What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 SG Ball & Matts

Even though its only round 3 this weekend there are some surprising ladder positions especially in SG BALL. Central Coast looked good again on the weekend. Parramatta looked like they could have scored whenever they pleased against Illawarra. Dragons sitting on top with a buy this weekend!! Although they only beat Perth the last win against a tigers team that just put 40 past Canberra might suggest they are not to bad this year, They have BYE, Manly, Canberra, Norths in the next 4 rounds. Newcastle sitting on 0 points? and the Magpies giving the Roosters a touch up.

Really good to see a close competition. I still think Manly or Illawarra will win in

footyhead1

Juniors
Really good to see a close competition. I still think Manly or Illawarra will win in
Manly will be up there but Illawarra? I think Parramatta will be in the mix again, outside of those two its relatively close. Central Coast have been really good so far and the sharks are always looming around.

footyhead1

Juniors
With 4 games to go we could be looking at a refreshing rotation of teams in the finals Especially in S.G. Ball. Excluding Manly Parramatta Cronulla and illawarra of course but having a current top 8 that includes Central Coast, Balmain and especially St George is great for the competition.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
With 4 games to go we could be looking at a refreshing rotation of teams in the finals Especially in S.G. Ball. Excluding Manly Parramatta Cronulla and illawarra of course but having a current top 8 that includes Central Coast, Balmain and especially St George is great for the competition.
If there's one thing I've figured out about these comps it's that anything can change very quickly. Dogs and Dragons were top two weeks ago in Matts and have slid big time for example

footyhead1

Juniors
If there's one thing I've figured out about these comps it's that anything can change very quickly. Dogs and Dragons were top two weeks ago in Matts and have slid big time for example
I think you mean S.G. Ball and the Dogs have dropped back but the Dragons still sit in the 4. Dogs will struggle to make the Finals with games against Parramatta and Central Coast coming up. St George will need to beat Norths this week then they have a tough home run with Illawarra, Penrith, Cronulla however those sides are not the powers they used to be especially Penrith.

big hit!

Bench
8 different clubs representing the u16s and 18s semi finals this Saturday 27/4.

SG BALL
(1) Manly vs Central Coast (3) - Campbelltown 1pm
(2) Illawarra vs Parramatta (4) - Campbelltown 11.30am

Manly and Illawarra heavy favourites to proceed.

MATTYS
(1) Newcastle vs Penrith (6) - St Marys 12pm
(2) Souths vs Canterbury (4) - Campbelltown 2.30pm

A little less open in the 16s. Panthers had a surprisingly big win last week vs Manly. Souths vs Canterbury is a coin toss too.

Grand Finals at Western Sydney Stadium Saturday 4th May

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
8 different clubs representing the u16s and 18s semi finals this Saturday 27/4.

SG BALL
(1) Manly vs Central Coast (3) - Campbelltown 1pm
(2) Illawarra vs Parramatta (4) - Campbelltown 11.30am

Manly and Illawarra heavy favourites to proceed.

MATTYS
(1) Newcastle vs Penrith (6) - St Marys 12pm
(2) Souths vs Canterbury (4) - Campbelltown 2.30pm

A little less open in the 16s. Panthers had a surprisingly big win last week vs Manly. Souths vs Canterbury is a coin toss too.

Grand Finals at Western Sydney Stadium Saturday 4th May
Picky I know but this weekend is preliminary finals - semis were last week.

SG Ball roadmap

D40UQWoVUAAg-ZY.jpg:large

H Matts roadmap

D40TmlwU8AA01Pk.jpg:large

Tigers1986

Juniors
So the grand final day is at Bankwest? I'm hoping the Wests Tigers Tarsha Cup team win through so I can have a reason to go back to the ground.

Timmah

Staff member
So the grand final day is at Bankwest? I'm hoping the Wests Tigers Tarsha Cup team win through so I can have a reason to go back to the ground.
Seems unlikely, I imagine they'd have announced it if it were to be the case. I'd expect it'd be somewhere like Leichhardt or Kogarah. We'll find out on Saturday or Sunday most likely.

big hit!

Bench

It's normally been Leichhardt in last few seasons (one was at Penrith), but the word I have is it will be at WSS

Timmah

Staff member
Never mind I've just been able to confirm Bankwest is the venue :ok_hand:

big hit!

Bench
Would the grand final be a Saturday or Sunday?

Saturday
----------------------------------
Preliminary Finals results

SG Ball u18
Manly 24 - 12 Central Coast
Illawarra 26 - Parramatta 22

Manly were down 6-12 at HT. A bit of cockiness from the CC boys in the tunnel came back to bite them. A scoreless 2nd half from them as Manly overrun them in the 2nd half in front of their rabid fans. Can't see Illawarra beating them next week. They needed a last gasp try to defeat Parra. Heartbreak for the Parra boys but that's sudden death footy.

Prediction: Manly 28 - Illawarra 10

HM Matts u16
Newcastle 20 - 6 Penrith
South Sydney 30 - 36 Canterbury

Didn't see the Newcastle/Penrith match as it was at St Marys. Souths got the first try and signs looked ominous for Canterbury, but 3 or 4 successive sets of penalties and subsequent poor defending from Souths had Canterbury 20-6 up in the first half. Comeback seemed on the cards but ill-discipline once again cost the young Rabbits.

Prediction: Newcastle 22 - Canterbury 16

ALX25

Juniors
NSWRL Harold Matthews Under-16s Representative Team
  1. Joseph Suaalii (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
  2. Terrell Kalo Kalo (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
  3. Fletcher Myers (Newcastle Knights)
  4. Paul Alamoti (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
  5. Turoa Williams (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
  6. Joseph O’Neill (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
  7. Jonah Pezet (Newcastle Knights)
  8. Noah Reed (Newcastle Knights)
  9. Noah Nailagoliva (Newcastle Knights)
  10. Davvy Moale (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
  11. Brandon Tumeth (Balmain Tigers)
  12. Oryn Keeley (Newcastle Knights)
  13. Max Bradbury (Newcastle Knights)
  14. Kobie Wilson (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)
  15. Faresa Palu (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
  16. Tristyn Ball (Western Suburbs Magpies)
  17. Lachlan Crouch (Newcastle Knights)
  18. Israel Ahofono (Manly Waringah Sea Eagles)
  19. David Langi (Parramatta Eels)
  20. William Taliai (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
Coach: Luke Vella

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2019/05/13/nswrl-announces-harold-matthews-representative-team/

Timmah

Staff member
Illawarra got smashed in the U18 final on the weekend, Tweed won 52-14 from memory.