvious rorts not involving TPAs
Min. Top 30 fee of $100,000 for players 1-26 in 2018 increasing at $5,000 p.a until 2022
$70,000 for players 27-30 in 2018 increasing at $2,500 p.a until 2022
Replacement of the NRL second tier with the NRL Development List where players will be entitled to $60,000 p.a.
My guess is this means clubs will still use up to 30 players in a season without issue, yet if anyone outside of that group must play then special dispensation is required. This is exactly how it was run in the past, except that players 26-30 were previously included under the second tier cap (now they are part of the top 30) and players 31+ were part of the second tier squad but required dispensation to play due to a full second tier cap (i.e. injuries to many of the top 25 + top 5 second tier players). Now the dispensation players from the second tier (previously the second tier squad minus the top five second tier players) are called the NRL Development List.

I have heard from a couple of sources that there is no upper age limit to the Development List. They are basically no different from the second tier players not expected to play NRL in any given year.

You're welcome.

Last edited:

Chipmunk

Coach
My guess is this means clubs will still use up to 30 players in a season without issue, yet if anyone outside of that group must play then special dispensation is required. This is exactly how it was run in the past, except that players 26-30 were previously included under the second tier cap (now they are part of the top 30) and players 31+ were part of the second tier squad but required dispensation to play due to a full second tier cap (i.e. injuries to many of the top 25 + top 5 second tier players). Now the dispensation players from the second tier (previously the second tier squad minus the top five second tier players) are called the NRL Development List.

I have heard from a couple of sources that there is no upper age limit to the Development List. They are basically no different from the second tier players not expected to play NRL in any given year.

Although, this is probably the biggest change for our club. In the past we've run 40 players and basically chosen 6 of the 15 outside the Top 25 as the season went along to add to our NRL team. Now, we're pretty much committed to a specific 4 at least above the old Top 25 and we will leave a spot open for someone that might come along or we must upgrade one of the Development Players.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Although, this is probably the biggest change for our club. In the past we've run 40 players and basically chosen 6 of the 15 outside the Top 25 as the season went along to add to our NRL team. Now, we're pretty much committed to a specific 4 at least above the old Top 25 and we will leave a spot open for someone that might come along or we must upgrade one of the Development Players.
I reckon the second tier players to be used were mostly pre-chosen. Only if they weren't available would a second tier player outside the top five or six get a run. IMO.

Chipmunk

Coach
I reckon the second tier players to be used were mostly pre-chosen. Only if they weren't available would a second tier player outside the top five or six get a run. IMO.

I will be interested to see what the plan is for player 29 before March 1. I'd be surprised if one of the 6 Development players gets upgraded.

Chipmunk

Coach
On a side note I don't know why we don't put a $1million bonus in either Manu Mau and Peni Terepo's contract if they can play State of Origin. I doubt either would blink an eye over it.

I'm still confused about the win bonuses. Using their example player, he could play in 26 games for 20 wins, get paid $120K but only on the cap for $110K?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That's how it works. Massive rort, but we have probably benefited a fair bit from it in recent years. Obviously for the player to accept such a deal he has to believe he will play a certain number of games, to the point of I-expect-to-be-picked-when-available becomes a condition of signing a deal so low risk for the club.

So you could sign a $500K player for $100K + $30K appearance fee, he plays 26 games and gets $880K but is on the cap for $490K? Not sure how many players would agree to that (could they get income insurance?) Or if the NRL would allow it.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah I believe that sort of thing is why the NRL put the kibosh on the Israel Folau signing.

Last edited:

Bandwagon

Staff member
I'm still confused about the win bonuses. Using their example player, he could play in 26 games for 20 wins, get paid $120K but only on the cap for $110K?

Uncounted bonus' earned in the year get pushed into the next years cap.

if a club had their shit together enough they could possibly Identify any given year where recruitment and contracts align well enough to say this is our best shot at a premiership and bonus the f**k out of their squad for that year in order to enable them to spend significantly over the cap yet remain within the rules.

They then cop the overs on the following years cap.

Perhaps this is another reason why going back to back doesn't happen.