What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020: NRL 360

Gazzamatta

Coach
Unlike lots of other professions, the ability of NRL coaches is shown in their very publicised results so looking at who may bring what is somewhat easier then say looking for the new CEO of a bank or a even a new marine biologist.

Whilst Holbrook may be a rookie in terms of NRL experience, he does have a 79% success rate over 3 years (72 games) in ESL which is better than any current NRL coach and better than other ESL coaches who have also coached in the NRL, such as Maguire, Anderson, Murray and Elliot.
A huge miss for us. Will be a very interested observer. Go Red!

TheRam

Coach
I think the decision not to interview other coaches was very interesting, particularly when they indicated that they would be doing that.

You would never see a successful organisation in the corporate world just go for a preferred candidate and not at least test first hand what others could bring to the role. Particularly not for such a critical role.

Picking a rookie with no obvious link to the region is interesting as well. I would have thought you would need an experienced head with links to the region (or at a minimum one of those two things).

Holbrook has a massive job on his hands. I would love to see the Gold Coast be much more successful and wish him all the best.

Your first point about not interviewing other coaches is not why Kent and others are blowing up. Kent and his posse of poison pen parasites have stated the better clubs like Roosters for example just identify their man and do the deal. As for the way other business Corps do it, I would suggest it varies.

The point is he is just pissed because the TITS kept everybody guessing to the last minuet, amateur hour if you ask him, but in reality who the "F" cares except the scoop seeking dribblers?

As for picking a rookie coach, again that is not what he was blowing up about. He believes in his mind that their process was less then professional and just all corporate spin. But it was the media that kept at them from the very get go and they just kept deflecting the best way they could till they made their decision.

Now whether they have picked the right man or not will be decided down the track based on results, but to suggest that Walters would be better then Holbrook at this point in either ones career is hardly based on solid evidence or knowledge. So who else was a standout superior choice then those two NRL rookies?

TheRam

Coach
That's a good point.

There is something about that location that doesn't work. It's in a big enough catchment with plenty of league fans (South of Brisbane to mid North coast of NSW) so in theory it should work.

They haven't had much success with other codes either.

I tell you what works. Winning.

Gronk

Staff member
I think the decision not to interview other coaches was very interesting, particularly when they indicated that they would be doing that.

You would never see a successful organisation in the corporate world just go for a preferred candidate and not at least test first hand what others could bring to the role. Particularly not for such a critical role.

Picking a rookie with no obvious link to the region is interesting as well. I would have thought you would need an experienced head with links to the region (or at a minimum one of those two things).

Holbrook has a massive job on his hands. I would love to see the Gold Coast be much more successful and wish him all the best.

The Titans are a privately owned club, whose owners are independently successful and wealthy business people. Are we really suggesting that they did not do their due diligence when recruiting their new head coach ? For all we know the recruitment process might have commenced 6 months ago.

Personally I agree with @TheRam as this is yet another case of PKent shitting the bed because something in the NRL didn't go the way that he approved.

TheRam

Coach
The Titans are a privately owned club, whose owners are independently successful and wealthy business people. Are we really suggesting that they did not do their due diligence when recruiting their new head coach ? For all we know the recruitment process might have commenced 6 months ago.

Personally I agree with @TheRam as this is yet another case of PKent shitting the bed because something in the NRL didn't go the way that he approved.

About time we agreed on something you commie.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

Having a successful car business is different to running a successful football team as their lack of success with the Titans appears to indicate.

I have listened to and watched countless commentators this week. All of them (who have connections with all of the supposed candidates, if not direct relationships) have said as much. Based on the weight of evidence I am inclined to go with what everyone is saying - there were no interviews with anyone other than Hollbrook.

One could argue that you don't need to conduct interviews to do proper due diligence and that may be true, but I am doubtful.

Gronk

Staff member
Having a successful car business is different to running a successful football team as their lack of success with the Titans appears to indicate.

I have listened to and watched countless commentators this week. All of them (who have connections with all of the supposed candidates, if not direct relationships) have said as much. Based on the weight of evidence I am inclined to go with what everyone is saying - there were no interviews with anyone other than Hollbrook.

One could argue that you don't need to conduct interviews to do proper due diligence and that may be true, but I am doubtful.
Physcometric tests are where it's at.