What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Roster: Gains & Losses

One Warrior

Bench
2018 is done and dusted, it's time for the 2019 roster, it's going to be busy as far as re-signings are concerned, over half the squad are off contract at the end of 2019, plus Luke & Tevaga etc still not signed for next year, here is the roster as it stands currently:

Current Squad/year contract expires

David Fusitua 2023
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 2022
Ken Maumalo 2022
Tohu Harris 2021
Chris Satae 2021
Bunty Afoa 2021
Nathaniel Roache 2020
Leivaha Pulu 2020
Adam Blair 2020
Gerard Beale 2020
Peta HIku 2020
Blake Green 2020
Sam Lisone 2020
Isaish Papalii 2020
Solomone Kata 2019
Shaun Johnson 2019
James Gavet 2019
Ligi Sao 2019
Blake Ayshford 2019
Charnze Nicole-Klokstad 2019
Lewis Soosemea 2019
Hayze Perham 2019
Agnatius Paasi 2019
Karl Lawton 2019
Paul Turner 2019
Jazz Tevaga 2019
Isaac Luke 2019

Losses

Zac Santo (Townsville Blackhawks)
Albert Vete (Melbourne Storm)
Manaia Cherrington
Anthony Gelling (Widnes Vikings)
Simon Mannering (Retirement)
Mason Lino (Newcastle Knights)
Joseph Vuna (Mormon mission)

Gains

Leeson Ah Mau 2021(St George Dragons)

Unknown for 2019

Junior Pauga
Patrick Sipley
Donovan Briggs
Sam Cook
Matiu Love-Henry

Anybody who has any further info please advise, thanks.

Last edited:

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Lino released

https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2018/09/25/lino-granted-release-by-vodafone-warriors/

The Vodafone Warriors have today confirmed halfback Mason Lino has been granted a release to continue his NRL career in Australia.

The 24-year-old was recently given permission to test the market after making just 17 NRL appearances since his debut late in the 2015 season.

“It’s not an easy decision to let Mason go because he is the epitome of a true club man and we all love having him around,” said Vodafone Warriors general manager football Brian Smith.

“He has been totally dedicated to the Vodafone Warriors but we didn’t want to stand in the way of him having a look at options with other clubs.

“His opportunities for NRL football have been limited here and he has more than earned the right to look at the chance of more regular exposure.

“While we’re sorry to see Mason go we’re also excited for him and wish him all the best.”

Vodafone Warriors head coach Stephen Kearney said Lino had demonstrated the values the club stood for.

“Mason has always provided a wonderful example to everyone at the club,” he said.

“He has been totally loyal and supportive in all he does. When we needed him he came into the side and did a really good job for us every time.

“He certainly goes with our blessing and leaves a tremendous legacy.”

Coming through the Vodafone Warriors’ development system, Lino debuted for the club’s National Youth Competition side in 2012.

“It’s tough leaving the club because it has been my home and I’m so thankful for all the opportunities I’ve had here but I’m also excited about what’s ahead for me,” he said.

Lino finished his NYC career with more than 500 points in 62 games from 2012-2014 and added another 65 matches and more than 400 points for the Intrust Super Premiership side since his debut in the grade in 2014.

He scored three tries in eight games at NRL level this year as an injury replacement for Shaun Johnson and Blake Green.

Rich102

Staff member
The Vodafone Warriors have secured another one of their most promising players after signing front rower Bunty Afoa to the end of the 2021 NRL season.

The Point Chevalier Pirates junior and Toa Samoa international, who turned 22 just last month, is already well-established as one of the club’s first-choice forwards. He needs only six more appearances next year to reach the 50-game milestone.

Vodafone Warriors head coach Stephen Kearney is thrilled to have Afoa locked in for another three seasons.

“Bunty has been terrific for us, even more so when you consider he was only 21 for almost the entire season,” he said.

“What he gives us is real consistency in effort and performance which makes him one of the most impressive young forwards in the game. He also brings a wonderful attitude in all he does as well and will improve even more.”

