What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Season Review

callmack1

Staff member
I'll be doing mine sometime next week but just thought it'd be good to get this thread up and running.

If you have any thoughts on our 2018 Season as a whole or want to do a Season review, do it here. I look forward to reading some.

callmack1

Staff member
Alright fellas, it's time for my 2018 NRL Telstra Premiership Season Review for our mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs!! This may be kinda long but I hope you enjoy as these are my thoughts on the season.

NRL.com/Rabbitohs.com Content

South Sydney Rabbitohs 2018 season review: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2018/10/03/south-sydney-rabbitohs-2018-season-review/

The best moments of 2018: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2018/09/25/the-best-moments-of-2018/

Seven talking points from 2018: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2018/10/02/seven-tackle-set-7-talking-points-from-2018/

Best Photos of 2018: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2018/09/25/2018-season-gallery/

Greg Inglis 2018 highlights: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2018/10/03/greg-inglis-2018-highlights/

Young Rabbitohs' best moments of 2018: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2018/10/03/young-rabbitohs-best-moments-of-2018/

Damien Cook - the best of 2018: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2018/10/04/damien-cook-the-best-of-2018/

All of Robert Jennings' tries from 2018: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2018/10/16/all-of-robert-jennings-tries-from-2018/

Rabbitohs' top five tries of 2018: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2018/10/18/nrl.coms-top-5-rabbitohs-tries/

Rabbitohs 2018 Blooper Reel: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2018/10/09/rabbitohs-2018-blooper-reel/

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
Season Overview

Predicted finish prior to season: 8th-14th

Overall finish: 3rd

Well, what an absolutely incredible year 2018 has been for our mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs! Honestly, as season that will forever stick in my mind as one of the best and I think it is certainly up there with one of our best over the past twenty years.

Not many gave us a chance of making the finals this year in the Pre-Season, so we were all saying at the start of the year that even if the boys just scraped into the finals, 2018 could be considered a success. But gee, didn’t the boys really prove everyone wrong and turned out something truly special, massively exceeding expectations to not only make the finals but be one of the best sides all year and be right in contention for the Premiership, capturing our excitement and imagination as they went through the year. We were certainly the most improved side this year and for a team that has finished 12th the last two years, to come out and have a season like that and finish 3rd with essentially the same side is nothing short of remarkable.

There are a lot of reasons why this turned out to be the case but, in my opinion, it all comes down to the appointment of Seibs as our coach. One of the best seasons by a rookie coach in recent memory for sure and that shows in him being awarded the Dally M coach of the year. Prior to his appointment, the whole organisation and certainly the playing group just seemed a bit stale but Seibs came in and started a revolution. He gave the club a breath of fresh air with his fresh insight and new tactics which I will delve into a little later. No doubt, Seibs made a few crucial mistakes along the way but this is all a learning experience for him and he’s only going to get better.

Off the back of Seibs, the playing group seemed to thrive. The shackles were released and suddenly, we turned into one of the best teams in the comp and reclaimed our status as ‘the pride of the league.’ Again, I’ll delve into it a little later but to me, the happiness seemed to return to the club and the playing squad and the passion also returned because the boys got out there and gave their absolute all for the Red and Green as a collective unit every week, something which has really been lacking the past few years.

All our star players such as Reyno, GI, the twins and Sutto had new life breathed into them and they all had their best seasons since our Premiership winning year in 2014. What’s more, all our young guns continued to develop and put forward a very, very strong season.

I think our biggest issue this year, and it is what ended up costing us, was that we didn't have a counter to a team that really slowed down the play-the-ball. Our game model is so reliant on fast play-the-balls that when they weren't regularly coming, we weren't able to get into a groove which really disrupted us and put us off our game. This is what teams did in the Finals and it is what cost us in my opinion.

The end to the year was obviously disappointing and it took me a long time to get over because I know, the boys know, we all know how close we came to the club's 22nd Premiership. One of the most dominant sides all year and we let it slip out of our grasp which is so, so devastating and is a real missed opportunity. However, 2018 can certainly be considered a roaring success and hopefully we can emulate 2014 and go one step further in 2019 after falling short the previous year.

