What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Rule Amendments confirmed

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The NRL today announced changes to the rules which will come into effect from the 2019 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

Head of Football – Elite Competitions, Graham Annesley said the changes were aimed at increasing "ball in play" time and improving player safety.

The new rules for 2019 will include:

• A reduction of the scrum clock – reducing from 35 to 30 seconds

• A reduction of the drop-out clock – reducing from 30 to 25 seconds

• An increase to dangerous contact neck or head charges – with Grade 2 increasing to 300 points and Grade 3 increasing to 500 points (a Grade 1 charge will remain at 100 points)

Any player sent to the sin bin or sent off will be required to run from the field of play, taking the most direct route to the dressing room. Failure to do so may lead to Clubs being breached and fined under NRL Rules and/or offending players may be charged with Contrary Conduct under the NRL Judiciary Code

Allowing the Judiciary Panel to find a player guilty of an alternative charge when charged with a Shoulder Charge (e.g. Dangerous Contact)

Mr Annesley also confirmed that no change would be made to the number of interchange players for season 2019.

But he said further assessment will be conducted throughout the first half of next season, before a decision is made on any future reductions for 2020 onwards.

Mr Annesley said the amendments were designed to reduce the amount of stoppage time in games, increase the time the ball is in play and simplify operational practices and procedures.

The increased penalties for dangerous contact to neck and head follows a rise in the number of crusher tackles last season.

"There is clearly an unacceptable risk of injury from these tackles and we believe we need to have an adequate deterrent in place to improve player safety," Mr Annesley said.

"We have a world-class competition, with the 2018 season the closest in more than a decade," Mr Annesley said.

"But we can always improve and our aim with these rule amendments is to continue to deliver exciting and engaging matches for players, fans, broadcasters and all our stakeholders."

LINK: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/12/18/2019-season-rule-amendments/

SBD82

Coach
All good changes, except the shoulder charge one. That's a bit weird. Seems they're hedging their bets.

Just rewrite the rule if necessary and then enforce it without fear or favour.

Burns

First Grade
All seems okay?

That said, how often has there been a scrum/drop-out penalty?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
define ‘run from the field of play’????

too grey for mine. give them 15 seconds to be off the field, then go down the contrary conduct path. One mans run is another mans jog.
The whole point of it is to avoid the dawdling dickheads we've seen plenty of this year - as long as they aren't going at a snails pace and they're going in a straight line or thereabouts I think they'll be fine.

mave

Coach
Just another grey area for the likes of Cam Smith, etc, etc, to push to the limit.....whilst a mere mortal player will be punished for similar.

simmo05

Bench
Why not make it 10 seconds for scrums and drop outs. Try and counteract the bullshit bunker delays and intrduce some fatigue

beave

Coach
The whole point of it is to avoid the dawdling dickheads we've seen plenty of this year - as long as they aren't going at a snails pace and they're going in a straight line or thereabouts I think they'll be fine.

i get the point of the rule change mate, but we’ve seen time and time again f**kwit coaches bend the rules. It needs to be black and white imo by giving them a defined time limit from the moment the ref puts his hands towards the sideline.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Referees should warn (remind?) the players as they're walking off after a binning that they'll be watching and if they think the player is intentionally dawdling, the club will cop a fine.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Shame about the interchange but the speeding up rules are good.

One area that could make a massive difference, but would need worldwide agreement, would be to get rid of scrums. Knock ons are straight hand overs and kick to touch are tap by the defending team. Scrums are pointless, slow the game down, look ridiculous and are one of the last few obvious ties to Union. Do away with them I say!

AJB1102

First Grade
Shame about the interchange but the speeding up rules are good.

One area that could make a massive difference, but would need worldwide agreement, would be to get rid of scrums. Knock ons are straight hand overs and kick to touch are tap by the defending team. Scrums are pointless, slow the game down, look ridiculous and are one of the last few obvious ties to Union. Do away with them I say!

Do more with them, I say.

But yeah, wouldn't be missed.

Vee

First Grade
Glad the NRL are finally moving on my plan to reduce the amount of downtime. When the teams get used to it and the standing around starts up again, lop another 5 seconds off each. Repeat until the standing around is eliminated.

typicalfan

Coach
Sin bin and send off rule is simple. Any suggestion of anything other than a direct route from the field and upgrade the sin bin to a send off and if its a send off, add a week suspension. It would stop tomorrow.

Game_Breaker

Coach

Valheru

Coach
They should just restart play after a certain amount of time after a binning, say 5 seconds. If the player is still on the field so be it, if they get involved in anyway send him off.

siv

First Grade
Most adjustments are ok

But the sin bin running off rule that MAY result in a fine fails the "Grand Final Test"

And will need to be corrected

Canard

Immortal
Most adjustments are ok

But the sin bin running off rule that MAY result in a fine fails the "Grand Final Test"

And will need to be corrected

Probably never be an issue anyway.

Guaranteed that after all the whining by the crisis merchants, there will be virtually no sin bins this year.

siv

First Grade
They should just restart play after a certain amount of time after a binning, say 5 seconds. If the player is still on the field so be it, if they get involved in anyway send him off.

Actually if they get involved in the play its a automatic deduction of 2 competition points if they win or a fine if they lose

Latest posts