Another product out of the St Paul’s College nursery in Auckland, Afoa missed just two of the 25 matches in the club’s 2018 finals-qualifying campaign. He has appeared in 40 of a possible 49 matches in the last two seasons following his NRL debut in 2016.

“I love being part of this club and I’ve really enjoyed my football this year having the chance to play in the middle,” he said.

“I felt a lot more comfortable about my role whether it was coming off the bench or starting but I’ve got a lot more to learn and I want to do all I can to help the team do better next year.

“I feel blessed with the coaching staff and players I have around me to guide me."

Vodafone Warriors general manager football Brian Smith said Afoa was another vital signing as the club sought to secure the players it has developed.

“Bunty is another terrific young player who has come through our nursery,” he said.

“What he has done in such a short time in the NRL is inspirational, a fine example for all young kids in this country who have dreams of making it. He’s a pleasure to have at our club in the way he conducts himself as a footballer and in the community.

“The beauty with him is that he causes no fuss. He’s always helpful, low maintenance and very coachable.”

Afoa was used 16 times off the bench and started seven games this year. He averaged 35 minutes a game, made an average 86 metres including 33 post-contact metres and 24 tackles.

He made a club record-equalling 64 NYC appearances for the Vodafone Junior Warriors from 2014-2016 and was part of the premiership-winning side in 2016.

BUNTY AFOA
Born: August 20, 1996
Birthplace: Auckland, NZ
Junior Club: Point Chevalier Pirates
Position: Prop
Height: 188cm
Weight: 103kg
Rep Honours: 5 Tests for Toa Samoa (2016-2018), 2017 Rugby League World Cup
Club and FG Debut: v Gold Coast Titans, Mount Smart Stadium, July 2, 2016 (Rd 17)
NRL Career: 44 appearances (2016-2018)
NRL Points: 12 (3 tries)
Intrust Super Premiership Career: 10 appearances (2015-2017)
Intrust Super Premiership Points: 12 points (3 tries)
NYC Career: 64 games (2014-2016)
NYC Points: 48 (12 tries)

Rich102

Staff member
Utility forward Jazz Tevaga has re-signed with the Vodafone Warriors on a one-year deal for 2019 with an option for the 2020 NRL season.

The energetic back rower/hooker, who recently turned 23, has just finished his best NRL season since his 2016 debut making 20 appearances, culminating in him being named the Interchange Player of the Year at Wednesday night’s 2018 Dally M Awards.

“We’ve been really pleased with the way Jazz has developed his game this year and were thrilled when he won the Dally M interchange award this week,” said Vodafone Warriors head coach Stephen Kearney.

“He was important to our success, the way he came off the bench to bring energy and toughness playing big minutes.”

The Christchurch-born, Papakura-raised Tevaga took his career tally to 35 appearances this season, averaging 56 minutes, 10 runs, 85 metres and 37 tackles a game.

“There were other offers but I love it here and always wanted to stay,” said Tevaga.

“We made progress this year. We have something to build on and I want to be part of our success next year and after that.”

Tevaga is a product of the club’s development pathways, originally picked up by the Vodafone Warriors after an under-20 open trial in 2013.

“We have a really good crop of young players making their way in the NRL,” said Vodafone Warriors general manager football Brian Smith.

“Jazz is another one of them who now joins David (Fusitu’a), Ken (Maumalo) and Bunty (Afoa) from that group who have re-signed.”

Tevaga became a fixture for the Vodafone Junior Warriors in 2014, going on to play at loose forward in their NYC grand final win over Brisbane when his team-mates included other current NRL squad members Nathaniel Roache, Solomone Kata, Mason Lino, Sam Lisone, James Bell, Maumalo and Afoa.

In 2015 he played another 25 games to finish his NYC career with 45 appearances, was selected for the Junior Kiwis and also made his debut in the club’s New South Wales (now Intrust Super Premiership) side.

In 2016 he made his NRL debut in the third round in a season when he mixed NRL and ISP appearances.

Last year he represented Toa Samoa at the Rugby League World Cup.

