What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Canterbury Cup NSW & U20 Jersey Flegg

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
They will probably run a round 1 bye thats in sync with U20s
For the third time, I've already posted what is likely to be the Round 1 draw. It won't be a bye.

As for the delay I think it's legitimate, and the reasons will become apparent quite soon.

siv

First Grade
Friday
3pm Knights/Newtown (before NRL @ Marathon)
Saturday
12:45 (FOX) Warriors/Dogs (before NRL @ Mt Smart)
3:15 Magpies v BWSE (before NRL @ Leichhardt)
Sunday
1pm (Nine) Souffs v Norffs @ Redfern
1:45pm Panthers v Wenty (before NRL @ Pemriff)

Ok found the ISP round 1 draw

Why is U20s having a Round 1 bye for all clubs ? Instead of being in sync with ISP

Timmah

Staff member
Ok found the ISP round 1 draw

Why is U20s having a Round 1 bye for all clubs ? Instead of being in sync with ISP
As I understand, the draw was to accommodate 20 matches over 24 rounds, hence four full-bye rounds. I can only guess it comes down to timing as to when they deemed it best to have the first of these. The others form blocks to enable players who are students time for studies ahead of exams etc I believe.

The competition is technically "in sync" with ISP, as it starts and finishes in the same time frame and many of the scheduling choices are made with continuity (i.e. Mounties NSW Cup and Canberra Flegg *usually* play the same opponent/feeder each week), but the comps won't line up exactly in terms of bye rounds etc (also because there are two more teams in Flegg than are in ISP).

Tigers1986

Juniors
I know you've posted it but it's not official from NSWRL. Laughable that it's under 2 weeks until the comp starts and there is no draw. You may not care, but the niche supporters who almost prefer the ISP competition would like to at least consider planning weekends. They may try and sync it with Flegg, but it doesn't always happen like that.

I've heard through various channels that the draw won't be published until Round 4. The reasons are due to Channel 9 still demanding certain teams at certain grounds to suit their Sunday TV timeslot.

Timmah

Staff member
I know you've posted it but it's not official from NSWRL. Laughable that it's under 2 weeks until the comp starts and there is no draw. You may not care, but the niche supporters who almost prefer the ISP competition would like to at least consider planning weekends. They may try and sync it with Flegg, but it doesn't always happen like that.

I've heard through various channels that the draw won't be published until Round 4. The reasons are due to Channel 9 still demanding certain teams at certain grounds to suit their Sunday TV timeslot.
I presume you mean March 4. You can't play three weeks 'on the fly'.

Either way I think there is more at play than you may believe.

siv

First Grade
The reasons are due to Channel 9 still demanding certain teams at certain grounds to suit their Sunday TV timeslot.

This comment is interesting

Normally a Sunday RG-ISP match would line up with the NRL match

Eg Canterbury v Penrith

Or are they trying to make pregame be say Newtown v Norths

Which should have been aligned with a Cronulla v Easts NRL game

Tigers1986

Juniors
I presume you mean March 4. You can't play three weeks 'on the fly'.

Either way I think there is more at play than you may believe.

No, I mean Round 4 due to the TV scheduling issues. Channel 9 being the obstacle.

Whatever I believe, it's farcical that in the highest level grade competition in the state, there is no draw and the season starts in 15 days. If the fans attending "didn't matter" as you allude to, then why do they charge an entry fee? Q Cup had there's out in November, they have broadcast commitments.

Eg Canterbury v Penrith

Who knows how it works. It's laughable now. It'll come, but it just looks poorly organised.

Timmah

Staff member

Eg Canterbury v Penrith

From the draft I saw some time ago, it was a mix throughout the year - sometimes the broadcast was from a non-NRL venue, sometimes in line with the 4pm NRL game.
No, I mean Round 4 due to the TV scheduling issues. Channel 9 being the obstacle.

Whatever I believe, it's farcical that in the highest level grade competition in the state, there is no draw and the season starts in 15 days. If the fans attending "didn't matter" as you allude to, then why do they charge an entry fee? Q Cup had there's out in November, they have broadcast commitments.

Who knows how it works. It's laughable now. It'll come, but it just looks poorly organised.
I think the Round 4 comment is unhelpful speculation at best. I understand based on information I have from well-placed sources there are some things happening behind the scenes which may be affecting the release, but I am not aware of any delay that would see a draw not released until four weeks into the competition (what do you propose they do Rounds 1-3? Show up to grounds and hope?)

Tigers1986

Juniors
The least that we could expect could be an announcement saying it's coming. It's blanket silence across the board regarding it all. The NRL should be mediating to form a solution.

Timmah

Staff member
The least that we could expect could be an announcement saying it's coming. It's blanket silence across the board regarding it all. The NRL should be mediating to form a solution.
Something tells me the NRL and NSWRL aren't getting along lol

Coastbloke

Bench
The draw will be released to the public on the day of the season launch being Thursday March 7th..

Clubs are in possession of the draw.

My information is from the response I got on the official NSWRL Website Contact Us enquiry option.

Timmah

Staff member
The draw will be released to the public on the day of the season launch being Thursday March 7th..

Clubs are in possession of the draw.

My information is from the response I got on the official NSWRL Website Contact Us enquiry option.
Just spoke to the media manager there who confirmed same.

footyhead1

Juniors
Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles

WSM

NSB

NZW

SSR

NEK

SID

MOU

CBB

OFF

NEJ

NZW

PEP

CBB

SID

NEK

WEM

SSR

NSB

BYE

NEJ

WSM

WEM

MOU

PEP

Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs

NZW

WEM

WSM

NSB

SID

SSR

NZW

BWS

WSM

MOU

NEK

BWS

NSB

NEJ

PEP

NEK

BYE

NEJ

PEP

MOU

SSR

WEM

SID

Mounties

SID

NEJ

NEK

WSM

WEM

NZW

BWS

PEP

SSR

CBB

NSB

WSM

NEJ

WEM

SSR

SID

BYE

PEP

NZW

CBB

NEK

BWS

NSB

New Zealand Warriors

CBB

WSM

BWS

PEP

SSR

MOU

CBB

NEK

PEP

BWS

NEJ

SID

WEM

NSB

NEK

BYE

NEJ

WEM

MOU

SSR

NSB

SID

WSM

Newcastle Knights

NEJ

PEP

MOU

SID

BWS

NSB

WEM

NZW

SID

NSB

CBB

SSR

WSM

BWS

NZW

CBB

PEP

WSM

BYE

WEM

MOU

SSR

NEJ

Newtown Jets

NEK

MOU

SSR

WEM

NSB

PEP

WSM

SSR

BWS

SID

NZW

WEM

MOU

CBB

SID

NSB

NZW

CBB

BWS

PEP

BYE

WSM

NEK

North Sydney Bears

SSR

BWS

WEM

CBB

NEJ

NEK

SID

WSM

WEM

NEK

MOU

PEP

CBB

NZW

WSM

NEJ

BWS

BYE

SSR

SID

NZW

PEP

MOU

footyhead1

Juniors
Penrith Panthers

WEM

NEK

SID

NZW

WSM

NEJ

SSR

MOU

NZW

WEM

BWS

NSB

SSR

SID

CBB

BYE

NEK

MOU

CBB

NEJ

WSM

NSB

BWS

St George Illawarra Dragons

MOU

SSR

PEP

NEK

CBB

BWS

NSB

WEM

NEK

NEJ

WSM

NZW

BWS

PEP

NEJ

MOU

WSM

SSR

WEM

NSB

BYE

NZW

CBB

Western Suburbs Magpies

BWS

NZW

CBB

MOU

PEP

WEM

NEJ

NSB

CBB

SSR

SID

MOU

NEK

SSR

NSB

WEM

SID

NEK

BYE

BWS

PEP

NEJ

NZW

Wentworthville Magpies

PEP

CBB

NSB

NEJ

MOU

WSM

NEK

SID

NSB

PEP

SSR

NEJ

NZW

MOU

BWS

WSM

BYE

NZW

SID

NEK

BWS

CBB

SSR

South Sydney Rabbitohs

NSB

SID

NEJ

BWS

NZW

CBB

PEP

NEJ

MOU

WSM

WEM

NEK

PEP

WSM

MOU

BWS

BYE

SID

NSB

NZW

CBB

NEK

WEM

This was the draw given to clubs (In better format than this obviously)