What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 R1 Sat - Warriors 40-6 Bulldogs @ Mt Smart

Round 1: Warriors v Bulldogs

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
ok, I'm confused.

I do think it should have been a penalty. I think it's ridiculous that you are able to tackle a player in the air under any circumstances.
Yeah I learnt on here (our forum) by some other poster that it was ok to tackle a player in the air receiving the ball, so long as the receiver is catching a bomb 'kicked up' by his own team member. Obviously if the OPPOSITION goes up and defuses the bomb and gets tackled in the air in the process, well then thats when the penalty for getting 'tackled in the air' comes into effect.

My understanding was the same as yours in that, as bad as it looked, I knew it was legitimate so I was wondering why the Warriors were blowing up about it. I remember thinking 'they need to change that rule' but for that to happen someone needs to land on their neck and brake it and then of course they'll change it.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I believe there is still a duty of care on the tackler not to place the tackled player in a dangerous position though. If Fusitua ends up past the horizontal then its still a dangerous tackle. Its the just the act of tackling in the air that is not in itself illegal in that situation.

Iafeta

Referee
I can’t really remember how the tackle ended up.. but as I understand it you can tackle the attacking bloke in the air otherwise it’s a free for all and wingers will score a ton of tries, but, you can’t tip them over the horizontal or tackle them before receiving the ball.

The big issue really on a tackle in the air situation is tipping a bloke on his neck because of the various pieces of physics involved. But in preventing that, I really think it could become a kickathon for tries.

typicalfan

Coach
I believe that is for the flip, not for tackling an attacking player in the air. It did look spectacular and maybe a penalty was warranted but I still think Crichton controlled the tackle well as Fusitua did end up on his back. I think Stephen Kearney will push for the rule change while he has arguably the best winger in the air in the game. Might be different if his wingers were the height of Corey Thompson

Latest posts