What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Origin III - QLD 20-14 NSW @ Suncorp

Series: QLD v NSW

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Seriously, what will it take to get the bullshit out of this game. Kafusi should have been binned! He was a merkin in the grand final, he was a merkin in each game of origin.

Your contribution to this thread and those before it are greatly appreciated. Thank you

Reflector

Juniors
The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that in the pre-season a Dragons/ NSW fan who never got over being taunted by Alfie back in the '90s found the Monkey Paw and wished for the Broncos to get the spoon...

I kept waiting for Paulo to back into a tackle and offload out the back with a support runner. Didn't see it happen - I don't get it, his skill set is immense and yet he wasn't let loose? Playing to instructions?
There was no one there pushing up in support for him to even try that.

The_Frog

First Grade
Has calling a Qld team the worst in history ever turned out good for us?
Like the Pommy press calling Border's side the worst ever ahead of the '89 Ashes. Result: Australia 4-0. An outcome that flattered the losers, rain saving England twice. They would not beat Australia in a Test series home or away until the following century.

The_Frog

First Grade
Gould is not respected outside the riff and channel 9 as he is a know-it-all coward who could not tie Bennett’s laces when it comes to coaching.
Keep trying.
Very few can. He knew when to give it away and move on to other endeavours, though. His record of winning two premierships at different clubs by the age of 33 will probably never be beaten.

Last edited:

Reflector

Juniors
Like the Pommy press calling Border's side the worst ever ahead of the '89 Ashes. Result: Australia 4-0. An outcome that flattered the losers, rain saving England twice. They would not beat Australia in a Test series home or away until the following century.

When a Qld side picked is criticised they're called rubbish (or words to that effect). I've noticed that over the years when a similarly inexperienced NSW side is picked they get tagged 'The baby Blues'

You can't just look at series results to deem someone's ability or not though. This year's series winning coach lost his first four consecutive games coaching Origin. Phil Gould was in charge of a NSW side that got swept against a team coached by Paul f**king Vautin. It wasn't that Pearce played in losing teams, it was how he played. Think that infamous gif of him murdering a 3-man overlap that cost NSW a certain try (and the series). Think his kicking game, more predictable than guessing the Wiggles wardrobe. Cleary (to date) has had a bigger and more positive influence on the NSW team than Pearce ever had and it had zero to do with who Qld ran out. Cleary is still 23.

As for the "worst Qld team in history", I'd argue the 2000 team was worse. Maybe not worse on paper, but they played worse. They failed to turn up and keep the series alive at Lang Park, then got routed 56-16 with pride on the line. It was a heartless effort, even if they had the likes of Tallis and Lockyer in the team (interestingly, Darren was the same age as Cleary is now- but more on Locky in a sec). The worst ever NSW team I've seen was the 2010 squad. You want to see what a Craig Bellamy team looks like without his Qld stars to elevate his reputation, there it was in all it's uninspiring grubbiness.

You talk about great halfbacks dragging their team out of a hole, but JT often couldn't turn it around on his own when playing behind beaten Cowboys or Maroons packs. On the subject of halves, Lockyer was in his late 20's when the Qld selectors told him his days were numbered if he didn't step up- which he did in champion fashion. You're comparing DCE, a guy with 10+ years NRL experience to Nathan, who is still just 23 years old.

Huh..

Indeed you can’t define ability on results..

Cleary has been a great club player but in 8 games of origin so far he’s had 1 good game. 1.. which was his 7th against a side that flew in on match day.

You’ve highlighted Pearce botching an overlap.. well put together a montage of Cleary 4th n 5th tackle options in games 1 & 3 this season... actually... do it for all games last year and the year before.. you’ll find some glory in game 7 but absolute raspberries in all others. His first try assist was in his 7th origin game!

His 7th!!!!

A better influence than Pearce??

That’s a matter of opinion but mine is he’s proven no better than any other halfback we’ve ever had. But currently he is our best option. Had a great season with the Panthers and given season 2020 I’ll give most players a huge pat on the back for all their efforts in getting through the year.

Yep he’s 23... lot of years to improve and prove himself. But he’s not nearly done it yet in State of Origin. I just hope he doesn’t head down the same path as Pearce coz it’s eerily the same right now...

Another bit of absolute brilliance from Freddie was how he used Brown.

5-10 mins into the second half NSW needed someone who could come on and lift them, the perfect candidate was sitting right there and he barely got any game time - 12 minutes to be exact.

If he was barely going to use 1 of the forwards, why didn’t he opt for a utility instead like Paypenhauzen who would have been a game changer.

When your forwards are exhausted the bench players are meant to come on a relief them, how Freddie came to the decision that only 12 minutes was needed is truely insane.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Another bit of absolute brilliance from Freddie was how he used Brown.

5-10 mins into the second half NSW needed someone who could come on and lift them, the perfect candidate was sitting right there and he barely got any game time - 12 minutes to be exact.

If he was barely going to use 1 of the forwards, why didn’t he opt for a utility instead like Paypenhauzen who would have been a game changer.

When your forwards are exhausted the bench players are meant to come on a relief them, how Freddie came to the decision that only 12 minutes was needed is truely insane.

You didn’t need 4 bench forwards not when the other forwards are mostly 80 minute players

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Meninga and Lewis were overrated, especially at that stage of there careers and Langer, while I hate to admit it I always felt Ricky Stuart was a far superior half back.

95 no way we should have won, that was a ridiculous result, to beat that blues team with the team we had, we won all 3. One win, maybe, in a dead rubber and the blues don't show up. When I was younger I was all yeah, Qld spirit, passion etc...etc, as I've gotten older I really question the integrity of that series now, blues had won 3 in a row, we had the shittest team in history yet somehow come up with a whitewash, a f**ken whitewash, yeah nah

Holy crap!
Ease up turbo
No self respecting queenslander would ever say Stuart was better than langer
Langer was better than Johns ffs

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Poor selections usually occur when the first choice players are injured. That said Crichton should have go a go at centre.
Wighton should have been at 6.

Mitchell and staggs should come in but again you are left with 3 centres with Crichton

During the maroons dominance the team nearly selected itself. There were only ever a couple of decisions required by our selectors. Actually getting paid to be a maroons selector in those days equated to theft in my opinion.

Anyway I can’t remember when it was that nsw had that kind of luxury and when they did it didn’t last for long.

I reckon we could be in real trouble next series though if the blues have a bit of luck on the injury front

We do have Munster however and Harry grant has arrived also. With Welch papalli Collins and gagai things are good

Latest posts