What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Dragons season review

SBD82

Coach
So what are you saying? You’d be happy with a result similar to O'Brien’s with the Titans? A gallant 9th place?

I think we can make the finals if we get off to a good start.
It’s a curious way of conversing to ask someone what they mean, answer the question for them, and then respond to the answer that you’ve created.

Maddragon99

Juniors
It’s a curious way of conversing to ask someone what they mean, answer the question for them, and then respond to the answer that you’ve created.

Not curious at all. Just trying to lead you to the obvious conclusion

ALSGI

Bench
First October PH Monday in many years I haven’t woken up with a hangover and trying to remember who won the GF!

It’s been a f**king awful 2020 in so many ways from the Bushfires to Covid which made our shitness pale into insignificance in comparison but still didn’t make our Dragons plight easier to accept if that makes sense.

From 2nd last in 2019 to top 12 this year we’re on the rise!

McMoron and his apprentice gone is a relief, already excited about changes in coaching staff and the anticipation in signing/releasing news over the next few months is something that’s keeping me interested.

Only other good thing in reviewing 2020 is Lomax, Dufty and Rava improvement and our other juniors in the last rounds.

So looking forward to what’s next.

Maddragon99

Juniors
First October PH Monday in many years I haven’t woken up with a hangover and trying to remember who won the GF!

It’s been a f**king awful 2020 in so many ways from the Bushfires to Covid which made our shitness pale into insignificance in comparison but still didn’t make our Dragons plight easier to accept if that makes sense.

From 2nd last in 2019 to top 12 this year we’re on the rise!

McMoron and his apprentice gone is a relief, already excited about changes in coaching staff and the anticipation in signing/releasing news over the next few months is something that’s keeping me interested.

Only other good thing in reviewing 2020 is Lomax, Dufty and Rava improvement and our other juniors in the last rounds.

So looking forward to what’s next.

Well said. I’m trying to decide if we’ll be like the Titans next year with a gallant 9th place or the Knights with a gallant one & out in the finals.

Both the Titans & Knights are ahead of us in development but yet both teams are well below the Rabbits & Raiders.

I think we’ll definitely improve next year but we’ll have to remain patient because there’s a huge step up to be competitive in the finals.

BLM01

First Grade
Ahh Yes,
Dufty..was not till Flanno got to him and played the role of a coach..funny his game improved
Zac..being moved (by whose recommendation/) and given time to shine in his best position...funny will Mary take the credit developing Zac into getting picked in origin 27 as a CENTRE!

Dragon David

First Grade
2020. What a year! Same old, same old as for previous years after Bennett. Overall performance for players and coaches was poor again in my view. Rule changes, Covid 19 bubble, affected all teams and possibly worse for some teams.

It was good that the games resumed and we had footy again.

There were several standout performances by some of our players, but not too many.

Best thing that happened for us in 2020 is the ousting of Mary then all of the others to make way for a new regime. Hopefully the new guys do positive things to bring back pride to play for the Dragons, that's what I would love to see.

We do not know what the pandemic will be doing in the world in 2021 and with fingers crossed the worst will be over and we all can get back to normality somehow. I hope we have a full season of footy and we win many games, even though it will take time to be a force, but we will.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Next year should not be a rebuild year as Saints have a decent squad to make the 8 even top 4 if they all play to their potential. They don't need to start from scratch to get a decent spine from scratch. The spine of McInness, Hunt and Duffty is pretty solid if it fires. 2021 will be a year of getting the players to perform to the level they are capable of and if they do that it will surely get them a top 8 spot. I don't expect a Grand Final but at least Finals footy as a minimum. If JDB gets cleared then Saints will be a totally different side to what it has been the last 2 years. I would not be surprised to see them in the top 4. Hopefully 1 more month to get this JDB mess over and done with. I really hope it does not drag on. That will be the key to the Dragons having a great year in 2021 not new signings. JDB will be better than any signing Saints or any other team for that matter make next season if he is cleared.

