What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 GF | PREMIERS - Roosters 14-8 Raiders @ ANZ

Grand Final: Roosters v Raiders

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Valheru

Coach
All that matters is that we came 4th in 89 and took out the hot favourites in the GF. 30 years later it’s destiny.

.....and I’ve got nothing else to go off

Why were Balmain such clear favourites? They won the same amount of games as Canberra and had an inferior points differential.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I think this has the potential to be one of the best GFs of the NRL era. 3 best for me would be:

Hoping this will end up in that bracket.

I don’t expect the Roosters to intimidate Canberra because, with all due respect, most of the players are too dumb to be intimidated.

The Raiders were scratchy last week, it seemed obvious the expectation got to them. How they won was never going to matter, getting there was all that was important. With that out of the way I think we’ll see a much more relaxed and freer Raiders side. Their attack will trouble the Easts wall a lot more then the structure of Souths and Storm did. Sure this game is more likely to end up a blowout then if one of those were playing, however they won’t be scared to chance their arm with offloads, early kicks or stupid flick passes that were never on. Not many attacks could put 2-3 quick tries on the Roosters but these guys could.

The Roosters are deservedly favorites and it’s hard to find a weakness as you look across their team sheet. The best team of the last 2 years and in a way it would be fitting for them to be the first back to back in 26 years. They won’t be over awed, won’t be complacent and always get up when they need too. It goes without saying that the Raiders will need to be at their best for the whole 80 minutes and probably need a few bounces of the ball to go their way. However when you have guys like CNK, BJ, Rapana, Wighton, Hodgson, Bateman, Papalii etc, there will be plenty of guys trying to make that happen.

Really looking forward to this. Have the Roosters being too professional and closing it out 24-12 but the Raiders to make them work for it the whole game.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Why were Balmain such clear favourites? They won the same amount of games as Canberra and had an inferior points differential.
I guess because Balmain were in the GF the year before, had a great set of forwards plus a few other things like no team had ever won from 4th and no team outside of Sydney had ever won the comp.

A lot of people also look at the Raiders team and think what an All-Star line up but some of those stars were also very young. Daley 19, Clyde 19, Stuart 22, Lazarus 23

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I don’t expect the Roosters to intimidate Canberra because, with all due respect, most of the players are too dumb to be intimidated.
Speaking of dumb, I really think this game could come down to Leilua v Mitchell. I have no doubt BJ will be told to give Latrell a hard time but could really f*ck us if he goes overboard. On the other hand he has the ability to break this game open for us. Vice-versa with Latrell.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Speaking of dumb, I really think this game could come down to Leilua v Mitchell. I have no doubt BJ will be told to give Latrell a hard time but could really f*ck us if he goes overboard. On the other hand he has the ability to break this game open for us. Vice-versa with Latrell.

100% mate, and that’s what I mean. Latrell could step up and make 4 clean line breaks to push the Chooks away. However BJ could just as easily run riot making breaks and offloading with 4 defenders on him giving Rapana 3 tries. Hell with these 2 both could happen, before halftime!

The roosters spine shits all over the raiders spine

Roosters have a better backline

Canberra have a slight edge in the forwards

Roosters have all the GF experience

Roosters have a better coach

Goosters win unfortunately

Cheap Charlie

Juniors
Three words:

Cronk. Keary. Tedesco.

Honorable mentions to Manu and Radley.

Latrell to bathe in reflected glory.

Hopes on raiders, money on the chooks.

no name

Coach
The roosters spine shits all over the raiders spine

Roosters have a better backline

Canberra have a slight edge in the forwards

Roosters have all the GF experience

Roosters have a better coach

Goosters win unfortunately
I think the Roosters’ biggest advantage is the bench.
Although, Sticky has managed his bench quite well this year.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I've heard a few times now that the Raiders have a slight advantage in the forwards.

Our pack was also seriously underrated last year, too. In fact it was called our weakness!

With a pack so strong that Crichton, Taukeiaho and Butcher are coming off the bench I'm just curious to know where people think Canberra have the forward edge...

Someguy

First Grade
I've heard a few times now that the Raiders have a slight advantage in the forwards.

Our pack was also seriously underrated last year, too. In fact it was called our weakness!

With a pack so strong that Crichton, Taukeiaho and Butcher are coming off the bench I'm just curious to know where people think Canberra have the forward edge...

I still believe Crichton is the best 2nd rower in the game

nick87

Coach

It's really, really simple, Tommy.

We have John Bateman AND Josh Papalii... The roosters have neither John Bateman or Josh Papalii.