What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Origin I - QLD 18-14 NSW @ Adelaide

Series: QLD v NSW

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

Origin 2020 - Series
Queensland v New South Wales
Adelaide Oval, Adelaide
Wednesday 4 November 2020

Kickoff 8:10pm AEDT (7:40pm SA local)

TL-QLDM20.png

1. Alexander Brimson 2. Xavier Coates 18. Kurt Capewell 4. Dane Gagai 5. Phillip Sami 6. Cameron Munster 7. Daly Cherry-Evans 8. Christian Welch 9. Jake Friend 10. Josh Papali'i 11. Felise Kaufusi 12. Coen Hess 13. Tino Fa'asuamaleaui
Interchange: 14. Ben Hunt 15. Lindsay Collins 16. Jai Arrow 17. Jaydn Su'A

TL-NSWM20.png

1. James Tedesco 2. Daniel Tupou 3. Clinton Gutherson 4. Jack Wighton 5. Josh Addo-Carr 6. Luke Keary 7. Nathan Cleary 8. Daniel Saifiti 9. Damien Cook 10. Junior Paulo 11. Boyd Cordner 12. Tyson Frizell 13. Jake Trbojevic
Interchange: 14. Cody Walker 15. Payne Haas 16. Cameron Murray 17. Angus Crichton

F4p3I6i.jpg

Referees: Gerard Sutton
Sideline Officials: Chris Butler, Todd Smith
Video Referees: Steve Chiddy

Last edited by a moderator:

Bazal

Post Whore
Tupou is the only NSW back that will take a hit up.

Still more hitups than QLD's backs will take.

Actually that said Gutho and Simple Jack both don't mind a run so I don't agree anyway. Granted they get fewer chances than the wingers but still

Everyone talking about how sh*t the QLD side is (and it is) but there's a lot of choke/derp in the NSW halves. Cleary has thus far proven to choke in big games. That's a worry but NSW should have far too much class.

Last edited:

soc123_au

Staff member
Everyone talking about how sh*t the QLD side is (and it is) but there's a lot of choke/derp/ on the NSW halves. Cleary has thus far proven to choke in big games. That's a worry but NSW should have far too much class.
Yeah, It was a massive choke from Cleary when he scored 3 tries in the first final. The field goal to ice it was a dud play too. He had a poor GF over all, but he wasn't alone. He still did more than Munster.

Bazal

Post Whore
Yeah, It was a massive choke from Cleary when he scored 3 tries in the first final. The field goal to ice it was a dud play too. He had a poor GF over all, but he wasn't alone. He still did more than Munster.

I don't reckon he's demonstrated much as a big game or creative player tbh, but let's be honest all he has to do here is kick and defend well. And those are things he almost always does well.

Actually it's a pretty creative Blues side. Tedesco offers plenty, you've got arguably the best ball playing fullback at centre plus a guy who's made a successful shift to five-eighth on the other side. Cook & Keary are obviously highly skilled, Paulo in the front row is more creative than some halves and then Walker and Murray on the bench.

soc123_au

Staff member
I don't reckon he's demonstrated much as a big game or creative player tbh, but let's be honest all he has to do here is kick and defend well. And those are things he almost always does well.

Actually it's a pretty creative Blues side. Tedesco offers plenty, you've got arguably the best ball playing fullback at centre plus a guy who's made a successful shift to five-eighth on the other side. Cook & Keary are obviously highly skilled, Paulo in the front row is more creative than some halves and then Walker and Murray on the bench.

I agree with you. The comparisons to Thurston in the media leading into the GF were ridiculous. My point was that he hasn't choked in the big games. For the most part he has done exactly what was asked of him.
In the GF apart from the intercept pass he was a non entity for 50 minutes, but to be fair not too many halves are going to dominate during the run of play Penrith endured due to dumb errors, dumb penalties & not getting a 50/50 look like even going there way. In the last 30 the worm turned with the errors easing a touch & more favourable treatment from the officials. He played pretty well in that part & tried to get into the game. It's also difficult to know what the game plan was & what he was trying to achieve. the whole team seemed to go away from what they were doing most of the year. Ivan would have to answer that one though.

shear_joy9

Coach
In the last 30 the worm turned with the errors easing a touch & more favourable treatment from the officials. He played pretty well in that part & tried to get into the game. It's also difficult to know what the game plan was & what he was trying to achieve. the whole team seemed to go away from what they were doing most of the year. Ivan would have to answer that one though.

the game was over at that point. The storm's players minds were on hoisting the trophy and smoking cigars.

soc123_au

Staff member
the game was over at that point. The storm's players minds were on hoisting the trophy and smoking cigars.
Nah, the Storm aren't a side that clocks off early. The final score also shows it wasn't over. Cleary is never going to be Joey Johns, but he aint Mitch Pearce either. He has a bit of Cooper Cronk about him & that isn't a bad thing at all.

shear_joy9

Coach
Nah, the Storm aren't a side that clocks off early. The final score also shows it wasn't over. Cleary is never going to be Joey Johns, but he aint Mitch Pearce either. He has a bit of Cooper Cronk about him & that isn't a bad thing at all.

his lack of creativity will be his downfall. When his 5/8 and hooker aren't making breaks and creating try's Cleary has nothing.

soc123_au

Staff member
his lack of creativity will be his downfall. When his 5/8 and hooker aren't making breaks and creating try's Cleary has nothing.
His creativity has improved a lot this year. 17 try assists is handy. In the Origin team it's not a big concern though, there is more than enough creativity in the side. All he needs to do is have his kicking game on song & defend well.
Still, if he doesn't set up or score a heap of trys he will be called a dud.