Dragon David

First Grade
Next year should not be a rebuild year as Saints have a decent squad to make the 8 even top 4 if they all play to their potential. They don't need to start from scratch to get a decent spine from scratch. The spine of McInness, Hunt and Duffty is pretty solid if it fires. 2021 will be a year of getting the players to perform to the level they are capable of and if they do that it will surely get them a top 8 spot. I don't expect a Grand Final but at least Finals footy as a minimum. If JDB gets cleared then Saints will be a totally different side to what it has been the last 2 years. I would not be surprised to see them in the top 4. Hopefully 1 more month to get this JDB mess over and done with. I really hope it does not drag on. That will be the key to the Dragons having a great year in 2021 not new signings. JDB will be better than any signing Saints or any other team for that matter make next season if he is cleared.
I agree about JDB. He is the key and the player we missed for the past 2 years. If he played, we would have certainly won more games and maybe finals as his presence on the field would have lifted the spirits of the other guys. If he is cleared, then all we need is him and maybe that Po guy from the Roosters to get 2021 off to a good start.

possm

Coach
I would say that the Dragons have about 6 young juniors that should be selected in the 17 for 2021:

1. Ramsey
2. Feagai
3. Lomax
4. Feagai
5. Ravalawa or Schiller
6. Sullivan
7. Clune or Hunt
8. Pono F
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. T Sims
12. Joe O
13. De Belin

14. Napa
15. Kerr
16. Blacker
17. Ford

Last edited:

redv13

Bench
Duff deserves to start 2021 at #1, desperation in defence the area that needs most improvement
I think Dufty deserves first crack at fb under Griffin but if the same issues keep popping up in the first 6-8 games then it’s time for someone else

possm

Coach
Duff deserves to start 2021 at #1, desperation in defence the area that needs most improvement
Dufty may start but from my point of view, he falls short in defence, positional play, body size and confidently taking the high ball. I am of the view it is Dufty to reserve grade to assess his suitability as a five-eighth.

ALSGI

Bench
There’s plenty of things that concern me about JDB and there’s no certainty about him being available by Round 1 if at all.

I’m guessing there’s decent cap money put aside for him but what if he’s not available? It’s a big punt when the money could have been thrown at another quality signing.

Then if he does become available there’s the whole question of what sort of player he will be after 2 years with no game time. There’s fit and there’s match fit. And despite his fitness his body is going to be 2 years older and there’s no fighting father time in terms of speed, reflex and injury recovery etc.

He may well be mentally shot after two years in limbo, an actual trial (however long that takes) and all the media that goes with it. He may well get cleared to play and come back with a point to prove, better, smarter and fitter than before.

Either way, huge gamble to take in terms of 2021 when the money could’ve been thrown at a Welch or Hetherington.

Hope it doesn’t bite us and he comes back with a point to prove to his family, club and NRL.....but it’s a massive risk to take rather than let him go and go after another marquee forward.

I would say that the Dragons have about 6 young juniors that should be selected in the 17 for 2021:

1. Ramsey
2. Feagai
3. Lomax
4. Feagai
5. Ravalawa or Schiller
6. Sullivan
7. Clune or Hunt
8. Pono F
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. T Sims
12. Joe O
13. De Belin

14. Napa
15. Kerr
16. Blacker
17. Ford
Love that backline

Sullivan can play 7, he a very good organiser, something that a lot of people dont realise. Did it all through the lower grades. Hunt will make a good running 6.

Dragon David

First Grade
There’s plenty of things that concern me about JDB and there’s no certainty about him being available by Round 1 if at all.

I’m guessing there’s decent cap money put aside for him but what if he’s not available? It’s a big punt when the money could have been thrown at another quality signing.

Then if he does become available there’s the whole question of what sort of player he will be after 2 years with no game time. There’s fit and there’s match fit. And despite his fitness his body is going to be 2 years older and there’s no fighting father time in terms of speed, reflex and injury recovery etc.

He may well be mentally shot after two years in limbo, an actual trial (however long that takes) and all the media that goes with it. He may well get cleared to play and come back with a point to prove, better, smarter and fitter than before.

Either way, huge gamble to take in terms of 2021 when the money could’ve been thrown at a Welch or Hetherington.

Hope it doesn’t bite us and he comes back with a point to prove to his family, club and NRL.....but it’s a massive risk to take rather than let him go and go after another marquee forward.
Agreed ALSGI. A lot of uncertainty with JDB. One way or another, all will come out in the end.