JAZZ TEVAGA
Born: September 4, 1995
Birthplace: Christchurch, NZ
Junior Clubs: Burnham Chevaliers (Christchurch), Papakura Sea Eagles (Auckland)
Positions: Loose forward/hooker
Height: 178cm
Weight: 94kg
Rep Honours: 4 Tests for Toa Samoa (2017), Rugby League World Cup (2017), Junior Kiwis (2015)
Club and FG Debut: v Melbourne, Mount Smart Stadium, March 23, 2016 (Rd 3)
NRL Career: 35 appearances (2016-2018)
NRL Points: 8 (2 tries)
Intrust Super Premiership Career: 34 appearances (2015-2018)
Intrust Super Premiership Points: 28 points (7 tries)
NYC Career: 45 games (2014-2015)
NYC Points: 40 (10 tries)

One Warrior

Bench
Isaac Luke re-signs for 2019

Luke signed and sealed for 2019

Veteran Issac Luke has re-committed to the Vodafone Warriors after signing a one-year contract for the 2019 NRL season.

The 31-year-old, whose original three-year contract ended this season, inked his deal this afternoon.

The 43-Test Kiwi’s fourth Vodafone Warriors campaign will coincide with the club’s 25thseason since entering the competition in 1995.

“It’s good to have the contract all sorted out,” said Luke.

“We always wanted to stay in New Zealand, my wife and the kids. I’m really happy here at the club and I’m pleased I have another season with the boys."

Vodafone Warriors head coach Stephen Kearney welcomed Luke’s re-signing.

“We wanted Issac to stay. It was just a matter of sorting out the details,” he said.

“Now we look forward to him making a big contribution to the side next season.”

Luke played 23 of the Vodafone Warriors’ 25 games this year, scoring six tries while averaging 71 minutes, 72 metres and 31 tackles a game. He had a total of 114 dummy half runs, third behind fellow hookers South Sydney’s Damien Cook and St George Illawarra’s Cameron McInnes.

Late in the season Luke reached the 250-game career milestone while taking his club appearances tally to 66.

ISSAC LUKE

Born: May 29, 1987
Birthplace: Hawera, NZ
Junior Club: Hawera Hawks
Position: Hooker
Height: 174cm
Weight: 90kg
Kiwi No: 749
Kiwi Test Debut: v Australia, Sydney, 2008
Rep Honours: 43 Tests NZ (2008-2018), World Cup (2008 & 2013), Four Nations (2009, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016), All Golds (2008), NZ v Cook Islands (2013)
Kiwi Points: 64 (4 tries, 24 goals)
NRL Debut: South Sydney v Melbourne, Olympic Park, June 02, 2007 (Round 12)
Vodafone Warriors Debut: Vodafone Warriors v Wests Tigers, Campbelltown Sports Stadium, March 05, 2016 (Round 1)
Vodafone Warriors No: 206
NRL Career: 254 appearances (2007-2018)
NRL Points: 542 (46 tries, 179 goals)

https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2018/10/03/luke-signed-and-sealed-for-2019/

One Warrior

Bench
Isiah Papali'i re-signed until the end of 2020.

Another signing with Papali'i locked in
Vodafone Warriors 2018 NRL Rookie of the Year Isaiah Papali’i has capped a memorable week in his career by re-signing with the club until the end of the 2020 NRL season.

On Monday the promising second rower, just turned 20, was named in the Kiwis’ squad for the coming four-Test campaign against Australia and England as well as being selected for the Junior Kiwis for their clash against the Junior Kangaroos in the Trans-Tasman Triple Header at Mount Smart Stadium on Saturday, October 13.

Today he signed a deal which will take him through to a fourth NRL campaign with the Vodafone Warriors after impressing throughout his first full first-grade season.

He joins other young Vodafone Warriors products David Fusitu’a, Ken Maumalo, Jazz Tevaga and Bunty Afoa who have all recently re-signed.

“Isaiah is a great young prospect who has quickly established himself at NRL level,” said Vodafone Warriors head coach Stephen Kearney.

“He’s a wonderful example to players aiming to make it into the NRL coming through our system. He really impresses with his attitude and resilience.”

