What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Origin II - NSW 34-10 QLD @ ANZ

Series: NSW v QLD

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lockyno1

Post Whore
Team selection was a lot better too

a) Paulo suits being off the bench he’s an impact prop, Haas isn’t.
b) Cody Walker was the form 5/8th in the comp he was always going to take pressure off Cleary more
b) Yeo is a better second rower than Cordner this year

Fittler made glaring errors game 1, didn’t game 2.

Playing off the front foot, any decent half can do it. The great ones can play off the back foot as well, The Chin still has yet to show he can.

Pearce was unlucky, during Qld's golden run, he was usually playing behind a beaten pack.

Pearce played 1 SOO game in 2008 and 2 in 2010 which are the only years I’d say Qld had a better forward pack.

2011 onwards, NSW were clearly better in the forwards.

Last edited:

isaiah

Bench
Would've been interesting to see how much the dynamic of that game would've changed in Munster stayed on the field. I'm not convinced Qld would've won, but could they have kept the scoreline more respectable?

Awesome to see Cleary finally deliver- and how! I mentioned to the mates I watched the game with that even Darren Lockyer was slated for delivering sub-par Origin performances into his late 20's before he turned things around, so hopefully last nights' masterclass gives Nathan the confidence he needs to bottle his performance and unleash it again next week. Cody was awesome too, so good to see deadly 4-pronged attacking raids featuring himself, Fox, Cook and Teddy. It seemed like every time they got the ball and went themselves they ate up the metres or scored. Gutho also deserves a mention- much improved from Game 1 and unlucky not to score a try at least once.

Best of all is they could do this not just up the middle of the field but on the flanks as well (although why they persisted trying to attack the left flank unsuccessfully 3 times in a row didn't make sense. Why try that when attacking on the right via Fox was coming up with the gold for them?) I can see this being a real challenge for Bennett heading into the decider because even if Qld get numbers defending one of those lanes, there's agile players on the other, lesser-marked sides who can scoot the ball up instead and get within scoring range.

Qld are going to have the home crowd advantage and (most likely) the 50/50's in their favour next week and I'd expect them to aim up with pride on the line. But if NSW can maintain their composure and rely on the skill of their backs I give them a real shot at wrapping up the series.
Funny that supposedly Munster actually passed the HIA but was kept off because the way he wobbled after getting up. Bennett, master tactician if we win this series.

isaiah

Bench
Just watched the game. My highlight of the day was meeting Robbie Farah and his hot missus then getting spoiler updates at half and full time while at work.

Watched the game with a couple of quiet ones and NSW played like the team that was expected to play in game 1. I was cheering so hard for Brown to put one on Friend's chin and seeing Haas actually have a go was very surprising. The Chin was superb and it was nice to see the whole team play with some energy.
QLD looked deflated after Munster didn't return and looked like the couldn't be f**ked playing after watching DCE and Hunt derp it up. I felt sorry for Sami who had a shocker.

It sets up a choke of epic proportions for next week!
I felt sorry for Sami who had his head attacked by the fox on the dead ball then stood over by some tough man forward over the sideline later. He had chances after those to fight grub with grub but showed no aggression. Might be the wrong type of personality for this. Could we one day put Keenan hipgrave or Cory horsburgh on his wing?

Reflector

Juniors
The only people worth feeding on this commentary team are Sterlo and (Holds back Vomit) Billy Slater.

Am I the only one who thought Slater started dick-riding Cleary before he'd done anything to warrant it last night?

_Johnsy

Referee
I felt sorry for Sami who had his head attacked by the fox on the dead ball then stood over by some tough man forward over the sideline later. He had chances after those to fight grub with grub but showed no aggression. Might be the wrong type of personality for this. Could we one day put Keenan hipgrave or Cory horsburgh on his wing?
Funny how you pick one out of any number of sly forearms on an opposition players head from both sides. Behaviour like Hodges, Thaiday Tate, Bird, Gal?

As you said, I just don’t think he has the “personality” for origin, or the ability.

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
That intimidation factor is dead in the game, I mean last night Jack Friend slapped Nathan Brown and niggled Junior Paulo, back before the no punching rule do you think Friend would try to niggle a guy who's got 40kg on him and has actual boxing experience?

Saxon

Bench
Funny that supposedly Munster actually passed the HIA but was kept off because the way he wobbled after getting up. Bennett, master tactician if we win this series.
Funny how many people don't know the rules. Obvious signs of concussion such as apparent loss of consciousness or staggering are level 1 indicators to the NRL and club doctors and mandate that a player should not return regardless of HIA testing results.
Queensland team doctor Dr Matt Hislop revealed Munster passed his head injury assessment but was not allowed to return to play because of the severity of his initial reaction on the field.

“Just wanted to correct the report that Munster ‘failed’ his HIA assessment in the medical room. He passed (compared to baseline) but that doesn’t matter. He was Cat 1 based on poor balance as demonstrated on the replay, meaning regardless of his HIA he could not return tonight,” Hislop wrote on Twitter.

Speaking of staggering, how did Frizelle not get penalised for that?

Last edited: