2019 Discussion

Discussion in 'Penrith Panthers' started by Panther_Daz, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Panther_Daz

Panther_Daz Moderator Staff Member

I notice a few threads are talking about 2019.

Can we keep it all in here please?

2. umina panther

umina panther Coach

Yeo (C) is more important than anything

soc123_au, roofromoz and OldPanther like this.
  3. billypilgrimnz

billypilgrimnz Bench

Some random observations:

- We have far too many players that lack game awareness. That last 5 minutes was a textbook example of how not to close out a game. We desperately need a coach that can instill game management in these players, or players who are just smart enough to do it themselves.

- I never want to see May as a dummy half again. His passing from there is shit.

- I would keep Tamou. Merrin I would let go.

- Discipline and handling errors kill us every game without fail. Coaching can fix the first, but I'm starting to wonder whether the second is terminal.

- RCG is too flaky to be a superstar prop. He lets his heart override his brain too often.

- I'm not sure Mansour is the player he was anymore.

- We are blessed in the fullback department with Edwards, DWZ, and Aekins coming through. Can't fit three into one though. Does Aekins play wing?

- Boy, do we need an experienced, skillful dummy half.

4. Panther_Daz

Panther_Daz Moderator Staff Member

Good post @billypilgrimnz. Agree with all of that.

Aekins is capable of playing 1-5 but has shown this year that fullback is his best position.

5. martielang

martielang Juniors

I don’t think we’re too far off tbh. Not many changes imo. There wasn’t a team in the comp we should fear if we’re playing close to our best.

Agree with most of Billy’s points but I’d be happy with Katoa at 9, Egan at 14 or vice versa.

Merrin clearly getting pushed out, Tamou has been great of late, I’d try & play him a bit wider at times & definitely longer minutes. Would start him & push RCG to the bench. RCG is spent by the 20th min when starting.

I’d try May at lock with JFH as prop/middle forward.

Backline picks itself when Edwards is fit IMO. Aekins next cab. Wouldn’t mind signing someone like Linnett for cover & to push our outside backs.

I’d be telling Maloney to give up rep footy. Not sure I’d punt him for Luai just yet, but if he’s not performing throughout the year hopefully Luai gets his shot.

Like the look of Waddell & Liu Toso, hopefully they get some minutes.

tripster likes this.
  6. umina panther

umina panther Coach

DWZ was outstanding last night and while I still have Edwards at fullback I would like to see them swap around during the game occasionally

OldPanther and martielang like this.
  7. Exsilium

Exsilium Bench

Thinking beyond 2019, Cleary needs to step up next year because without a skilled half next to him he will struggle. We need to know he can be that experience we need in the halves and make those winning decisions.

We can’t have two young and inexperienced halves who are learning on the run.

8. martielang

martielang Juniors

I thought we’d seen good signs from Cleary the last few weeks. Seems the shackles have been taken off & looks to be improving. In saying that, I think Maloney hindered him last night by taking too much ball, maybe next year he finds the confidence to become more dominate.

Fangs and OldPanther like this.
  9. OldPanther

OldPanther First Grade

Ciraldo or Ivan should be our coach next year.

We do have a general discussion thread.

This^

10. age.s

age.s Bench

It might be the disappointment talking but I don't know if I want to see Maloney back next year. He had some great moments among some awful ones, but I was willing to forgive the problems because I figured his experience would make him the big game player who would get it done in the biggest moments of the season. Seeing him bottle it so comprehensively last night just rubs out the reason you put up with the grabby defense and dumb penalties throughout the season.

He was a mill around the teams neck last night. In what way is that going to be different next year?

If there's an opportunity to keep Peachey and send Maloney to the GC I'd grab it with both hands right now.

Copperhead and OldPanther like this.
  11. mxlegend99

mxlegend99 Coach

Our team has changed quiet alot each season the past 3 years and stumbled at the exact same point in very similar fashion 3 years in a row.

OldPanther likes this.
  12. herbert henry1908

herbert henry1908 Coach

Get Maloney to retire from rep footy (that will be hard)

Find another Hooker (harder)

Instil discipline (the hardest)

To me these are the 3 main priorities for next year.

roofromoz, Buzzard Breath and unKwn like this.
  13. umina panther

umina panther Coach

Can't agree re Maloney. Origin will be Luai's on chance to play

14. herbert henry1908

herbert henry1908 Coach

If we’re any chance next year we need Maloney fit, if he plays origin there’s less chance of that.

I don’t see Luai having 2 games in the middle of the season making a huge difference.

If the club can’t convince Maloney to retire from rep footy though I’d see if we can move him on.

15. unKwn

unKwn Juniors

Maloney winning an origin series this year will influence his decision in retiring from rep footy for next year.

16. tripster

tripster Juniors

We finished 5th after a horrendous injury toll, and having our coach sacked a few weeks out of from the end of the year. We then lost to the Sharks by 1 point.

I am confident about next year.

jane the pain likes this.
  17. ashton

ashton Juniors

Wingers too small. Most of the top sides have tall wingers with pace.
    Need a class fullback with pace and that can tackle. DWZ didn't get a hand on Lewis last night. Poor defence
    More pace in the back line.
    Merrin poor.......show him the door.
    Sam McKendrey needs to be moved on.
    Katoa offers nothing from hooker. NSW cup standard. Still not sold on Egan.
    Need to purchase a quality hooker. All the top 4 sides have good hookers.
    Need at least one quality front rower. All of our front rowers have been average.
    Our only signings for next year are Tim Grant and MWZ at least that strenghtens or NSW cup side.

Buzzard Breath and Copperhead like this.
  18. PenrithPanther45

PenrithPanther45 Juniors

Top four is an absolute must next year. It's that simple. Only way we'll have a chance of winning.

footy75 likes this.
  19. Copperhead

Copperhead Juniors

Agree with all that. I like Mansour, but I can't believe we resigned him, his best is in the past. His poor defense and problems under the high ball are still in our future. Next cab off the rank Brian Too is short as well.

20. Luke Bowden

Luke Bowden Bench

I think we need a hooker. Even Luke on a one year deal. I really like our guys, they just aren’t good enough yet.

I’m not sure how I feel about May. I’d be happy to see him go to the Titans if it means we can keep Peach.

DWZ impressed me all year. Love the guy.

Happy to see Merrin and Tamou move on, but they must be replaced with a big body.

Happy with Ciro to remain. I don’t think he’ll let us down.

Bring on 2019!

jane the pain likes this.