2.JPG

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
Game Model

The fresh approach payed huge dividends and Seibs appointment saw us go from one of the worst, to one of the best attacking teams in the comp within the space of a year. This saw us score the most points and the most tries in the whole comp and Souths became a friggin ruthless attacking unit. I love that his game model retained many of Maguire’s principals, but he tweaked it so that it was more up with the times in season 2018. He let the shackles off a bit and obviously allowed a more free-flowing style of footy that was just fantastic to watch, it really was. Some of the plays we put on this year are the best you’ll ever see in Rugby league that’s for sure.

The style of play was a huge success due the domination of our forward pack throughout the year. This was certainly the best and most consistent our pack has been since 2014 with the likes of the Burgess trio, Sutto, Gus and Murray laying a fantastic platform through that middle third of the field and their ability to generate quick-play-the balls allowed us to get on the front foot and apply that pressure so often.

Off the back of that momentum, our star-studded backline absolutely thrived. As I mentioned earlier, that free-flowing style of footy allowed them to do what they do best and freed up a lot of space for our real game breakers like GI, Walker and Gags to work their magic. That left edge was certainly the most lethal edge in the comp and man, oh man, we scored some absolute beauties down that edge this year that’s for sure.

Defence was also massively improved compared to past seasons. Interestingly, I’ll admit that I was pretty worried earlier in the year as the line speed was weak and the edge defence looked shaky but once the side settled into the season and found their groove, it became quite solid. Time and time again, the outside backs seemed to get it right in terms of when to jam in and when to stay out and I think as a defensive whole, the boys worked better as a unit then in the past. Obviously, we weren’t the perfect defensive side but it was a pretty substantial improvement in 2018.

Stats

1.JPG
4 (2).JPG
3.JPG

callmack1

Staff member
Player-by-Player

Dean Britt: Came into the side late in the year at the expense of Tatola but proved to be quite the workhorse. Big Red did a good solid job towards the back end of the year and into the finals series and he will most definitely be in contention for a spot in the 17 for 2019.

George Burgess: After two very below-average seasons, George needed a massive year and gee whiz, he certainly didn’t disappoint! Seibs seemed to really get the best out of both twins this year and George had a huge return to form which saw him able to re-establish himself as one of the best front rowers in the game. Thankfully, he found that 2014 form again with his extremely hard running and aggression while his errors were decreased dramatically. It truly was an amazing season from big George.

Sam Burgess: 2018 was just the kind of season we have become used to from Sam, he was brilliant all year and certainly one of our best. Sam is always very consistent, but this year was next level, similar to the heights of 2014 for him. An average of 147 metres per game is outstanding and he lead from the front every week with aggression which struck fear into the opposition. The memorable game from Sam this year was Round 7 against Canberra, I distinctly remember that as one of the best performances by a middle forward I have ever seen. However, I think that at the back end of the year, he was really hampered by that elbow injury because he was a little quiet for his usual standards, perhaps the ‘scandal’ played a part in this too. However, it was still a great season from one of our inspirational leaders and without him, we would’ve been nowhere near as strong.

Tom Burgess: I don’t think Tom was as bad in 2017 as many think but this year, he really stepped it up and had a massive return to form. In the Pre-Season, Seibs made a real point of treating the twins as individuals and that payed massive dividends with both having career best years. Tom was no different in 2018 as he averaged 115 metres per game. Tom seemed to find that explosiveness this year and his runs were so damaging too as they always seemed to bend the line. What’s more, Tom was a big generator of quick-play-the-balls which helped to gain momentum. It was really great to see Tom’s return to form and even more pleasing that he was able to maintain it for the whole year.

Braidon Burns: Only played five games but didn’t disappoint anyone at all. He was solid in all those games whether it be at centre, on the wing or coming from the bench and him bulking up over the Pre-Season really helped with his running game and strength. I think he also improved his defensive decision making a fair bit this year. Round 13 against the Sharks is a game that sticks in my mind for Burnsy, he was brilliant in that one until he got injured.

Jason Clark: In his final season for our beloved club, the great clubman was awesome. Struggled to break into the squad early in the season but once he did in Round 5, he was never out of it again playing in all our games from that point on. Every game from Jace this year was just as we’ve come to expect from him over the years, a hardworking, no frills performance and he always, always did his job. I want to thank Clarky for all his service to our club over the last decade, will always be one of my all-time favourite players that’s for sure.

