What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Origin I - QLD 18-14 NSW @ Adelaide

Series: QLD v NSW

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gUt

Coach
My NSW supporting mate says of NSW: "Qld would never drop 4-5 incumbents after winning a series. NSW is being arrogant." I think maybe Qld couldn't do that even if it wanted to, but maybe he's right and we have some hope.

King hit

Coach
I think he's earned his place, so long as he can stay healthy.

By no means convinced they will. Bennett has lifted average sides before, and Fittler has picked a team that is way out of whack. And most of all, Queensland need to win to put some interest (read money) back into the concept. With 5 of the Roosters side that conceded 60 in the final round, NSW should be quite adept at this sort of thing.
2 straight defeats and QLD are losing interest for the sake of the game. Just imagine if it gets to 8

My NSW supporting mate says of NSW: "Qld would never drop 4-5 incumbents after winning a series. NSW is being arrogant." I think maybe Qld couldn't do that even if it wanted to, but maybe he's right and we have some hope.

The team for Origins 2 and 3 last year (as named) for NSW was -

1 James Tedesco (vc) (Sydney Roosters)
2 Blake Ferguson (Parramatta Eels)
3 Tom Trbojevic (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)
4 Jack Wighton (Canberra Raiders)
5 Josh Addo-Carr (Melbourne Storm)
6 James Maloney (Penrith Panthers)
7 Nathan Cleary (Penrith Panthers)
8 Daniel Saifiti (Newcastle Knights)
9 Damien Cook (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
10 Paul Vaughan (St George Illawarra Dragons)
11 Boyd Cordner (c) (Sydney Roosters)
12 Tyson Frizell (St George Illawarra Dragons)
13 Jake Trbojevic (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles) Interchange
14 Dale Finucane (Melbourne Storm)
15 Tariq Sims (St George Illawarra Dragons)
16 Cameron Murray (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
17 Wade Graham (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks).

Of those: Ferguson is unavailable due to injury; same for Tom Trbojevic; Maloney was not available as he was playing in the UK.

Hence you are really talking about Paul Vaughan, Dale Finucane (who was carrying injuries during the finals series), Tariq Sims and Wade Graham.

I thought Sims form when I saw him play was scratchy this past season, Graham looked a bit off the pace at times, but have NFI about Vaughan's form.

The guys they picked were in good form for most of the 2020 season.

Also Qld have always gone the 'pick and stick" routine as they usually have a smaller pool of p[layers to draw on in a number of positions.

Last edited:

The_Frog

First Grade
Injured for half of game 2 and missed game 3.

but have NFI about Vaughan's form.

In a side that won 7 from 20, one of those gifted to them by the ultimate premiers, a side that nonetheless has 4 players considered good enough to make the extended squads for this game, someone must have performed poorly.

Last edited:

Reflector

Juniors
The team for Origins 2 and 3 last year (as named) for NSW was -

1 James Tedesco (vc) (Sydney Roosters)
2 Blake Ferguson (Parramatta Eels)
3 Tom Trbojevic (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)
4 Jack Wighton (Canberra Raiders)
5 Josh Addo-Carr (Melbourne Storm)
6 James Maloney (Penrith Panthers)
8 Daniel Saifiti (Newcastle Knights)
9 Damien Cook (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
10 Paul Vaughan (St George Illawarra Dragons)
11 Boyd Cordner (c) (Sydney Roosters)
12 Tyson Frizell (St George Illawarra Dragons)
13 Jake Trbojevic (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles) Interchange
14 Dale Finucane (Melbourne Storm)
15 Tariq Sims (St George Illawarra Dragons)
16 Cameron Murray (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
17 Wade Graham (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks).

Of those: Ferguson is unavailable due to injury; same for Tom Trbojevic; Maloney was not available as he was playing in the UK.

Hence you are really talking about Paul Vaughan, Dale Finucane (who was carrying injuries during the finals series), Tariq Sims and Wade Graham.

I thought Sims form when I saw him play was scratchy this past season, Graham looked a bit off the pace at times, but have NFI about Vaughan's form.

The guys they picked were in good form for most of the 2020 season.

Also Qld have always gone the 'pick and stick" routine as they usually have a smaller pool of p[layers to draw on in a number of positions.

Bingo. It's like priding yourself on going out and not spending like a drunken sailor compared to some of your mates, when the fact is your mates are flush with cash and you're broke.

some11

Referee
Qld are so loyal, and always pick and stick!*

*when they're winning, and when the players they are sticking with are future hall of famers
Even the most die hard qlders will admit this.

I only got into supporting league in my 20s so basically when qld's golden era started, I bought into the "NSW don't get origin" shit. Truth is they were physically and mentally abused by some of the greatest players of all time. Which kinda makes 2014 almost flabbergasting to me. How the f**k do you lose a series to Josh Reynolds and Hodkinson? embarrassing.

but have NFI about Vaughan's form.

He was the biggest on field disappointment for the Dragons this season for mine. Played most games like someone had cut his nuts off.

With our old warhorse Graham in the twilight of his career, and Kerr looking to establish himself, Vaughan should have been the absolute Trojan in the pack. But for whatever reason, he was generally flat.

The sealer was the 2-week suspension for breaching Covid protocols by going to a cafe. That’s an attitude issue.

I get some players have found it extremely difficult under the Covid conditions of this season. Maybe he’s one of them. But he’s been an absolute shadow of the player he was 2-3 years ago who was one of the best props in the comp.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
So do we get an actual first grade centre now? Guess if they cant give a token aus jersey to somone in the gf winning side that wouldnt get a look in any other time then this needed to suffice.

Just need hess to tear something during the warm up

Are they calling parts of the game, or are they doing an hour special after fulltime?

From what I found in this article (https://www.mediaweek.com.au/tv-guide-state-of-origin-2020-on-nine-and-fox-league/) it says -

Comedy duo Roy and HG have joined Wide World of Sports for the 2020 State of Origin series to deliver a special segment for all three games revisiting their greatest memories in the 40-year history of the series.

It would appear to be pre-recorded as I found a link for it on the Nine Now website - https://www.9now.com.au/nrl-premiership/2020/clip-ckh00v01000010io0v6iniv0l