What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RM Cup & Sydney Shield

MountainMan

Juniors
Yeah Uni is a good fit, both in terms of proximity and heritage. We actually never had a formal discussion with Ryde Eastwood as their intention was always to feed Wests.
Its a good move for Wests,considering their excess players very rarely featured for Easts Campbelltown.

Tigers1986

Juniors
East Campbelltown are still feeding into Western Suburbs. Ryde-Eastwood might be the 'Balmain' link?

MountainMan

Juniors
East Campbelltown are still feeding into Western Suburbs. Ryde-Eastwood might be the 'Balmain' link?
I don’t know about “feeding” ..no East Campbelltown Shield player has ever moved up into the Wests RMC team.Thats going back to 2014 and onwards.
East rarely use/play the West players whom have been dropped as well.
It is a strange relationship,East are quite a successful club as well as having a host of former West RMC or Instrust players in their team.
I’d say the ever prideful GM of Wests would be a factor.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I don’t know about “feeding” ..no East Campbelltown Shield player has ever moved up into the Wests RMC team.Thats going back to 2014 and onwards.
East rarely use/play the West players whom have been dropped as well.
It is a strange relationship,East are quite a successful club as well as having a host of former West RMC or Instrust players in their team.
I’d say the ever prideful GM of Wests would be a factor.
The reason this is so interesting is because when WT and WSM were trumpeting the feeder system last off-season, they made a point of noting ECE are the feeder - but seemingly it is in name only.

imgunawin72

Juniors
The reason this is so interesting is because when WT and WSM were trumpeting the feeder system last off-season, they made a point of noting ECE are the feeder - but seemingly it is in name only.
From talking to blokes that have kids in the Wests Tigers flegg squad, if they don’t get picked for the flegg team they don’t want to play SS for east campbelltown eagles. Probably a balmain v magpies thing.
Its never been a happy merger

kbw

Bench
From talking to blokes that have kids in the Wests Tigers flegg squad, if they don’t get picked for the flegg team they don’t want to play SS for east campbelltown eagles. Probably a balmain v magpies thing.

I do agree with the nature if the ECE and Wests alliance being a bit different but I found u20s playerr not wanting to play SS (and Massey) is more an ego thing than anything else

MountainMan

Juniors
It does appea
I do agree with the nature if the ECE and Wests alliance being a bit different but I found u20s playerr not wanting to play SS (and Massey) is more an ego thing than anything else
Correct about the ego factor.
I believe the Shield and most definetly RMC are stronger competitions then 20s.
The teams which usually are full of 20s kids get flogged every week (with the only exception in recent memory being Moorebank this season)

The same used to happen with Wests RMC and the Tigers NSW Cup and 20s..excess players would be playing in the Group 6 competition instead of the RMC with Wests (prior to Wests having a shield team)

siv

First Grade
Should setup a Presidents Cup U22s layer

Being told to play RMC or SS is like telling kids your potential NRL career is over

When they hear this then there is a focus back on their education or long term job planning and just play part time in their junior A grade club with mates near home

Not many who get dropped to RMC or SS go onto play NRL

Plus there is the points system which inhibits growth in the standard of RMC

imgunawin72

Juniors

Being told to play RMC or SS is like telling kids your potential NRL career is over

When they hear this then there is a focus back on their education or long term job planning and just play part time in their junior A grade club with mates near home

I tend to disagree, there are plenty of kids that play SS or RMC that end up contracted to NRL clubs.
I think the standard of RMC has improved over the last few years, to the point that the gap between RMC and ISP is less.
If SS didn’t exist we would lose a lot of kids if they don’t get selected for 20’s. Not every kid will go back n play rubbish A grade.

imgunawin72

Juniors

The points system in RMC prevents the rich clubs like wenty stacking their team with ex 1st graders just to win the comp. this means more opportunities for up and coming players

siv

First Grade
The points system in RMC prevents the rich clubs like wenty stacking their team with ex 1st graders just to win the comp. this means more opportunities for up and coming players

But it also causes issues when a RMC players into ISP to replace an injured player

Lets say that person is out for 4 plus weeks he gains a large number of points value and causes issues when he goes back

So at ISP level instead of chosing 1 backup player you now use multiple

And you dont drop poor performing ISP players as well

Not mention in the last weeks of the comp when players refuse to play up so they dont get points impacting their RMC finals

kbw

Bench

I disagree as well, although that is the attitude of the players. The year the Roosters won the U20s nearly every one of those kids had played at Kingsgrove RM at some stage, if they hadn't they would not have won. It toughens then up as its much more physical than any u20s comp.
If they don't have the balls to man up against good RM cup players then they are hardly going to make it in the NRL

imgunawin72

Juniors
But it also causes issues when a RMC players into ISP to replace an injured player

Lets say that person is out for 4 plus weeks he gains a large number of points value and causes issues when he goes back

Not mention in the last weeks of the comp when players refuse to play up so they dont get points impacting their RMC finals
Yep I see your point, the points system has its faults but how else do you stop the richer clubs stacking their RMC teams with ex 1st graders?
Maybe the ISP teams should use the same system as the NRL, where they can only sign 30 players and those players are the only ones they can use??

rightleftin

Juniors

The PPIS for each player is set at the start of the season and the number of games played in ISP or NRL in the current season affects nothing until next season

rightleftin

Juniors

Most of the excess WT squad were playing for Ryde Eastwood U20s in combined comp.

siv

First Grade
I disagree as well, although that is the attitude of the players. The year the Roosters won the U20s nearly every one of those kids had played at Kingsgrove RM at some stage, if they hadn't they would not have won. It toughens then up as its much more physical than any u20s comp.
If they don't have the balls to man up against good RM cup players then they are hardly going to make it in the NRL

The issue is not standard of play but

Fulltime Professional structure v Part-Time structure

Eg training / venues / payments etc

There is a place for both

rightleftin

Juniors
The issue is not standard of play but

Fulltime Professional structure v Part-Time structure

Eg training / venues / payments etc

There is a place for both

The only full time professional structure in Australia is the NRL. All of ISP, RMC, SS and Flegg are part time with commensurate match payments, except that a few full time guys will have to play ISP.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Any news on the ISP draw? Usually we get it around this time, and the ISC has released their one.

I'm hoping that the country round returns, plus the 'magic' concept they used this season.

Latest posts