Damien Cook: Well, where do I start?!! 2018 for Cook has to be one of the greatest individual seasons I think I have ever seen, I honestly mean that. Finally nailing down that starting spot saw him thrive and he became one of the hottest layers in the comp with that blistering speed out of dummy half and that incredibly strong defensive performance (averaging 42 tackles a game). I honestly can’t describe how good he’s been this year, easily our best. Being rewarded with a NSW and Kangaroos call up as well as winning Dally M hooker of the year and the Proven Summons medal speaks for itself. Cookie is a massive reason why we did so well this year I reckon, and I hope he can carry it on for many years to come in the Red and Green.

Angus Crichton: I think a lot of us had question marks over his commitment for 2018 after signing with the arch rivals but he didn’t let us down. Gus was super good this year and backed up a strong 2017. It was his best asset, the running of the ball which he excelled in as he developed a brilliant combo with Reynolds and was constantly able to trouble defences with his whole running as well as the ability to change direction. Defensively, he was shaky early on but sorted it out eventually and improved in this area. You certainly couldn’t question his desire and he ended up having another fantastic year overall. Gonna be hard to see him wear those hideous colours in 2019 but I wish him all the best.

Adam Doueihi: What a great debut year for this kid! Our rookie of the year! Doueihi is certainly an old head on young shoulders and he proved that right from the get go. He showed his composure in the halves to lead the boys around the park, but he also showed that he honestly has so much skill, it’s crazy. His versatility was also very good as he played in the halves, fullback, centre, hooker and off the bench. Unfortunate that such an amazing year was ended with that ACL injury, but he’ll be back bigger and better mid next year.

Robbie Farah: Only played two games throughout the Origin period but he did a good job for us. I’m sure he also helped Cookie out a lot along the way and I thank him for that. Good to see him back at the Tigers where his heart lies.

Tyrell Fuimaono: A tough year for Tyrell as he was hampered by injury and only played in four games. He did a solid job in all those games with his aggressive running game though. Will be a shame to see him go next year as he has some real potential.

Dane Gagai: While some might look at Gags’ 2018 season and say it was a little quiet, I say it was good. He wasn’t as explosive as he has been in Origin but I think that without our major signing for 2018, we are nowhere near as good a side. All you have to do is look at his contribution in attack, he is a great ball runner and wow, he did so much work coming out of our own end this year as well as providing that lethal element close to the line. I’ll admit, Gags was a little poor in defence at times but is still up there as one of the best centres in 2018 as seen by his Australian selection. It was a great first year at Souths for Gags.

callmack1

Staff member
Campbell Graham: Came into the side Round 9 and never looked back, what this kid did in his breakout year in 2018 was super outstanding. A great running game coming out of yardage (averaging 113 metres per game), pretty good defensively with his decision making and a decent finisher, there were a lot of highlights for Graham this year. Will never forget his try in Round 13 against the Sharks, that was just wow!! Anyway, a great season from Cammy and I can’t wait to see how he progresses.

Mawene Hiroti: It was amazing to see this guy from my hometown make his debut this year and he did a good job in the fifteen minutes he played, was very solid. Look forward to hopefully seeing more in 2019.

Hymel Hunt: Our Mr fix it this year alongside Doueihi, Hunt proved to be a valuable member of the team as he was able to fill in anywhere. This saw him play eighteen games and he was decent in most of those with a high work rate and good running game. He even managed to bag seven tries which is pretty good for a bloke that has limited game time. I think his defence dropped off a bit towards the end of the year, but I hope he sticks around for depth in 2019.

Greg Inglis: The return of GI, the return of our captain, the return of our hero has been one of the biggest and best stories of 2018. What an amazing season he produced after a whole year off due to that ACL injury and this didn’t hamper him at all in 2018. He came back refreshed mentally and physically which showed throughout the season as he looked so happy and free all year while he dominated the opposition centre many times over. An absolute freak of nature, it was so good to see my favourite player return to his damaging best, this time in the centres, and I think 2018 has been his best year since 2014 for sure. Leading from the front in every game, he averaged 130 metres and his experience added unimaginable value to the young side. What’s more, GI is a big reason why that left edge was so dangerous. Round 7, that try (the best of ten very good ones in 2018), what a moment that was!! A fantastic year from our champion, a truly inspirational story.