Papali’i finished his first full NRL season with 20 appearances taking his career tally to 25 after making his debut last year.

Used mainly as a starting second rower on the left edge, Papali’i averaged an impressive 64 minutes a game this year plus 78 metres and 29 tackles along with five try assists.

He made his international debut for Toa Samoa in this year’s Pacific Test against Mate Ma’a Tonga in Sydney.

In 2016, a 17-year-old Papali’i mixed rugby league and rugby union, making 11 appearances for the Vodafone Junior Warriors in the NYC (and representing the Junior Kiwis) while also starring for Mount Albert Grammar School’s title-winning First XV. He quickly moved up to become a regular for the Vodafone Warriors’ Intrust Super Premiership side in 2017 as well as debuting in the NRL.

He’s set to join the Kiwis in camp in Auckland this weekend.

ISAIAH PAPALI’I

Born: September 20, 1998
Birthplace: Auckland, NZ
Junior Clubs: Te Atatu Roosters, Richmond Rovers
Position: Second Row
Height: 182cm
Weight: 108kg
Rep Honours: Toa Samoa (2018), Junior Kiwis (2016, 2017)
NRL Debut: v Newcastle, Mount Smart Stadium, March 5, 2017 (Round 1)
Vodafone Warriors No: 215
NRL Career: 25 appearances (2017-2018)
NRL Points: 16 (4 tries)
ISP Career: 15 appearances (2017-2018)
ISP Points: 24 (6 tries)
NYC Career: 18 appearances (2016-2017)
NYC Points: 24 (6 tries)

https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2018/10/03/another-signing-with-papalii-locked-in/

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Don’t think so. Will Hopoate did the same and pretty sure his cap space wasn’t getting kept in place

Leber

Bench
Wonder if that means theres a couple of dollars spare for a desperate second rower without a club. Greg Eastwood etc.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
So in a nut shell:

Gain: Leeson Ah Mau

Losses: Cherrington, Gelling, Santo, Vete, Mannering, Lino, Vuna

While re-signing a bunch of dudes - Bunty, Fusi, Izzy, Roache, Satae, RTS, Jazz, Luke, Ken

Not sure if we have coin for anyone at this stage

Besides a big bopper or 2. We are fine in most departments. I worry with our halves depth with Lino not there for cover. We will possibly move some 2nd Rowers into the Front Row

TJ64

Juniors
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/manly-...the-mole/339b4cbe-bb1e-4f4c-8588-61224f73fde7

Up-and-coming Roosters heads across the ditch

The Roosters have lost promising centre Brendan Frei to the Warriors next year.

Frei has sport in his blood - his dad Harry played Sheffield Shield cricket for Queensland while brother Mitchell also played for the Roosters.

Unable to break into the Roosters’ crack backline, he has made the shift to the Warriors, who are far less formidable out wide.

The 22-year-old played for Roosters feeder club Wyong in the NSW Cup this year, and to be fair he didn’t set the world on fire, scoring just two tries in 19 games.

But he’s big and fast and a move to the Warriors’ fulltime squad could see him come of age in 2019.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Far less formidable out wide?

RTS,
Maumolo
Beale
Hiku
Fus
Ayshford
Kata

Good luck.
Anyone seen him in action?

Big Marn

Juniors
[QUOTE
The 22-year-old played for Roosters feeder club Wyong in the NSW Cup this year, and to be fair he didn’t set the world on fire, scoring just two tries in 19 games.
.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if his low try count is because he fed his winger. Wonder if we can track down the winger try count for that team.... Interesting pick up none the less.[/QUOTE]

Big Pete

Referee
The article says you signed Jackson Frei who spent the majority of 2018 playing Jersey Flegg. He played a handful of games in the NSW Cup as well, but the Roosters have a ridiculous amount of backrows coming through.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brendan is apart of the deal. He's more of a second row who moonlights in the centres ala Ryan Matterson & Mitch Aubusson.

They're not bad signings. The Warriors could do with some fresh blood in the backrow and Papali'i could do with some competition for that left edge spot.