What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020/21 Offseason - Knights

Still Nutty

Juniors
I think it doesn't really matter at the moment who lines up in the outside backs. Only Best is nailed on. The others all offer something and they won't win or cost us a game.

On the other hand, we need to figure out our halves problem. That's priority number 1. We then need to figure out the depth problem in the forwards. Starting pack looks fericous but then it drops right off.

If Mann really does leave, I guess Watson, Crossland and Hoy will share the 14. That's fine but the earlier we get Watson/Mann sorted the better also.

The sad part is that we haven't seen anywhere near the best of Best this season because 95% of the time he has been used as an extra forward battering ram...and not as a Centre.

That comes down to a few things that have compounded our problems this year:

• a game plan that didn't have any focus on attack 95 % of the time - 5 forward hit ups and a midfield end over end bomb
  • no stable halves combinations/spine to develop any sort of back line cohesion or fluency in an ad lib style of attack
  • when we did use the ball, a very flat attacking structure that saw way too many plays get pulled up for a forward pass to the wing/outside centre as the last pass
  • Poor service by the halves when we looked to run a backs play - Mann in particular died with the ball way too often down short side plays by not being a confident passer or poor timing when he had the opportunity to put Best, Shiba, Tuala, Toa, Lee, into holes
  • Running the 'other' one dimensional back line play that did work (because every defensive coach in the comp planned for) was ...wait for for Pearce to pass to Fitzgibbon running a predictable line and tackle him
I think our focus on developing a strong defensive basis was OK and was of value in the first half of the season, even with our limited attacking variety - the problem was that other teams figured us out pretty quickly and that meant we never threatened in attack, so we fatigued from no repeat sets that started to limit our defensive capability against sides that could build pressure and get repeat sets.
From there our line speed and intensity dropped , we started giving away cheap 6 again sets and the cycle continued.

When you have weapons like Best, Ponga, etc. and you don't find ways to use them effectively then you are not going to be anywhere near a competitive NRL team

Old dog

Juniors
Our backs seem ok, 1-5, but we still have a problem with right centre, if given that Best is left centre with Lee on wing then who is on right, Tuala is a good player but his worst games were at right, so not suited, Shibs was ok but not consistent but with more experience may fit the bill, reluctant to move Hunt from wing to centre but he might be best option. Other option is Mann at centre if not needed at 6 or 9. Toa is option at Right wing if Hunt is moved to centre.
Right centre is a problem but we at least have many options

Yosh

Coach
Our backs seem ok, 1-5, but we still have a problem with right centre, if given that Best is left centre with Lee on wing then who is on right, Tuala is a good player but his worst games were at right, so not suited, Shibs was ok but not consistent but with more experience may fit the bill, reluctant to move Hunt from wing to centre but he might be best option. Other option is Mann at centre if not needed at 6 or 9. Toa is option at Right wing if Hunt is moved to centre.
Right centre is a problem but we at least have many options

No doubt but I doubt we can fix every problem we have over one off season. Let's just put out the big fires first. Get the halves sorted, get some more decent forwards in and get a good attacking structure in place. Then I think we should think about the rest.

There was a post somewhere in this forum about knights fans overrating knights players. Well I think Tuala as a centre is hugely overrated by some on here. In particular defence is suspect. I think he’s a solid wing option but he fell off a few crucial tackles throughout the year.
Personally I think by the end of the year our best 1-5 will be;
1. Ponga
2. Lee/Toa
3. Best
4. Hunt
5. Young/Toa

Hunt may not be quite as elusive as Tuala but he is solid AF and I’d feel confident that he could handle any centre in the game defensively.
Agree

I cant understand why AOB persisted with Tuala at centre for so long when Hunt was outstanding for us there back in 2018

perverse

Referee
I thought Tuala started the year really well, but like a lot of our guys faded as the year rolled on until he was actually kinda diabolical by the last month.

He earned his spot for the year in those first 10 or so weeks, and we had some injuries in the backline that encouraged consistency in selections where possible.

ryana87

Juniors
Watson training to play 13 apparently

8. Klemmer
9. Brailey
10. Dan
11. Frizzell
12. Barnett
13. Watson

14. Mann
15. Jacob
16. Fitz
17.???...... Saulo?.... King?

dsc09314.jpg

:)

Burwood

Bench
Will be interesting to see our social media presence now that Nathan Ryan has been let go. I thought we’d been leading the way over the last few years with him at the helm.