Robert Jennings: A real breakout year from Jenko as he established himself as one of the form wingers in the comp. He’s a fantastic finisher as shown by his nineteen tries this year, some of which were spectacular down that slick left edge but it’s his work coming out of yardage that really impressed me this year. Every game he’d get through a lot of work and would start our sets so strongly. Loved Rob’s work in 2018!

Alex Johnston: In his first full year at the back, I think AJ did okay. He proved lethal in attack many times due to his ability to read the game and he knows when to pop up at the right place, right time. What’s more, I think he has also developed a decent passing game (which all good fullback’s need) and his positional play is improving. However, he still seems a bit scared of contact which he really needs to sort out and it was a big let-down for his season. For me, AJ gets the pass mark, but Allan will be hot on his heals for the fullback spot in 2019.

Richard Kennar: A pretty good year for Richie. In the side early in the year and he did an amazing job with a very strong and powerful running game (averaging 103 metres) and very impressive defence in those early rounds. Unfortunately for him, he got injured in Round 8 and wasn’t seen much after that, but I hope he does indeed delay his Mormon mission one more year and stays with us.

Cameron Murray: The dramatic rise of Cameron Murray continues, what a year from Cam! So consistent all year round and he gives his absolute all in every game because he loves the club so friggin much. I honestly don’t think he had a bad game in 2018, every single one was a high work rate in both attack and defence (95 metres, 30 tackles) and the way he went about his business was amazing. Murray really stepped it up in the finals where he just went to another level too, it really has been an incredible season from his and give it two or three years, he’ll be one of the best forwards in the game.

Mark Nicholls: Nicholls has been a reliable player for us all year and has played some vital roles off the bench this year and he’s similar to Clark because he’s a hardworking, no frills player and he always, always did his job. A good season for Marky, better than I expected.

Adam Reynolds: Another big reason for Souths 2018 surge up the ladder was the return to form of our little general. After some tough years, Reyno was finally back to his best and he had the ball on a string all year. His kicking game has been outstanding this year, probably the best it’s ever been, and I don’t think anyone does torpedo bombs better than him!! Seemed to improve his running game this year and defence too however, his goal kicking (while still good) has not up to his usual standards in 2018. It’s been an amazing season from Reyno which is really good to see because he is so vital to our side.

John Sutton: Easily the veteran’s best season to date, Sutto has been enormous this year! Struck up a great combination with Cody and GI and his form throughout the season was pretty incredible to be honest. It was all due to his running game with that late footwork he has which always puts the defence in two minds. Not only that, but a very high work rate in most games too. I’ll admit he did drop off a bit at the back end of the year though. The first Souths player to play 300 games is HUGE and I’m so glad to see him have a great year. Let’s hope his final season is just as good!

Junior Tatola: A very nice debut year for Tatola off the bench. He played in almost all the games this year and provided great impact off the bench with his hard, aggressive running. Tats has great leg drive which is seen in the amount of post contact metres he makes. His late dip in form is concerning but overall, he had a great year.

Kyle Turner: Only played the one game in Round 6 against the Roosters and I remember he wasn’t bad.

Cody Walker: Cody’s best season to date for sure! Seibs allowed him the freedom to play off the cuff and Cody thrived off this because we all know he is an instinctive player. Some of the stuff he did this year was just amazing and I don’t know how many times he created something from nothing. He is a big reason why that left edge was so dangerous because a shift to that side was almost always started by him. Round 9 and that emotional try will always stick out for me. What a season from Cody.

callmack1

Staff member
My top five moments from 2018

1. Round 12 vs the Warriors: This is because it’s the first time I’ve seen the boys play in person for a long time and I got to meet the whole squad before and after the game. What a win too!

2. Beating the Storm in Round 21: This was an amazing victory that proved to everyone we could win the 2018 title. Then of course, there was that try by Cookie!

3. GI’s try in Round 7 vs the Raiders: Was so good to see him streak away like that, I friggin loved it so much!

4. Our Semi Final win against the Dragons: A rollercoaster of emotions and our first finals win since 2014, it was amazing!!

5. The week of Sutto’s 300th: We may have not won the game but that whole week was so cool

And there we have it, my 2018 Season Review!! It truly has been an incredible year and we’ve taken a big step towards the future.

I can now sign off on 2018 and look towards what will hopefully be a great 2019!!!

Latest posts